Which Droid to buy for Root?

BTBK2010

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been a viewer for a long time here and I have owned the original Droid. I've rooted it and done quite a lot with it back in the early days of the Droid. (It is great to see how much less complicated it is to root and install a new ROM what with the untethered installs and whatnot.)

I no longer have the original Droid and no upgrade until late-October. I found 3 different used Droid models I am interested in, but I simply can't decide which one I want. What makes this difficult is that I know there is a huge development community for each of these devices and each with their own awesome customizations.

The 3 Choices are the Droid Incredible, Droid 2, and Droid X. I have seen the first two rooted and running brilliant custom ROMs.

Which of those 3 have the best ROMs available? I am wondering purely from a custom ROMs perspective, I would be fine with either form factor and overall their specs are mostly the same.

Let me know, I will be buying one in a week or two dancedroid

edit: I was also considering the Droid 2 Global. From a ROM perspective, can a Droid 2 Global run a Droid 2 ROM and vice-versa?

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm biased, but I think the X has a great developer community. And with GB now available, it doesn't seem like development will be stopping anytime soon.

superpopmonk

Reaction score
Well, from a ROM standpoint, the d2 and the x are for the most part the same. ROMS usually become available for the x first, but usually they are ported to the droid 2. As for the incredible, im not really sure since I have never really used one. However, if the bootloader is unlocked, odds are in terms of ROMS that it is as good or better than the other two choices

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score
Comparing the DX and D2, would you prefer a larger screen/no keyboard or smaller screen/with keyboard? You had the OG Droid before, so how important was the physical kb to you?

OP
B

BTBK2010

Reaction score
Comparing the DX and D2, would you prefer a larger screen/no keyboard or smaller screen/with keyboard? You had the OG Droid before, so how important was the physical kb to you?

Thanks for the replies. As for the keyboard, it is kind of a non-issue. I liked the original Droids keyboard but I don't necessarily need it.

These phones are my choices because I know that they will have quite a few future developments available. I am curious though whether the Droid Incredibly actually has an advantage over the other 2 because of the unlocked bootloader?