Which droid should I grab?

LOLUMADBRO

Reaction score
I recently broke my Original droid(damn you water damage) and are looking into getting a new android phone, but cant decide which one to get, i am heavily into rooting and android SDK tomfoolery, which phone is best for such matters? i am currently leaning into waiting to pick up a droid bionic when it is released, any thoughts??

Inverse

Reaction score
If you're leaning for the Droid Bionic, you're obviously not wanting any current gen phone. Waiting seems like your better option. Coming off a Droid, I'd want one with a QWERTY keyboard, but that's just me.

r314bd

Reaction score
I won't presume to know what Droid best suits you, but here are some questions I think you should ask before making the decision:

1. Do you live in a 4G city?
2. If not, do you live in a city that is slated to get 4G in the near future? (Here is a list of Verizon's initial 2011 cities)

If your answer to either of those is no, I'd personally hold off on a 4G phone.

Of the remaining Android options, I'd suggest the Droid X or, if you like the physical keyboard, I still think the Droid 1 is the best option. The development community has done (and continues to do) more for the Droid 1 than for any other device. Plus the locked bootloaders of the Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global are a step backward, and the battery life of the D2G is atrocious (I have used both the D1 and the D2G extensively and I definitely prefer the D1)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are into rooting DO NOT get a motorola device. All of their new devices have locked bootloaders which make rooting limited, if not possible at all. You will not have the same rooting freedom you have on a D1 if you buy a new motorola device. I highly suggest not getting a motorola anything. Just my opinion though. Take it as you may.

Inverse

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the above two perspectives are for pure android hackers that want the ultimate everything in hacking their phone. Both the DX and D2 have been rooted and roms are possible for either phone. You just don't have as many options. I'm sure the Bionic will have be rooted and rom'd within the month of its release.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I agree about being wary of Motorola devices. Their locked, encrypted AND bobby-trapped bootloader os a problem - both from a practical standpoint (how do you defeat the lock) as well as from an ethical standpoint - why spend your money supporting Thugs and possible criminals?

My advice is to go with the HTC Thunderbolt, getting a good phone and rewarding a company which does not engage in such dispicable activities.

My two-cents worth...

Sent from my Droid Incredible, using magic...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right, don't support Moto! They are a bunch of criminals, lol. I am going HTC myself. Also remember moto does not make a good camera. If a camera is important to have on a phone than don't put your money on moto.

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
Yea damn that Motorola makeing me choose between Droid R2D2 or global as a replacement for my Droid 2 damn them all but that Bionic really makes me wanna become a "bootloader Cracker azz Nukka" lol send me everything I need to get started today please

Sent from my Superior Android Device

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Right, don't support Moto! They are a bunch of criminals, lol. I am going HTC myself. Also remember moto does not make a good camera. If a camera is important to have on a phone than don't put your money on moto.

I was not trying to be humerous, when I referred to Motorola as Thugs and possible criminals. Conspiracy to commit an act, while sometimes difficult to prove, *is* a crime. And laying booby-traps (efuses) to catch unwary people who mishandle rooting their Droid X is, in my opinion, a conspiracy on the part of Motorola.

-Mike

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

I was not trying to be humerous, when I referred to Motorola as Thugs and possible criminals. Conspiracy to commit an act, while sometimes difficult to prove, *is* a crime. And laying booby-traps (efuses) to catch unwary people who mishandle rooting their Droid X is, in my opinion, a conspiracy on the part of Motorola.

-Mike

Yes you are correct. I shouldn't make lite of the situation. I agree that booby trapping a device that we own and payed good money for is wrong and is malicious. It is only a matter of time before motorola brings on its own demise. I cannot wait for moto to fail.

OP
L

LOLUMADBRO

Reaction score
Alright, seeing all the hate for moto, which phone should i get? a galaxy phone? or an HTC or something?

pyro6128

Reaction score
I've posted this a couple of times on this board but Ill say it again. I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago when my d1 broke. I too am waiting for the new better phones that are coming out soon. What you should do is check craigslist and get yourself a nice phone like a d2 (like i did) or X or something cheap. That will hold you off until the new phones come out. Then when they do, sell the d2 or X, and use that money to get your new phone. That way you always have a nice phone, and the waiting won't be such a chore. And you don't waste your verizon upgrade this way.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thunderbolt looks promising. Also my friend has the HTC incredible and its pretty nice and has roms. My next is an incredible or thunderbolt based on if 4g phones will require a more expensive plan. Samsung is having update problems now I believe.

Sent from my Droid