Which ROM and why (for those who have tried multiple)

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by jhietter, Apr 10, 2010.

1. jhietter

jhietter New Member

OK, I'm sure this has been done a bunch, but I can't find a good, clear poll with experienced comments that's recent.

What are your thoughts? Why do you like what you like? What are the pros & cons of the different ROMs you've tried?
  2. jhietter

jhietter New Member

Ud & dm

I started out with that weird Greek ROM a few months ago, then updated to Bugless Beast for a couple of days before settling on Sholes. I went through a few different versions of that and ended, of course, on DM1, where I stayed for quite a while. I just got too antsy seeing all these other ROMs, so I did some reading and the best things I read were about BD's UD, so I tried 7.8. It was faster & more stable than DM1, which surprised me. So I've been on UD since, but I'm hesitant to make the move to 9.8, because BD has created his own base with this one and it seems like maybe some kinks might need to be worked out - but the main reason is that UDv9 does everything I want and it's fast & stable so I don't see the benefit.

Today I tried the latest Cyanogen, but restored UD after a couple of hours - it seemed slower and I didn't see any benefit.

I have no doubt that I'll go back to DM when they release their next one, but I have a feeling I'm on the fastest & most stable ROM.

Edit: Been running rooted Stock 2.1 (mine is from Pete, but it's still pure stock) for a few weeks now and it would take some major features to get me to switch. I have no issues. Nothing. The camera and every other feature always works instantly no matter where I am or what I'm doing. NO freeze ups, ever. Yeah, this is the one. I've themed a mixture of nextheme, 928's theme, and Droidinator to make the perfect theme for it too.
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  3. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

Ok if you are looking for good looks choose adamz or ud, for speed choose chevyno1, and for both choose bugless. They all get about the same amount of battery.
  4. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

UD 9.8 has been very solid for me. No kinks here.
  5. jourdannick

jourdannick New Member

UD 9.8 works perfectly. Fast, stable, I actually have never had to overclock yet. It runs much cooler then UD 9. Everything is perfect on UD 9.8. I was with CM for a while and loved it. But after I switched back to UD I stuck with it because it seemed much better.
  6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I'd guess these will be common reasons, and were for me.

1) the darn thing works and is stable
    2) good support from the dev/community. If it breaks or I have a problem others exist to help me out
    3) look and feel. I'm happy with it and can tweak that further if I want to.

The above is why I've stuck with it

The below is why I chose it in the first place:

1) good list of features
    2) instructions were layed out nicely for a manual install
    3) the day I decided to root the first few posts in the thread I started recommended this one. I went with the crowd's advice and here I am.

I think if the first 3 occur that breeds some loyalty. Sure, you bought a GM and a Ford might save you some gas but if you really like the car you stick with the brand. It starts up, has some speed to it, and I like the color.
  7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I just love and prefer CyanogenMod because first its just cool to know I'm using an almost legendary source build of the original Android custom ROM lol. This ROM has been compiled and tweaked for years since the G1 and infancy of Android itself. And now we finally have this very widely used build on Motorola :) not to mention certain little features such as 360 degree auto-rotation and built-in tethering into Settings are pretty neat. And yes it does come as "stock" themed, but that is because it is meant to be a kind of, "supped" up stock phone instead of the one Google and Verizon give us. Just like how DroidMod is stock themed. It is meant for the user to do whatever they want with it.
  8. shmoo

shmoo New Member

I started out on the sholes ROMs and stuck with them for quite a while. But then I started seeing and hearing about of these different ROMs and, well, I just had to see for myself. I mean I didn't root so that I could stick to just one. I can say that I have tinkered with just about every ROM from each of the devs and after staying on UD for a while I found that I was more satisfied with Chevys SS, and especially his new ESE81 based ROM. Its runs very smooth and cool. Even with his 1250 kernel it runs cool. Its fast and stable. I very rarely get an FC of any sort. That's just me tho. I think it comes down to personal preference IMO.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I've been using Ultimate Droid for a while now after using Bugless for a long time. I tried CM for a short while. I'm now stuck on UD because it just plain works on my phone - fast, stable and trouble free. I can't find a reason to change to anything else. The longer we go with Rom development, the more the "same" that all become. The main differences, as I see it at this point, is in the appearance/themes. They all work great, though some may work a little better or worse on an individual phone.

One thing I really, really like about Ultimate is BD's intense involvement and responsiveness on this board. He responds and responds quickly.
  10. Chris-pee

Chris-pee New Member

I like bugless because it is fast, stable.im not a fan of themes or launchers.it has a nice stock look to it but with all the goodies.
  11. mostendorf34

mostendorf34 New Member

I started with DroidMod then went to UD 8.6.3 then went to Cyanogen for 5.0.5.6 and 5.0.5.7 and just went back to UD 9.8 and will never switch again.

It hands down runs the most cool, the quickest and is the most stable, the only thing i miss are having the battery % in the battery icon on my notification bar and having option to reboot the phone when pressing the power button which are both on cyanogen by are two things that are in no way a necessity... my biggest thing with cyanogen was random lag and heat, but everyones phone responds differently.
  12. masters

masters New Member

Very Simple way to know what ROM is BEST..

Simply look at the Android Roms folder and look at the number of people viewing the different ROM Sub-Forums.. Which one has the highest number??

13. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Well not really... Koush's subforum is very new. Up until now people could only go to the cyanogenmod forum.

Some might also say that more viewers for a forum means more users have problems. Also, many people use DM, but just don't go to the forum as much because it's stable and no recent changes.
  14. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

I have been bouncing around Chevy's, UD's, and most recently CyanogenMod. They all are good ROMS. Out of the 3 I've experienced issues only with one of the UD versions.

I also tried BB, but didn't care for it and went back to Chevy's SS after a couple of hours.

My favorite is ChevyNo1's RoM. Simply Stunning are consistantly the Fastest, smoothest, stable, and best looking of any the other ROMS.

Mike
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  15. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

All that proves is which one has the most trolls. Just kidding. :p

But seriously that proves nothing, because his ROM can only be found on this forum. Chevy, Pete, AdamZ, Koush, and many others post theirs on other forums. So while they don't have 0157015701 people hitting F5 in their respective forum here, they are on other forums spread out thinner. Also a lot of the people in his forum are posting problems, "GOOGLE MAPS BROKE?!?!!?" or whatever. Nothing against BD and his ROM, just saying that way of thinking is flawed.

Really there is no best ROM. What works for me, may not work for you. As you can see a lot of people have their favorites in this thread. The only way to find out which one you like the best is to try them all. Just because something is popular doesn't make it the best. All of the ROMs are rather close in features and performance. I could put up a poll asking about musical groups and get similar results. Just because Linkin Park is popular doesn't mean they are the best band out there. If you like them that is fine, if you don't like them that is cool too, but don't lock yourself into one ROM dev. Quite a few put a lot of effort into their work, and do a really good job with it. Try as many as you have time to give a shot. That way you can truly find out which one is the best, to the only person it matters to, you.

BTW I voted for all of them except Xeudoxus, because he doesn't have a ROM, yet at least. ;)
  16. pepsi149

pepsi149 New Member

ud 9.8.....dominator 2.0......fast stable......all that i gotta say....jakes kernels
  17. jhietter

jhietter New Member

Great comments! I'd like to do this poll elsewhere too because this forum is indeed BD's gathering place, while there are other sites for Cyanogen, DM, etc.

I know what works best for me. It's nice (and educational) to know other folks' experiences and preferences, so keep 'em coming. Great info!
  18. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Hmm, coming from DroidMod, nothing else was stable enough for me, so I cooked my own homebrew of choice components available here and there from big names...

Pete's stock rooted ESE81 / Chevy's low voltage 1.25GHz 7-slot 2.1 OC kernel / Gearhead's stock C_01.3E.03P update of Pete's and Steve's baseband / HelixLauncher .07Beta2 / Barnacle wireless tether. All running cooly at 250MHz-1.25GHz conservative scaling with 45C/800MHz failsafe.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  19. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I like UD but I use Cyanogen because it has a smaller footprint.
  20. victorythagr8

victorythagr8 New Member

I started off using bugless beast since it was the most stable for me until koush port of cyanogen came out. Really having the ability to have APP2SD alone was worth it for me. Now i don't have to cringe when im installing Homerun Battle 3D, Google Earth, Zenonia, Caligo Chaser and other apps that install more than 10mb worth of data to the rom. And its also the fastest rom for me too.
Search tags for this page

cyandroidmod.com