Which Droid Should I Get?

mtavenger55

Reaction score
I apologies if this is in the wrong thread but since it is in the general discussion thread I thought I would go a head & post my questions here. Next month I am due for a contract upgrade on November 11 & I am planning on finally getting my hands on a Droid phone! However I am still not sure what Droid model to upgrade to. I am at a tie between the Droid 2 & soon to be released Droid Pro as well concidering the Droid X. My question basically is what would you recommend out of the 3 (well obviously you can't help with the Droid Pro yet lol) models for a first time Droid user. My current phone is an old Blackberry Curve 8330 & before that I had the Samsung Omnia which was not a great phone & why I'm a little sketchy on getting an all touch screen phone, even though I know todays touch screens are much better than back then. I bought my Blackberry as a refurbished phone off of ebay because I could not stand the Omnia anymore. As for my Blackberry I really enjoy the way that phone is set up. With the full keyboard & screen on top & that's why I the Pro is a strong contender. However I used a Droid 1 not that long ago for the first time & liked the way that phone is set up but it felt a little heavy. Is the Droid 2 as heavy as Droid 1? Weight isn't really a big deal to me just throwing it out there. How is web browsing on the Droid phones? My Blackberry uses mobile web & is really slow sometimes, but quicker other times. I don't think it's 3g lol. How is the media players on the Droids? I am always on the go & was really excited when Adobe Flash Player was introduced to the phones. What would you upgrade to if you are a current Droid user? Would you recommend a Droid phone to someone else? Or would you say no Droids are horrible? I would really appreciate your help & comments. I can't wait to finally own a Droiddancedroid

~Matt

gaga

Reaction score
I apologies if this is in the wrong thread but since it is in the general discussion thread I thought I would go a head & post my questions here. Next month I am due for a contract upgrade on November 11 & I am planning on finally getting my hands on a Droid phone! However I am still not sure what Droid model to upgrade to. I am at a tie between the Droid 2 & soon to be released Droid Pro as well concidering the Droid X. My question basically is what would you recommend out of the 3 (well obviously you can't help with the Droid Pro yet lol) models for a first time Droid user. My current phone is an old Blackberry Curve 8330 & before that I had the Samsung Omnia which was not a great phone & why I'm a little sketchy on getting an all touch screen phone, even though I know todays touch screens are much better than back then. I bought my Blackberry as a refurbished phone off of ebay because I could not stand the Omnia anymore. As for my Blackberry I really enjoy the way that phone is set up. With the full keyboard & screen on top & that's why I the Pro is a strong contender. However I used a Droid 1 not that long ago for the first time & liked the way that phone is set up but it felt a little heavy. Is the Droid 2 as heavy as Droid 1? Weight isn't really a big deal to me just throwing it out there. How is web browsing on the Droid phones? My Blackberry uses mobile web & is really slow sometimes, but quicker other times. I don't think it's 3g lol. How is the media players on the Droids? I am always on the go & was really excited when Adobe Flash Player was introduced to the phones. What would you upgrade to if you are a current Droid user? Would you recommend a Droid phone to someone else? Or would you say no Droids are horrible? I would really appreciate your help & comments. I can't wait to finally own a Droiddancedroid

~Matt

Hi Matt,
In my opinion it really comes down to, do you need the keyboard or not.

If you are a heavy texter and e-mailer and think you would absolutely need the physical keyboard, you can rule the X out right now.

As for the Pro, it is not released but looks like a good contender if you like the blackberry form factor.

I have owned both a blackberry and a droid and I would have to say the web browsing experience on the droid is far superior to the blackberry. Its nice to take advantage of the 3G and large screen.

I currently have a Droid 1, but I am getting a d2 in the mail tomorrow!
Its a great choice for me because it is just the right size and has the keyboard.
I don't think I have to patiences to deal with a all touch screen device.

Also, the phones are a bit heavy but you get used to it in no time!

Good luck, and make sure you check them out at your local retail store!

chaz.ring

Reaction score
You'll need to go into a VZW location and try them out.... You will quickly notice that the screen's are far superior to a junky ol' omnia... no need for a dumb sylus or ink pen to make the screen react to touch.... If those were the ONLY ones I could get... I would go with the X for sure.

OP
M

mtavenger55

Reaction score
^Yeah that sylus was annoying lol. Thanks for you help guys I'm counting down the days!

bsbabcock

Reaction score
I'm on less than a week of experience with a droid.. Picked up the new phones (two - wife and me) last week, and I can give you this advice.

Don't sweat the idea of a tap keyboard. It took me all of a couple hours messing with the phone to become quite proficient.

I can say I have two comparisons to share.. I picked up a Droid X for myself and an HTC Incredible for my wife. Just from first impressions, if I had it to do again, I would have probably gotten two Incredibles.

Reasons:
The Incredibles HTC Sense overlay/front-end/User interface (not sure what the proper term is) is rockin'.. It's visually gorgeous, and the screen itself, though smaller than the X, appears to be sharper or just easier on the eyes and is plenty big.

The OS, I think, may be slightly more robust 2.2 vs 2.1.. I can site one example where the Incredible dialed right in to my charter email whereas the X has a huge thread in several places where people have issues (because of a charter problem).. But for some reason, charter email on the HTC is no sweat. I couldn't begin to ellaborate why.. It just works. Might be slightly faster but that may be perception by me. I've spent more time I admit on the X.

The HTC supplied widgets are slick.. to look at, and in function.. That's easy enough to fix with app/widget downloads, but it's already done when you get an Incredible.

Also, the tap buttons verses physical buttons on the X.. Nice touch and easier for 1-hand operation on the HTC. A small thing but noticeable.

I do like my X don't get me wrong, and I think those two are the slickest among the verizon non-slide-key type Android phones. I'm still waiting on a 2.2 update for the X that works for a newb like me that's sure enough blessed by the Motorola gods. :)

One NEWB's opinion. :)

jhkang

Reaction score
this sounds silly but its easier to play games with the keyboard imo.
for example if you wanna use the gamboid, idk what i would do without the keyboard LOL

_Killer_

Reaction score
It really does all come down to your own needs...

I hate all touch screen phones.. for the same reasons everyone else that hates them.. I OWNED SOME CRAPPY TOUCH SCREEN WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT! ruined me on touch devices... I have a d1.. REALLY wanted the dx.. but could not go without the keyboard.. I love the d1 though.. great phone. (since they no longer offer it i would recommend the d2 over dx... BUT the dx is still amazing)

OP
M

mtavenger55

Reaction score
Thanks again guys! Now I've been doing some research & in Q1 2011 there seems a lot of hype coming around about the Droid Terminator. As well as the iPhone coming to Verizon (pretty much confirmed lol) but I don't think I want to go over to the dark-side even though it is tempting lol. As much as I don't want to, I think I might wait & see what this Terminator, A.K.A. T2 is all about. Plus not to mention a lot of cool new phones are released around that time anyway. So it all comes down to: A) Do I want a new phone right away & get the Droid 2, X, or Pro? or B) Wait for an awesome new line-up of phones to hit the stores in Q1? You know with all of the hype about a 4G Droid I might just wait. I guess I'll see what I want to do when the time comes. Only 24 daysdancedroid

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

bsbabcock

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this is prime example why I need to do more reading than posting until I learn what I'm talking ahout... I just looked and my X says 2.2 under android type. I thought the official wasn't out yet for the X. Paradigm shift.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk