Which keyboard do you use?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dolfanpete, Dec 15, 2010.

1. dolfanpete

dolfanpete Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rooted d1 and use the stock keyboard. I guess it's okay, I have learned to get used to it considering I went with the Droid 1 because of the physical keyboard ( which I don't even use anymore ) but I have some issues and was wondering if there are some much better keyboards out there. I'm looking for one that might have a .com as a key shortcut. I guess that is my biggest gripe. Also one that has keys that are a little bigger. The landscape mode is ok but the vertical mode is impossible for me to type. So with that said I'd like to know which keyboard you favor. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

2. dbst

dbst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    IMO the best keyboard is Swype but you need to be signed up for the beta to get it, I think the best market keyboard is SwiftKey

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. Dugall12

Dugall12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried a bunch of them on my D1 running CM 6.1 including Better Keyboard and Swift Key and for my money Smart Keyboard Pro is tops. Its highly customizable, very snappy, supports long presses, different languages, adjustable keyboard size, arrow buttons, and themes. I'm using the Gingerbread theme found on their forums and its pretty nice. I also like the built in HTC theme. I suggest you check it out, you shouldn't be disappointed.

4. thexxoffspring

Ratings:
    +0
    Swype and Smart Keyboard IMO are the best. Who ever says Swiftkey is the best needs to get out of the hole they're living in. Lol :D dancedroid

5. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've used quite a few keyboards - all the popular ones blah blah. I've settled on Smart Keyboard Pro. I love the spaced out key design and it doesn't lag like many others. Love how you can hold a key down to get other keyboard options rather than switching like stock.

6. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have an X and I've been using the Swype keyboard since day one. It's funny, I find the landscape screen TOO large of a keyboard, the portrait screen is just right for me. I'm a woman but I don't even have especially small hands. (I've actually been locking my rotate for much of the day because I'm preferring portrait.)

So I gather the D1 doesn't have the Swype option? Have you signed up for the Beta program? They were sending out emails last week I believe?

7. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also like smart keyboard pro, for some reason I can type crazy fast on it and I like the skins that it comes with. I also like how you can shorten or lengthen how the duration of your long press for other keyboard options.

I liked swype but I never found myself getting into a groove and just flying with it.

8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I've used all of the ones that are available as 3rd party apps. However, I now use the Gingerbread keyboard. It works well and I love the new "shadow" keys.

9. dr3wv4n3

dr3wv4n3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I missed the boat on registering for Swype. I used the on-screen stock keyboard in horizontal mode for my fat fingers. Its just easier for me than the physical keyboard.

10. travisn000

travisn000 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I use Ultimate Keyboard... It supports optional swype style entry, but has better prediction / correction and can be customized very extensively (show/hide number row, arrow keys, toolbar; customize height of keys, etc)

I also purchased SwiftKey awhile back, but had constant Force Close issues with recent "updates"... I haven't tested the most latest update as I have been happy with Ultimate Keyboard.

11. gsDroid

gsDroid Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I always come back to swype because of the edit screen which includes all the cursor controls. Page up/down, home/end, del/backspace, left, right, up, down, etc. I have trouble getting the cursor to the right place to make an edit without them. Swype from the swype key to the sym key to bring it up.

12. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    ^^^Awesome. I didn't know about that option. THANK YOU!

Search tags for this page

galaxy s3 which keyboard

is there an android keyboard with direction arrows?

slideit direction keys disappeared