Where is the XML file to make the Status Bar BACKGROUND transparent?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by mike919, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mike919

mike919 New Member

I have all these backgrounds made through photoshop and i can't quite figure out how to find the code to change the background to transparency.. I have HxD editor and all necessary software... just need a little help... thanks!!

Or A how to Link to somewhere would be perfect.
  2. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

why don't you just use a transparent status_bar_background.png ?
  3. mike919

mike919 New Member

I've created multiple PNG's of different color and all work on a ROM that already has a transparent notification bacground... i know how to swap pngs and have almost themed Pink Life over to BB froyo.02

but for some reason, the transparent background png i made for this theme is showing solid. i didn't know if there's an XML file that controls this, since BB froyo 0.2 has a solid background and not transparent...
  4. raidzero

Nobody knows how to do that except xeudoxus. We will see a transparent notification background when darkedge comes out for froyo :)

Apparently google changed the opacity of the notification background based on time of day, thats the rumor at least...
  5. mike919

mike919 New Member

Ahhhh..... I see! So it IS actually in XML though correct? I mean you can't just straight replace a transparent background with a solid unless its written into XML correct?
  6. raidzero

It has to be in either XML or java. I am betting it was found through smali since the source for froyo has not been released. Plus XML does not really do logic statements (correct me if I am wrong), so I am betting its actual java, but since the source is not out it had to have been decompiled and to dalvik bytecode. When I look at dalvik bytecode, I have no idea how anyone could understand it... But people do anyway haha

edit: and yeah, you can replace an image with a transparent one and vice versa without any xml editing. I speak for 2.1 and earlier. with froyo, all bets are off.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

The image png itself could be made transparent by specifying so in one of the layout XMLs...no? I'm figuring it has to be in an XML...

a good example... it's the background png from SystemInfo Widget.... yet it displays as transparent on Froyo as well as 2.1...
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  8. raidzero

I just said it was not XML since the darkedge team said the opacity of the notification background was altered by time of day in the google code for froyo in the framework. Other apks that are not controlled by the framework can work however their designer intended. If they want to make a png transparent and not rely on te framework, therefor making it android version independent, they could. As far as the time of day thing goes, I am pretty sure this type of logic operation could not be accomplished by XML alone.
  9. Mbk

I was just pointing out that transparency does show on Froyo..using SystemInfo Widget as an example,
    ... so you don't feel that specifying opacity of any image in an XML could render any image transparent?
    Android XMLs seem slightly foreign to me, it seemed more straightforward with WindowsMobile...well to me atleast.
  10. raidzero

I do feel that XML can set the opacity of an image. However, for the OP's specific request, I do not feel the answer is in XML. I think if it was, more people would have found out by now. The statement about the time of day setting the opacity only seems to further prove this. XML can very well change the opacity of an image, but if it has already been changed by the underlying system, then changing it back would not be a possibility, correct?
  11. Mbk

Not sure myself since I tried to make Adamz Smoked Glass's tranparency apply to Team Chaos's Black Ice and all those showed up as black backgrounds.... I'll just wait for Adamz or other talented devs to figure this out for us,,,lol... for now I'm waiting to get my new Droid today and have to reapply root access and then Froyo baby!!...;)
  12. raidzero

I like froyo very much but I need my darkedge :-D although I just got kangerade and it looks nice... tempted I am ;)

The reason all transparent images show up as opaque in the notification dropdown for froyo where they are transparent on 2.1 and earlier is due to the changes in the android subsystem. I am not sure if it actually edits its XML's on the fly or what... the only one to claim that they know how to do is xeudoxus and he is keeping his mouth shut..

or the time of day thing could all be a nontruth

either way, once the froyo source hits on june 31, it will all be revealed :)
Search tags for this page

android status bar files

android statusbar background set
changing xml to make transparent statusbar
how to make android statusbar transparent without editing xml
how to make any change to framework statusbar.xml in android

how to make transparent status bar android

how to make transparent status bar on android

make status bar background transparent android

status bar edit backround android
status bar image cm10
status bar.xml set status bar background