Where is my boyfriends data usage coming from?

Whoanelly

Reaction score
My boyfriend has a droid 2. We checked his data usage on Verizon.com and he has tons of usage = 0.000001 gb. It reads like this 7:34 0.000001 gb 7:40 0.000001 7:44 0.000001 gb so on and so on. Here is the weird part. It is constant usage like that from 7am to 4pm, give or take a few minutes. This is usually the time he is at work. He says there is no way there is correct ... On the weekends his usage is nothing like it is during the week. What could be running on his phone to cause this usage? Could location have anything to do with why it only does it while he's at work? And what could he be doing on his phone that woukd use that small about of data but 100 times a day?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be related to corporate email. Does he have his phone set up to connect to an Exchange server?

OP
W

Whoanelly

Reaction score
No he just has his gmail account linked to it. I went to the settings on that and it's set to only sync from 12 midnight to 6am. He claims he is rarely on his phone during work but I'm beginning to doubt that, I've looked all through his phone, his browser history to see if he has been visiting any websites but I just don't know what he could be doing that would be using 0.00001 gb usage that many times a day .. And too only mainly do it during the week is super odd.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Sounds like its just synching ...does he have "synch in the background" turned on?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Could be many reasons, does he have it to synch only over wifi or scheduled? If it's only on the weekends, it sounds like he has some sort of scheduling turned on.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like it's pulling facebook or twitter, possibly gmail (though I thought it was strictly push?) on a 5 minute schedule or something. Or maybe some app that's checking his location with GPS frequently? Nothing I'd be too worried about - that's only going to add up to like 10 megs over the course of a month.

And at home maybe he's on wifi (no VZW data usage) but on 3G/4G at work?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could be many reasons, does he have it to synch only over wifi or scheduled? If it's only on the weekends, it sounds like he has some sort of scheduling turned on.

The OP makes it sound like her boyfriend has absolutely no idea why this is happening, though. Everything you are suggesting would be something that would need to be explicitly enabled.

I think this is one of those questions that cannot be answered due to lack of information in the original post.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know, i've been thinking about it, and it COULD be location related. Perhaps he has a good GPS signal everywhere except for at the office, and while he is at the office it needs to pull location info from Verizon's network rather than the GPS radio.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
0.00000001 or whatever is not much..lol I believe its normal. Actually if sync is on you'll be using data. If it said 1.+ then start panicking.lol

Simply Amazing ...
Essentially Stunning,
Motorola Droid Razr---->Minimum<-----:)
Tapped via Red Xparent Pro>:-!

nikki1579

Reaction score
Same thing!

I have noticed the same exact thing on my boyfriends line and it only appears the happen when me and him are not together and it is all different hours, his alos is 0.00001, every fews minutes or so, sometimes 0.00002, 0.00005, he says he doesnt use his phone, and a lot of the time this happens while it is at work also in which he says he is too busy to even go near his phone. This happens not just on week days and occurs all hours of the day and night. I was curious did you ever figure out where the usage is coming from?? Or anyone else? I have also looked through the phone and its history and I am at a loss.

Any help out there?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Apps reaching out for data, email, the network reaching out to the phone... any number of things can cause this. On newer devices, especially 4g, we tend to limit or disable background data sync to save our battery. But a 3g device.. he probably doesn't limit the background sync.

Perhaps he has an app like location, or rich location that's running, or perhaps his browser? Facebook or twitter or both could be reaching out to sync or update.

Any number of possibilities

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the issue here.

Unless you turn off the cellular radio the phone will request data.

GPS data, sync with google servers for contact info, calendar info etc. Its constantly communicating.

I think that the location is the best guess, and or having VZW, Google and 3rd party sources checked.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

nikki1579

Reaction score
Apps reaching out for data, email, the network reaching out to the phone... any number of things can cause this. On newer devices, especially 4g, we tend to limit or disable background data sync to save our battery. But a 3g device.. he probably doesn't limit the background sync.

Perhaps he has an app like location, or rich location that's running, or perhaps his browser? Facebook or twitter or both could be reaching out to sync or update.

Any number of possibilities

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Well he does have a droid 4 bionic, he is not on facebook or twitter or any other social media and also i tested it out today, he was last on his phone at 1130 am today and didnt have acess to it until 525 pm, so idk it seems like he is the one doing it. Is there some type of messmessenger or something he could be using?