Which car charger to buy?

SeattleUser

Reaction score
I have read on this forum that people have problems with their phones if they don't get the right charger so I went to the Verizon store to get an official Droid X car charger. They didn't have such a thing. They wanted to sell me a universal usb car charger. I went to the Motorola site and find that Motorola does market a Motorola branded usb car charger.

Has anyone here used either of these? Any problems?

Thanks.

Brian1

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Same for the Droid 1. But have had no problems with the universal one they sold me. Just no luck on the 110 AC wall chargers other than stock. Brian

reddem0n

Reaction score

scf

Reaction score
I bought the VZW one that has the micro usb connector for the X, and it has a usb slot for other items to charge with a usb cable. Works slick.

cygnusloop

Reaction score
It depends what you want the car charger to do. If you want to run GPS/Nav, BT, and stream Pandora, or the like while driving, read this thread.

OP
S

SeattleUser

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the other thread

That is really useful info.

TheJester34

Reaction score
Question: I've got a power inverter in my car. If I were to take the charger that came with the phone and plug it into the inverter, would that work ok? Battery/amp/everything-electrical n00b here

AtreyuRock

Reaction score
I bought the VZW one that has the micro usb connector for the X, and it has a usb slot for other items to charge with a usb cable. Works slick.

I got the same one, only problem is, I have to jam it into my car for it to fit and I have to put it in upside down b/c it wont fit rightside up, then its a pain in the butt to pull it out.

Oh well, does work, however.

dswartze

Reaction score
It depends what you want the car charger to do. If you want to run GPS/Nav, BT, and stream Pandora, or the like while driving, read this thread.

I own (before I got the DX) the Scosche USB12V2 mentioned in the link and used it this weekend with my DX on a 2 hour road trip. I used Navigation and had my bluetooth headset connect. I started out with a fully charged battery and at the end of my trip I was down to 60%!

As I mention in the referenced thread, I agree with another poster that heat as something to do with it.

RuggerJoe

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Rocketfish car chargers are rated at? Didn't see the info on their site.

kdkinc

Reaction score
Question: I've got a power inverter in my car. If I were to take the charger that came with the phone and plug it into the inverter, would that work ok? Battery/amp/everything-electrical n00b here

It Maybe an issue.

In all likely hood you inverter most likely has the correct voltage 110 however the cycle of 60 cps may not be smooth wave cycles (hugh).

You inverter on a graphical oscilloscope puts out a "square wave" as opposed to a smooth up and down wave at 60 cps.

This COULD cause noise or over heating or maybe worse.

Any EEE"s want to can up my answer please jump on in....:icon_eek::icon_eek:

TheJester34

Reaction score

It Maybe an issue.

In all likely hood you inverter most likely has the correct voltage 110 however the cycle of 60 cps may not be smooth wave cycles (hugh).

You inverter on a graphical oscilloscope puts out a "square wave" as opposed to a smooth up and down wave at 60 cps.

This COULD cause noise or over heating or maybe worse.

Any EEE"s want to can up my answer please jump on in....:icon_eek::icon_eek:

Ok, so I had to use my GPS to find a couple places today, so I tried out the inverter with the charger. It worked. Ran GPS, charged phone, took calls, etc. My only gripe was during the day the phone got wicked hot. I assumed it was from being plugged in. But when I used my GPS tonight plugged in, the phone barely got warm. Makes me think that MAYBE people whos phone won't charge with some chargers are in fact having heating issues (assuming their charger is in fact 850 mA)

themistah

Reaction score
Just get a charger made by motorolla cheap in price and they work foe me .....got it for 8dollars at fry's.