1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

which battery to buy

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by lanza_david, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

My OG Droid's battery is still "OK", but it never has been great. If I use it heavy, I might get 2 or 3 hours right now from it. But if I use it lightly to moderate, it lasts for several hours.

I have been reading in the forums that the 1800mA/h extended battery for the D2 works for the OG Droid, but I wary to modify the car dock so it fits in it.

I am on GPA15 right now, and I hear that with Peter's LV kernels, battery life rocks. So, I was thinking, that I should not worry about getting the extended one, but just a stock one because it'll be fine when GPA15 goes stable and Pete has the 0.2 versions of his Kernels so we can flash them.

All in all, what do you guys think? What is your experience? what battery have you bought when replacing?

Ah! and where to buy it? I am afraid of buying the cheap ones over amazon.com from 3rd party businesses. I do not want my droid to explode thanks to a counterfit battery. They look exactly the same though in the pictures. Verizon does sell them I believe for 30 dollars?

anyway, thanks for your help, comments, ideas, etc.....
  2. cpc28655

cpc28655 New Member

3. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Thanks. I was reading somewhere in the forums that the droid does not read this battery's charge right. What is your experience?

Also, I use the Car Dock a lot, everyday, so I need to think about what to do about that.
  4. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

I see that one of the comments in amazon talks about this. It recommends to use an APP called BATTERY LEFT to "calibrate" it.
  5. cpc28655

cpc28655 New Member

I've had no trouble at all. However, i don't think it will fit in the car dock.
  6. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Yes it won't fit, so have to think about that.

Anybody else?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. SaxaDroid

SaxaDroid Member

I am in the same boat....which battery to buy....sedio makes a slim extended that has 1500mah and I think we have 1400 stock....that's the one I'm thinking about....the one for the d2 sounds good too but its bigger and requires a new cover...I'm on the fence with these two because I use the otterbox case and am unsure in I could use the slightly larger battery with no cover and just case...I don't know...lol
  8. hadar

hadar New Member

Batteries from Amazon have been great for me

I bought two replacement batteries from Amazon (I paid close to $5 each, they're now closer to $4). They both work flawlessly, with one delivering way more hours than my original, which still works fine.

I also bought two external chargers on Amazon (a drop more than $10 each when I got them). Those work great too (slower to charge than plugging the phone into the wall).

My best experience is using the external charger through my laptop's USB port. It takes a full 4 hours to charge the battery, but man, the battery holds the charge longer than when it charges quickly through the wall.

Now, I rarely charge the phone itself. I just swap batteries, every day or two and carry a spare with me at all times.
  9. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Thanks, good to know about that slim battery. Gotta look into it.

I do not use a case, and I do not want to modify the car dock just so the extended battery fits.

I found a thread about the extended battery, and somebody said that you can leave the cover off no problem with some cases.

10. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Good to know. Thanks. Do you have the exact amazon link to the battery and charger?

11. hadar

hadar New Member

12. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Thanks

13. rancur3p1c

rancur3p1c New Member

I too have several (bought 3 they were so cheap) of those $3 batteries from amazon+external charger. What I've noticed is after use for a few weeks they degrade to almost my original battery life--they do the same drop from 40%->20% quick. Not as bad as original though.

But yeah simple to carry 2nd battery in pocket.

I think some of the life degredation may have something to do with nuking the battery...OC and using heavily so that battery heats up to >40C. Problem is that I keep phone in pocket against skin and 98.6F is 40C...so doesn't give much room to work with.
    So far I've only stressed 1 of the 3 batteries I bought, haven't used the others, planning on going bone stock / undervolting it, and trying to not use it super heavily, for a month, and see if I develop the same battery problem. Cause for the first few days on the new battery I used seemed like a marked improvement.
  14. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Premium Member

I've rooted and over clocked since day one and have had varying battery life depending on my set up of the week lol.

One thing to look into is calibration. The easiest way to check is to let your battery drain till you get the X with the red border which means your phone should shut off within a few minutes. If it's miscalibrated the phone can potentially stay powered up for an hour or more! (my personal record is 1 hour 45 minutes on a "dead battery")

Fortunately this is a pretty easy fix, fully charge the phone once it reads full, leave it on the charger for another hour or so. Or if you're using raids zero recovery, once you're charged up boot into recovery and check the battery status, you may find it to only be 80% charged goo ahead and let it finish up in recovery checking every 10 minutes or so till it reads 100.

Now go to your wipe menu and wipe the battery stats, reboot and use the phone normally until it completely dies, once it turns itself off give it an uninterrupted charge.

Congratulations you just recalibrated your battery.

Now if you're using GPA15, don't flash another kernel, use the stock one it's already running the unreleased v.2 kernel.

Also, uninstall setcpu. I know you really want to overclock but this setup runs surprisingly smooth and lag free. Once Pete releases stable version we can overclock to your hearts content until then I suggest just staying at 600 megahertz.

With just those easy to do mods I'm hitting monster battery life with my original battery from 2009 release of the phone.

View attachment 31890

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  15. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

@juhde, this is impressive. Thanks. Now, if I do not have raids zero recovery, how do you recommend to charge it completely?

Edit: I re-read your post and you say to leave it on the charger after it says 100%. Now, I,ve noticed that the charging light turns off when the phone says 100%. Is the battery charging? even though the light is off, and it says "charged" on the lock screen?
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  16. juhde

Just charge it normally, rzr is just good for double checking, I've seen android report a full charge while the recovery shows only 80%. So I just like to double check. That's why if you're not using raidzero recovery I recommended leaving it charging for a hour or so after it says charged.

17. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Thanks! but did you see my

Edit: I re-read your post and you say to leave it on the charger after it says 100%. Now, I,ve noticed that the charging light turns off when the phone says 100%. Is the battery charging? even though the light is off, and it says "charged" on the lock screen?
  18. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Also, @juhde, some people recommend to have the phone plugged in whenever possible, so when I am at work and I can, I have it plugged in, and also during my 1/2 hour commute each way. What do you think?
  19. juhde

My thoughts on that subject are that the battery is still drawing current, maybe not a full blown charge current, but the battery is still being fed.

The android OS is telling the battery%, it's also telling that light to turn off. establishing that the % can be wrong, so is the light. It's a reminder more than a definite answer to whether or not the battery is actually getting a charge. When charging in recovery the light doesn't turn on but it's still charging.

It couldn't hurt to leave it plugged in just to be sure.

20. lanza_david

lanza_david New Member

Thanks! I'll try that! I might not even need to buy batteries anyway! (even if they are so cheap)