Where'd My Sound Clip GO?!?!?!?!?

infinitempg

Reaction score
On my home PC I found a neat little sound clip that I wanted to use as a ring tone on my Incredible. So I popped over to my Gmail emailed the clip to my phone. Up popped the message and the sound clip was attached. Could play the clip from the message but had no options I could find to save the clip somewhere that I could use it. Didn't see it on my system as a ringtone or in with my music so not sure how to get the dang thing to where I can assign it as a ringtone.

Might be kinda basic stuff but I am stumped...

OP
infinitempg

infinitempg

Reaction score
Long press on it in Gmail and choose Save to SD card.
I sent it from Gmail on my PC to my phone. So you're saying to go to my sent messages in Gmail on my phone after I send it to my phone and then save it? So I can't send a sound clip to my phone in a message/email and save to to anyplace that I can do something with it???? I could do that on my old clunky LG Dare

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Actually I was wrong. There is no built in functionality to save attachments in gmail. Only preview.

I found an app that does it seamlessly though without having to use a different email client.

Blackmoon AttachSave Lite

You don't even have to launch the app. When you hit 'preview' in gmail it will pop up and ask you what app to preview with, choose attachsave and from there it's self explanatory. Just pay attention to the file name and extension, the app can't pull that from the attachment so it just makes one up.

OP
infinitempg

infinitempg

Reaction score
Blackmoon AttachSave Lite - You don't even have to launch the app. When you hit 'preview' in gmail it will pop up and ask you what app to preview with, choose attachsave and from there it's self explanatory. Just pay attention to the file name and extension, the app can't pull that from the attachment so it just makes one up.
That looks like it would work but pretty lame to have to do that. What's the use of sending a sound clip to your phone if you can't do anything to it outside of preview/play it? On my LG Dare when I got a message with a sound clip it would directly ask me if I wanted to save that as a song or a ringtone.

Silly Incredible....

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Seems that google left out some of the most basic functions. Android is like the stereotype genius, book smarts off the charts but no common sense.

OP
infinitempg

infinitempg

Reaction score
Seems that google left out some of the most basic functions. Android is like the stereotype genius, book smarts off the charts but no common sense.
Being of the engineering type I'd also have to question the book smart side a tad :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can always try another email app. Was that possible on the Dare (never used one myself)?

What's the use of sending a sound clip to your phone if you can't do anything to it outside of preview/play it?
Dunno. I don't send myself sound clips. :p All mine were copied over after mounting the SD card.

OP
infinitempg

infinitempg

Reaction score
Dunno. I don't send myself sound clips. :p All mine were copied over after mounting the SD card.
Was at a friend's house goofing on their PC. Stumbled across a clip that I have been looking for. No USB cable so emailed it to my Incredible @vzwpix.com account. Comes into my phone as a message with an attachment. Doesn't matter what I sent it with, the phone accepts it the same from anyone. So I can open the attachment and preview play it, but I can't do anything with it including save it to the SD card or in a folder and have no clue where it's even stored.

Yeah, the LG Dare I could send the same type message (or email) with the sound clip attached and it would immediately recognize it as a sound clip and would ask if I wanted to save it as a song or as a ringtone and I was done. Incredible just plays it and offers no options that I have found.

aw0127

Reaction score
I was just playing with my Droid incredible.
and i saved a sound from an MMS message by holding down on the message for a few seconds.
I then went to music, hit the list button in the bottom left hand corner, [three horizontal lines] - go to 'all songs', then go to the song to play it.
When you select to play it, hit menu and it should say set as ringtone.
I`m not sure about setting it as a notification sound yet..
Hope I helped !