Which phone?

LDB415

Reaction score
I currently have a Verizon HTC Thunderbolt and an ATT Galaxy SII. I am dropping ATT due to mediocre performance when checking email etc.. I can start the SII checking email then scratch my ear, rub my eyes, tuck my shirt tail in tighter, pull up my socks, scratch my other ear and then start the HTC checking email and finish reading the first email before the SII finally downloads the list of emails. Anyway, I'm cancelling ATT which will save $75 a month. I'll add a line for $10 plus $30 data. I'm not sure which phone to go for.

I don't get very good battery life with the SII. I can go all day but if I forget to plug it in overnight it may wake me up at 04:xx with the low battery alert.

I'm on the road a lot for work. I want something I could watch shows on abc.com or similar if I choose to do so. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my current number. Verizon tells me I can use that number on the HTC where it is or I can choose to put it on the new phone if I want. I want a large screen for just in case.

I want good call quality.

Suspect list:
Galaxy SIII
Galaxy Note
Razr Maxx HD

So, is one of these the best choice or should I be looking at an as yet unnamed fourth suspect?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you're concerned with battery, build quality and radio reception i'd go with the Maxx HD.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jseah

Reaction score
My Galaxy Note II battery life beats my wife's Razr Maxx (not HD). That said, the Galaxy SIII won't be able to touch the battery life on either the Note or the Maxx unless you spring for the extended battery, but then that will also mean you will effectively double the thickness of the phone.

Reaction score
I currently have a Verizon HTC Thunderbolt and an ATT Galaxy SII. I am dropping ATT due to mediocre performance when checking email etc.. I can start the SII checking email then scratch my ear, rub my eyes, tuck my shirt tail in tighter, pull up my socks, scratch my other ear and then start the HTC checking email and finish reading the first email before the SII finally downloads the list of emails. Anyway, I'm cancelling ATT which will save $75 a month. I'll add a line for $10 plus $30 data. I'm not sure which phone to go for.

I don't get very good battery life with the SII. I can go all day but if I forget to plug it in overnight it may wake me up at 04:xx with the low battery alert.

I'm on the road a lot for work. I want something I could watch shows on abc.com or similar if I choose to do so. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my current number. Verizon tells me I can use that number on the HTC where it is or I can choose to put it on the new phone if I want. I want a large screen for just in case.

I want good call quality.

Suspect list:
Galaxy SIII
Galaxy Note
Razr Maxx HD

So, is one of these the best choice or should I be looking at an as yet unnamed fourth suspect?

I have the galaxy s3 which I love and definitely recommend however I recently went to the vzw store and was checking out the droid dna and the screen absolutely blew my mind. Best I've ever seen by far. Just something to keep in mind.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
If you're concerned with battery is go with the Maxx HD.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong I love my GS3, but if battery is your primary concern, I'd go Maxx HD. S3 battery isn't bad. At all. I easily get a full days use with fairly heavy usage (at least on ICS, we'll see about JB). But, the Maxx HD's is better. So if you don't mind a nonremovable battery and like the Maxx HD design. The Droid DNA supposedly has really good battery life as well.

But I don't even need to think about another phone right now. I'm still having a blast with this one. 4 1/2 months later and it's still the best little gadget I've ever had. And in the world of gadgets, that's an accomplishment!

Peirceman

Reaction score
Verizon no longer has unlimited data plans. The only way to keep your unlimited data is to buy the phone at full price.

OP
L

LDB415

Reaction score
I have unlimited data on my HTC phone and was told I can swap the numbers between phones to have unlimited on whichever phone I prefer. The other phone will be 2gb limit or whatever the limit is.

Peirceman

Reaction score
I guess that would work if you have more than one phone with unlimited data. Just make sure whoever told you that knows what he or she is talking about. Cell phone salespeople are not always the sharpest tools in the shed.

stolen678

Reaction score
I personally have unlimited data on my GS3, and go through 30 gigabytes a month. I broke my S3, and was able to use my wifes upgrade to get a new S3, and then activate it on my line on the unlimited data plan.
In terms of battery life, I have used all of the phones. I feel the Note is too big for me, and Motorola doesnt float my boat for mobile devices. I find the battery life in my S3 is good enough to last me (a heavy user) all day, but i carry a spare battery just in case. As for the Droid DNA, I cant use a phone that doesnt have removable storage or battery. The DNA does not have very good battery life. The nice screen is a significant drain on battery life.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Agreed.

Don't get me wrong I love my GS3, but if battery is your primary concern, I'd go Maxx HD. S3 battery isn't bad. At all. I easily get a full days use with fairly heavy usage (at least on ICS, we'll see about JB). But, the Maxx HD's is better. So if you don't mind a nonremovable battery and like the Maxx HD design. The Droid DNA supposedly has really good battery life as well.

But I don't even need to think about another phone right now. I'm still having a blast with this one. 4 1/2 months later and it's still the best little gadget I've ever had. And in the world of gadgets, that's an accomplishment!

When comparing the MAXX HD to the S3, sure. But when the Note 2 is brought into the mix, that changes things.

The MAXX HD has a non-removable 3300mAh battery while the Note 2 has a removable 3100mAh battery. Even with the larger screen and processor, the battery life on my Note 2 is on par with what I got on the original MAXX. The battery life of the MAXX HD is reported to be pretty close to the original, which wouldn't put it too far ahead of the Note 2 (and even with a slight increase, the removable battery in the Note 2 really gives it the edge in my book).