1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Which car charger to buy?

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by SeattleUser, Aug 29, 2010.

1. SeattleUser

SeattleUser New Member

I have read on this forum that people have problems with their phones if they don't get the right charger so I went to the Verizon store to get an official Droid X car charger. They didn't have such a thing. They wanted to sell me a universal usb car charger. I went to the Motorola site and find that Motorola does market a Motorola branded usb car charger.

Has anyone here used either of these? Any problems?

Thanks.
  2. Brian1

Brian1 New Member

I know what you mean. Same for the Droid 1. But have had no problems with the universal one they sold me. Just no luck on the 110 AC wall chargers other than stock. Brian
  3. reddem0n

reddem0n New Member

4. scf

scf Member

I bought the VZW one that has the micro usb connector for the X, and it has a usb slot for other items to charge with a usb cable. Works slick.
  5. cygnusloop

cygnusloop New Member

It depends what you want the car charger to do. If you want to run GPS/Nav, BT, and stream Pandora, or the like while driving, read this thread.
  6. SeattleUser

SeattleUser New Member

Thanks for the link to the other thread

That is really useful info.
  7. TheJester34

TheJester34 New Member

Question: I've got a power inverter in my car. If I were to take the charger that came with the phone and plug it into the inverter, would that work ok? Battery/amp/everything-electrical n00b here
  8. AtreyuRock

AtreyuRock New Member

I got the same one, only problem is, I have to jam it into my car for it to fit and I have to put it in upside down b/c it wont fit rightside up, then its a pain in the butt to pull it out.

Oh well, does work, however.
  9. dswartze

dswartze New Member

I own (before I got the DX) the Scosche USB12V2 mentioned in the link and used it this weekend with my DX on a 2 hour road trip. I used Navigation and had my bluetooth headset connect. I started out with a fully charged battery and at the end of my trip I was down to 60%!

As I mention in the referenced thread, I agree with another poster that heat as something to do with it.
  10. RuggerJoe

RuggerJoe New Member

Does anyone know what the Rocketfish car chargers are rated at? Didn't see the info on their site.
  11. kdkinc

kdkinc New Member

It Maybe an issue.

In all likely hood you inverter most likely has the correct voltage 110 however the cycle of 60 cps may not be smooth wave cycles (hugh).

You inverter on a graphical oscilloscope puts out a "square wave" as opposed to a smooth up and down wave at 60 cps.

This COULD cause noise or over heating or maybe worse.

Any EEE"s want to can up my answer please jump on in....:icon_eek::icon_eek:
  12. FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER New Member

You can buy the Motorola charges that are recommended for the DroidX on Amazon for about $6.
  13. thx2249

thx2249 New Member

14. TheJester34

TheJester34 New Member

Ok, so I had to use my GPS to find a couple places today, so I tried out the inverter with the charger. It worked. Ran GPS, charged phone, took calls, etc. My only gripe was during the day the phone got wicked hot. I assumed it was from being plugged in. But when I used my GPS tonight plugged in, the phone barely got warm. Makes me think that MAYBE people whos phone won't charge with some chargers are in fact having heating issues (assuming their charger is in fact 850 mA)
  15. themistah

themistah New Member

Just get a charger made by motorolla cheap in price and they work foe me .....got it for 8dollars at fry's.
  16. tmushy

tmushy New Member

i too have been trying to find a good charger. it seems these aftermarket ones put out 500ma. the droid x oem wall charger is 850ma.
  17. kdkinc

kdkinc New Member

I'm using a Dual USB charger I bought at walmart.
    Its rated to output "1" amp per USB side.
    The Manufacture is Griffin And the cost was about $13.00.

As a side not the car charger I was using had "RF" interference on my radio at times while using my DX and Slacker radio via 3.5 connector wire.
    The Griffin is NOT so bad still a bit of "RF"
    :icon_eek::icon_eek:
  18. reddem0n

reddem0n New Member

Hi there, are you saying the one Verizon provides will no be able to use the max features with your phone. If I use it it will most likely only be just Pandora & my GPS?
  19. cygnusloop

cygnusloop New Member

Verizon sells a variety of car chargers. No car charger comes with the X. It seems that in some cases a charger that puts out 1A or more is required to keep up with the battery drain when all the radios are on. But there are also other variables, in particular, heat. In some cases, it seems, that once the battery get to a certain temperature, charging shuts off no matter what the charger current. AFIK, it has yet to be determined how much the X will draw given ideal circumstances.

Personally, (I use the PowerJolt2 2Amp charger with a 28/24 AWG usb cable from monoprice) I have been able to run the phone at max and have the phones charge increase. However, I have had one instance (on a very hot day, with the sun beating on the phone -my bad- that the charging shut off and the charge began to drain. Once the phone cooled down a bit, all was well.
  20. dswartze

dswartze New Member

I am using the same setup .... and notice the same issue with heat. Once the battery temp hits around 105 F it stops charging. It is a pain since the car dock sits in the window! On long trips I actually keep my DX in the center console of my car and not the dock. A pain!

Also, anyone notice just how hot your DX gets when using Navigator?
Search tags for this page
amperage of motorola phone universal charger

cps car charger

usb car charger radio interference