Which is more stable, iOS or Android?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android vs iOS – Which Is Really More Stable? New Data May Surprise YouDidn't see this posted anywhere yet so I thought I would drop it over here via XDA. Interesting, though I think it's clear that bias by certain bloggers and so-called "reviewers" is the only reason the issues that people have with iOS aren't reported that often. Each has it's flaws, just nice to see reality in numbers though.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I've seen that story...and I am sorry, but I have to call bull****. In my experience, the iPhone is definitely more stable. I have never seen an app crash on there myself.

Of course, it is more stable because it is doing a lot less. If you only drove around the block at 20mph, you would probably be a lot less likely to get into a wreck than someone who commutes to work on the highway.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Actually apps on iPhone crash a lot. My friend had a replacement app for Google music and it literally crashed three times in a row when I tried to open it.

Not the only app that crashed there are a lot more. But as far as apps crashing its very rare that my phones ever crashed

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Overall stability goes to the iPhone. I've seen iPhone apps crash, but definitely not as often as Android apps.

nikecar

Reaction score
iOs users think its a standard feature of their phone. Android users know better and whine about it.

Reaction score
Android in my opinion. Never had am issues really. Plus i can hold my Android in my left or right hand and can still kerp my calls lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

wseyller

Reaction score
Ios is not fragmented like android so you have different builds of android made by many different manufacturers adding their own code in. If there is any comparison of stability then it should only allow discussion with pure vanilla android build.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Ios is not fragmented like android
That is incorrect. My nephew's iTouch cannot run the lastest iOS version. Neither can my roommate's iPhone...he does not get to use SIRI.

It is a myth that iOS is not also fragmented. it is just LESS fragmented than Android.

Insidious

Reaction score
My itouch cant run iOS 4 or 5, and my brother has one and it seems more buggy than Android. That actually surprised me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

wseyller

Reaction score
That is incorrect. My nephew's iTouch cannot run the lastest iOS version. Neither can my roommate's iPhone...he does not get to use SIRI.

It is a myth that iOS is not also fragmented. it is just LESS fragmented than Android.

Well of course there are a few ios versions. I didn't want to complicate my point. I'm not even arguing the handful the android versions. I'm talking about the same version of OS gets modified dozens of times. HTC, Moto, Samsung, LG and all others have fragmented android even within the same version of Android. With Apple you at least have the same company that designs the device and the os. With android it will be an extreme range when it comes to stability.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It won't be long before it's an Apples to Oranges comparison (forgive the pun). Android's goals are much larger and broad-brushed than Apple's. I'm not saying better, just bigger. Android is coming at it from strictly an OS perspective, while iOS has the device right alongside the OS. Android wants to be on every cheap or expensive handset in the world, and open sources themselves so any OEM, government, military, whomever, can take Android, put it on their device, and do what they want with it. iOS has (or at least had) no such goals.

So soon, saying "Android is more stable than iOS" will be like saying "General Motors' vehicles are more reliable than the 2010 Toyota Camry LE".

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
My iphone 3gs was awful with app stability, but usually good with system stability. Apps crashed all the time for me, but I only had to reset the phone maybe ten times in the year that I had it.
My bionic is much better for app stability (with two exceptions: gta3 and the droidforums app!), but if an app (gta3 to be precise) crashes it can bring the whole system to its knees. I guess other than the one app causing trouble, though, my bionic has been very stable. Before I started playing gta3, I would easily reach three weeks of uptime or more without having to ever restart or turn off the phone. Three weeks of uptime is comparable to what I got with my iphone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Well of course there are a few ios versions. I didn't want to complicate my point. I'm not even arguing the handful the android versions. I'm talking about the same version of OS gets modified dozens of times. HTC, Moto, Samsung, LG and all others have fragmented android even within the same version of Android. With Apple you at least have the same company that designs the device and the os. With android it will be an extreme range when it comes to stability.
Well, they have not really fragmented though. I can run GoLauncher on ANY of those phones and it will work the same on all of them. They are not really different OS's...they are the same OS with slightly different UIs. An app that runs on one is likely to run on all.

Tenshino

Reaction score

Your comment is mis-informed. The different manufacturers do make different modifications to set their phones apart, but all members of the OHA are required to make sure their operating systems conform to the Android Compatibility Suite and pass its test in order to be "certified" by Google. No certification, no access to the Play store (officially, anyway). That said, if you buy one of these super-cheap $50 Android devices, it's kinda silly to complain that it doesn't work as well as a $600 device. It is almost always the case that you get what you pay for.

So, "fragmentation" in the context you're using here is incorrect.