Which has less connection problems? The Gnex or Razr?

baldybill

Reaction score

I live in the rural part of the country, so I already am limited in cell towers and all.

hydro556

Reaction score
Cant answer that for sure without accurate data, but my guess is they are both good, and the negative comments are overblown for all devices.

That said I would expect them both to be corrected, with the GNex possibly being updated first since it is Google's Nexus device.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
All VZW 4G LTE phones have some sort of data drop issue. Test them out yourself. Get a phone through Best Buy. If it doesn't work well then try another one. IF you go through Verizon, they charge a restocking fee.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Sprint has no cell towers where I live, lol.

Any other thoughts?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I live in the rural part of the country, so I already am limited in cell towers and all.

This is a tricky question. I agree all the LTE phones are having issues right now. Doesnt help that Verizon's LTE service has been flaky lately. Since you mention the area you live in is limited in cell towers, I assume the reception in that area isnt too good? If thats the case...I would lean towards the RAZR. If for nothing else history and current affairs with Moto, Samsung and reception.

Even with that said...I think the LTE chip in the G Nex will offer faster speeds. Read recently that the G Nex and Rezound use Cat 3 technology while the Bionic and RAZR use Cat 2. Article said Cat 3 offers higher speeds. Question is if it cant really hold or get a signal where you live...what good is it?

Only real way to tell is get both and use them.

moonline

Reaction score
This is a tricky question. I agree all the LTE phones are having issues right now. Doesnt help that Verizon's LTE service has been flaky lately. Since you mention the area you live in is limited in cell towers, I assume the reception in that area isnt too good? If thats the case...I would lean towards the RAZR. If for nothing else history and current affairs with Moto, Samsung and reception.
www.lalinguaarabapertutti.com

Even with that said...I think the LTE chip in the G Nex will offer faster speeds. Read recently that the G Nex and Rezound use Cat 3 technology while the Bionic and RAZR use Cat 2. Article said Cat 3 offers higher speeds. Question is if it cant really hold or get a signal where you live...what good is it?

Only real way to tell is get both and use them.

so much intersting

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Verizon's LTE network is young and there are issues all the way around. You want the best LTE connectivity while riding out the storm go with Motorola product. They can't be beat in this department.

Sent from Droid RAZR

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
If your in a rural area dont waste your time or money on a 4g phone when chances are there is little to no reliable 4g in your location. 4g phones do not get 3g data nearly as good as a 3g phone does ...4g is still in on the learning curve yet ...both with devices and networks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Looking to replace my OG Droid. I'm still torn between the Razr and the Galaxy Nexus.

My OG has barely decent reception where I live. It's generally in the -88 to -98 range.

I compared my droid in a store with these two phones. Mind you the store had a repeater, so even my DROID got decent reception tHere. But the razr was actually about 5 or 10 better than mine aNd the gnex was about 5 or so worse.

So here is what I am looking at possibly
OG Droid -88 to -98
Razr -78 (at best) to -93
Gnex -93 to -105 (at worst?)

I love the fact that the Gnex is stock ICS, will be updated quicker, is easier to root/customize, seems to be supported by the droid community better.

But what are your thoughts on the reception?
Are these numbers decent enough to get the gnex? Or go safer with the razr?
Will these numbers improve with updates or anything?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since the G Nex shows decibel and bar reading different than the RAZR and OG, its hard to compare by that. It might have been better to put the G Nex in 3G only mode and then test. Even then its no guarantee it will be what you're looking for.

As always with signal, phone reception, the only real way to know is get it and test it yourself where you spend most of your time. The G Nex will get an update so it shows readings like other phones.

My thoughts on reception...if we all lived, worked, spent most of our time, traveled in good to great reception areas....reception wouldnt matter. Some of us, like me that lives n works in a bad reception area, one could say very bad...reception is my biggest priority, followed by battery life. Or vice versa for me. If some phones dont perform as good as others for reception ...its not necessarily a bad thing....sometimes it is what it is. We just have to figure out what we want from our phones. Its not like the iPhone 4 antenna issue which IMO is a defect.

I just switched to a family plan. And testing my RAZR and DX1 in my apt which is virtually a dead zone....my DX1 got a lil better 3G speeds. Whats wild is the RAZR actually got 4G in my apt tho. Raw Dodge just posted this in this thread, I didnt really believe it...but I think he's right. LTE phones really might perform worse on 3G than 3G phones. If thats the case....since we still use 3G for voice...that could be why reception issues are more noticeable on LTE phones.

I have a G Nex coming tomorrow I plan on testing hard for 10 days to decide if I keep it or not. No exchanging phones, no exchanging batteries...Will compare real world reception and battery life against my OG Droid, DX1 and RAZR. It has to at least match my OG Droid in reception for me to even consider keeping it....battery life...thats another iffy area. I'm no expert tho....just a consumer that want my phone to work like it should. And I have yet to get a 1st device that needed to be exchanged for reception or battery life. Only exchange I ever had to do was a bad ESN. Will see how my luck holds up tomorrow...

I will at least get to see ICS first hand while deciding if I keep it.

Last edited: