Where (which APK) can I find the phone PNG file that needs fixed on 2.4.0?

Boostjunky

Reaction score
You know, the one that SHOULD show up at the very left when you click on a contact's picture, and it brings up (should bring up) a picture of a phone on the very left, along with other icons representing other APK's (such as e-mail, mms, facebook, etc. etc.)??? It currently just brings up a generic android icon instead.

I've gone through several APK's, and thought I had found it in Phone.apk which was missing a PNG called ic_launcher_phone.png, which just happened to be the exact same icon that's not showing up. Anyway, I inserted the image into the Phone.apk, and it's still showing a generic android icon instead of a phone when you click on a contact picture.

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You know, the one that SHOULD show up at the very left when you click on a contact's picture, and it brings up (should bring up) a picture of a phone on the very left, along with other icons representing other APK's (such as e-mail, mms, facebook, etc. etc.)??? It currently just brings up a generic android icon instead.

I've gone through several APK's, and thought I had found it in Phone.apk which was missing a PNG called ic_launcher_phone.png, which just happened to be the exact same icon that's not showing up. Anyway, I inserted the image into the Phone.apk, and it's still showing a generic android icon instead of a phone when you click on a contact picture.

i've never looked to see, but the first apk i would check is contacts.apk, have you looked through that one?

OP
B

Boostjunky

Reaction score
Yeah, I have. I've browsed through practically EVERY apk within system/app that I can think would have anything to do with it, and also browsed through framework-res.apk. All to no avail. Like I say, the only one I have managed to find in 2.3.0 that was missing in 2.4.0 was the one I mentioned above.

Thinking I'd found the problem, I inserted that ic_launcher_phone.png into phone.apk, but it doesn't seem to have changed a thing.

y2thrasher

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing yesterday. I think that is the file that is missing, but I think there may be more missing out of the source in the Phone.apk file. BD is probably going to have to rebuild from his source in order for it to work.

You could try replacing the Phone.apk with the one from 2.3, but then you will have the off-center Answer slider and be missing any other additions that 2.4 brings.

EDIT:

I just tried this and it worked, so that is definately the file, there are just more changes to the APK that have to be done in order to make it work, and I think the changes have to be done before the APK is signed, so its probably up to BD to fix this one.

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your icon is green then I can tell you something is scripted wrong -

I don't like that green/android icon that shows when an app icon doesn't load or in manage apps before the list loads - so I always change it with the exact same icon - just blue...my phone icon that you are referring to in the contacts/longpress contact picture/pop-up is blue

This icon is found in framework-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi/system_deff_app_icon.png but there is something else wrong here - this icon is one that appears when the stock one isn't available for whatever reason

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing yesterday. I think that is the file that is missing, but I think there may be more missing out of the source in the Phone.apk file. BD is probably going to have to rebuild from his source in order for it to work.

You could try replacing the Phone.apk with the one from 2.3, but then you will have the off-center Answer slider and be missing any other additions that 2.4 brings.

EDIT:

I just tried this and it worked, so that is definately the file, there are just more changes to the APK that have to be done in order to make it work, and I think the changes have to be done before the APK is signed, so its probably up to BD to fix this one.

actually the phone.apk is a system app and is not required to be signed (although you can sign it yourself using a tool like apkmanager). if you added the correct images to the current phone.apk (and if that is the correct apk to edit) and it still didnt work, then it might be an xml edit that is removing those images. which you can still edit, you just have to decompile the apk, edit the correct xml file, then recompile. apkmanager is one of the tools available that can do these things. if your interested in learning i suggest you head over to the theming section of the forums

Last edited:

y2thrasher

Reaction score
Shows how much I know. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Looks fairly easy.

tjkriegel

Reaction score
I installed a different dialer for appearance purposes which replaced both the Phone.apk and the Contacts.apk and my phone icon now shows up so I'm guessing it's in the Contacts.apk. I'll take a look around and see if I can find it but at least we know it has to be in 1 of those 2 since that was all I changed and it was fixed.

Edit: It's in the Phone.apk, not sure exactly where yet.

Last edited:

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The phone icon that shows up on your desktop comes from Contacts, the icon that shows up in the quickcontact popup when you tap a contacts image comes from Phone, that is the one you need to edit. It is called something launcher.... hope this helps...

y2thrasher

Reaction score
Ok, I think I finally fixed it. Took a little longer then expected, but here it is:

Phone.apk

Try it at your own risk, I give no guarentees. Seems to work fine on my phone, but I haven't tested it much.

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I think I finally fixed it. Took a little longer then expected, but here it is:

Phone.apk

Try it at your own risk, I give no guarentees. Seems to work fine on my phone, but I haven't tested it much.

I havent tried it out so I havent verified that the fix works on my phone, but I am curious as what you ended up doing to fix it?

y2thrasher

Reaction score

Phone.apk

I havent tried it out so I havent verified that the fix works on my phone, but I am curious as what you ended up doing to fix it?

I took your advice and found APK Manager on xda-developers then decompiled the APKs from 2.3 and 2.4. I then coppied the missing png to the 2.4 version. The I compared the xmls and found where the png was referenced in 2.3 and made the changes to 2.4 then recompiled it and it worked. The reason it took so long was because when I tried to recompile it, I kept getting an exception error in apk manager. I finally gave up and ignored the exception and it worked. All the popup icons look like they are showing now.

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Phone.apk

I took your advice and found APK Manager on xda-developers then decompiled the APKs from 2.3 and 2.4. I then coppied the missing png to the 2.4 version. The I compared the xmls and found where the png was referenced in 2.3 and made the changes to 2.4 then recompiled it and it worked. The reason it took so long was because when I tried to recompile it, I kept getting an exception error in apk manager. I finally gave up and ignored the exception and it worked. All the popup icons look like they are showing now.

nice! so it was an xml edit.

if you remember, which xml file was it? I ask cuz I will try to make the edit and see if i get any error. for some app's apkmanager 4.9 doesnt work when apkmanager 4.7 will. although I prolly wont get around to till sunday night, but I will post my results here.

y2thrasher

Reaction score
The first one is the AndroidManifest.xml at line 52. 2.4 reads the following:

Code:
<application android:label="@string/dialerIconLabel" android:icon="@drawable/[COLOR="Red"]APKTOOL_DUMMY_0092[/COLOR]" android:name="PhoneApp" android:persistent="true">

Change the
Code:
APKTOOL_DUMMY_0092
to read
Code:
ic_launcher_phone

Then under "res / values" in drawables.xml I deleted the line that says
Code:
<item type="drawable" name="APKTOOL_DUMMY_0092">false</item>

Then in the same folder, in public.xml I added the following line after line 120
Code:
    <public type="drawable" name="ic_launcher_phone" id="0x7f020092" />
and the deleted the following line at line 199
Code:
    <public type="drawable" name="APKTOOL_DUMMY_0092" id="0x7f020092" />

Those were the only 3 XMLs that I changed, along with obviously adding in the missing .png file.

Let me know if APK Manager 4.7 gives you the exception when trying to re-compile.

It might just be 4.9, because I decompiled the APK then recompiled it without making any changes and still received the error.

DHood

Reaction score
I downloaded your apk cause this bugs me a lot also but it doesn't let me install. Im installing by Just opening. Is there something else I need to do?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App