Which providers are available with an unlocked MotoDroid?

atwitsend

Reaction score
I'm sure there's some post somewhere on this site about this, but I've done so much searching without a real answer that I just can't stand one more search. I feel stupid for not thinking of this sooner, but I just recently realized I could just go straight to the home of Droid (by googling Droid forums). Anyways, onto my point. I want a Motorola Droid, but I can't stand the available plans from Verizon. If I were to get an Unlocked Motorola Droid, which providers could I use with it? My current provider is Boost, their Unlimited plan is by far my favorite, but I'm not holding my breath for being able to get a Motorola Droid with Boost service because I happen to know their very restrictive. So anyway, I just want to know what my choices are for the Motorola Droid sans Verizon?

I apologize again if this is a common thread around here or anything, and I thank you all for your time.

-At Wits End

Guurzak

Reaction score
The big providers using CDMA/EVDO technology are Verizon and Sprint. If Alltel still exists where you are, they're compatible too, but they're now owned by Verizon so if you're avoiding Big V you may want to give Alltel a pass too.

A more complete list is here.

With that said- Verizon has some new plans coming out very soon with better pricing. Browse around these forums for more info. And also remember that you get what you pay for- Verizon's plans are expensive because their network really is better. I wouldn't want to save $10 a month if it meant more dropped calls and thinner 3G coverage.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Also remember that CDMA phones are not like unlocked GSM phones where you can just pop in another SIM card and go on like normal. To activate a CDMA phone on another network it has to be flashed to that network to be able to take the PRL from the other carrier. The only CDMA provider I know of that will do this is Cricket, but they have to have a flash of the phone available, and I'm not sure that they have a data plan at all.

G'Ner

Reaction score
Also I beleive CDMA Black/White lists ESN based on carrier. When I worked for Sprint if I tried to active a Version ESN it would come back invalid.

OP
A

atwitsend

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you were extremely helpful. Thank you thank you thank you. It was so difficult to get a straight answer to a simple question, and as you can tell, I was very frustrated (seeing as my username is "at wits end").