Where's my media transfer option when connecting usb to pc, please help!!

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Hi,
Not sure why but I'm connecting my s7 to my laptop via the usb and I'm not seeing an option to connect it to it to transfer files. Is there something else I need to download? All I'm seeing is this..
Screenshot_20161125-233305.png

Smith 001

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung s7 edge
er..you mean usb debugging mode?Check the developer option.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think USB debugging has to be enabled to transfer media files.

When you tap the Charging notification, do you see other options, File Transfer or MTP?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Android options when connected to a computer changed with Marshmallow. You should not have to use Developer Options unless you are performing Advanced tasks. This info from Uncle Google might help:

The new USB options in Android Marshmallow can be confusing for many users. This Android Marshmallow guide explains the different and new USB options in Android Marshmallow, and how to use them.

What are USB options in Android Marshmallow? Why it matters?

For all Android phones and tablets, you can connect them to your PC so that you can transfer files between the PC and the Android devices.

You can also charge your Android devices through USB ports on the PC if you have no chargers around. The charging can be very slow if you are using the USB 2.0 port.

So, to use the USB related functions properly, you need understand and choose proper USB options.

USB options in Android Marshmallow is significantly changed, compared to the feature in Lollipop or older versions of Android: the default USB option is charging only, not MTP+charging.

This is the reason many Android users get some problems with USB connections after updating the device to Android Marshmallow or when getting a new Marshmallow device.

Please note, to use USB features except charging only (and MIDI), a proper USB driver for your Android Marshmallow device must be installed on the PC. You need get the USB driver from manufacture’s website.

How to switch USB options in Android Marshmallow?

When your Android Marshmallow device is connected to the PC with the USB cable, you should get a notification as shown below.

You can tap USB for charging as shown below to get more USB options.

In Android Marshmallow, the USB options include:

Charging only (default, new in Android Marshmallow).Transfer files (MTP). The MTP(Media Transfer Protocol) option is for you to transfer files between your Android devices and the PC. All files types are supported.Transfer photos (PTP). The PTP(Picture Transfer Protocol) option is for you to transfer photos and videos. Once this USB option is selected, only photos and videos in Android devices are listed on the PC.MIDI (new in Android Marshmallow). You can connect a supported MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) device to Android device. Some Android manufacturers may disable this feature.

You can tap any of these options to switch to it.

What are the default USB options in Android Marshmallow?

As mentioned, the default USB options in Android Marshmallow is charging only.

This means if you want to transfer files through USB cable between the PC and the Android device, you need change the USB options to MTP or PTP as mentioned above.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Hey I'm sorry to respond back so late but I'm able to solve it by searching for the option, idk why it wouldn't be there by default

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
The Android options when connected to a computer changed with Marshmallow. You should not have to use Developer Options unless you are performing Advanced tasks. This info from Uncle Google might help:

The new USB options in Android Marshmallow can be confusing for many users. This Android Marshmallow guide explains the different and new USB options in Android Marshmallow, and how to use them.

What are USB options in Android Marshmallow? Why it matters?

For all Android phones and tablets, you can connect them to your PC so that you can transfer files between the PC and the Android devices.

You can also charge your Android devices through USB ports on the PC if you have no chargers around. The charging can be very slow if you are using the USB 2.0 port.

So, to use the USB related functions properly, you need understand and choose proper USB options.

USB options in Android Marshmallow is significantly changed, compared to the feature in Lollipop or older versions of Android: the default USB option is charging only, not MTP+charging.

This is the reason many Android users get some problems with USB connections after updating the device to Android Marshmallow or when getting a new Marshmallow device.

Please note, to use USB features except charging only (and MIDI), a proper USB driver for your Android Marshmallow device must be installed on the PC. You need get the USB driver from manufacture’s website.

How to switch USB options in Android Marshmallow?

When your Android Marshmallow device is connected to the PC with the USB cable, you should get a notification as shown below.

You can tap USB for charging as shown below to get more USB options.

In Android Marshmallow, the USB options include:

Charging only (default, new in Android Marshmallow).Transfer files (MTP). The MTP(Media Transfer Protocol) option is for you to transfer files between your Android devices and the PC. All files types are supported.Transfer photos (PTP). The PTP(Picture Transfer Protocol) option is for you to transfer photos and videos. Once this USB option is selected, only photos and videos in Android devices are listed on the PC.MIDI (new in Android Marshmallow). You can connect a supported MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) device to Android device. Some Android manufacturers may disable this feature.

You can tap any of these options to switch to it.

What are the default USB options in Android Marshmallow?

As mentioned, the default USB options in Android Marshmallow is charging only.

This means if you want to transfer files through USB cable between the PC and the Android device, you need change the USB options to MTP or PTP as mentioned above.

Gonna have to look into this again, so I don't need to download anything?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
its easy plug in your usb cable into the computer. then slide down you notifications from the top of the screen. click on USB Charging, then click file transfer. you have to do it every time though. no debugging needed. it gives you a bunch of options. doesnt mater what you choose. they all let you move any files.

Reactions: cr6