Where to start??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zero7starz, Jan 29, 2010.

1. zero7starz

zero7starz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Programmers,

I'm hoping to get into development for Android after years of creating web pages. HTML is about the extent of the languages I've ever focused on. So basically, I need a place to jump off from. Site suggestions for tutorials, languages I need to study, obviously I need root on my phone and the SDK pack... is there a specific program I'm going to need to code in? (Is it mac compatible?) This kind of information is so important for me. I'm... mostly confident I can teach myself the language as long as I have a program I can code/test it in. And isn't there a way I can run an Android Simulation on my computer to test the app before loading it onto my handset? What else should I know to get started? I'd like to try to set a realistic goal of being able to build a "Hello Android" application (you get that reference, right? lol) in 1-2 weeks :icon_ banana:

Please and thank yoou~~ :motdroidhoriz:
  2. dork5002002

dork5002002 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you know html pretty well, maybe you've used xml some. I hate making webpages, and always disliked formatting languages like html and such.

Droids GUIs are usually designed using xml. You'll need the dev tools. They are available for mac/linux/windows. I would recommend using the eclipse ide. I like it better than netbeans, but that is probably because I use linux.

Android SDK | Android Developers

That is a link to the android dev page. You should be able to find a lot of information telling you how to install and set up the dev tools. Also, I don't believe you need to root your phone to develop on it. The tools also provide an emulator for testing your apps, so no need to put them on your personal phone.

As for learning to develop for android, you need java. Learn it if you dont' know. Tons of online tutorials for java, and if you like books, thinking in java is a good one to learn from. The book hello android teaches developing for android through example and is pretty newbie friendly.

Other than that, google is your friend.

http://www.anddev.org/viewforum.php?f=8 I've been there a few times. They seem to have some good tutorials, but I haven't used them much.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  3. Magdroid

Magdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thumbs up on your answer! Thank you for helping people in this fassion! THIS is what Droidforums.net is all about!