Where is Gingerbread

DLopezR

Reaction score
I've been waiting for the release of gingerbread for a while now. I saw something about being released on February, but I still don't know when its going to be released for the Motorola Droid X.
Anyone know? Please share.

Sent from my DROIDX

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No one knows and it may not even be released. The X is already EOL. Getting gingerbread would be surprising, but you can be sure it won't get anything beyond that.

harrellj

Reaction score
However, just like with the D1 (which has been EOL for awhile now), the developers will support the device and there's likely to be a custom ROM in the not too terribly distant future. Even then though, knowing exactly when it'll drop is something no one knows.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes and No. Developers can create "custom" Froyo roms for the X, but not GingerBread roms. The locked bootloader prevents any kernel changes. That's the difference between the D1 and the X. The D1 will be able to keep up with android versions until its hardware simply can't do it anymore. The X will be dead at the last version that Motorola/Verizon releases. As it stands right now, the X is not going to have anything more than Froyo and there are no X GB roms. If a GB OTA is released, then the X will die at GB.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes and No. Developers can create "custom" Froyo roms for the X, but not GingerBread roms. The locked bootloader prevents any kernel changes. That's the difference between the D1 and the X. The D1 will be able to keep up with android versions until its hardware simply can't do it anymore. The X will be dead at the last version that Motorola/Verizon releases. As it stands right now, the X is not going to have anything more than Froyo and there are no X GB roms. If a GB OTA is released, then the X will die at GB.

its still possible since froyo kernels work just fine on gingerbread... as a matter of fact im using one now with no issues. im running aosp gingerbread on my OG Droid with P3Droid's ULV 1250mhz. Which is a froyo kernel.

Stock froyo kernels work with it too..

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No I mean devs can't change the kernel on the X. The d1 has no problem. It can run whatever version it wants as long as there are no minimum hardware requirements that it doesn't meet. The X can't run a gingerbread kernel until X owners get an OTA for Gingerbread. I have a D1 and I run gingerbread with a froyo overclock kernel. X owners however are stuck on Froyo, until a GB OTA is released (which may not happen) or the bootloader is cracked (which will not happen)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The gingerbread is in the refrigerator on the middle shelf.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i think they announced something about it at MWC, i heard something about a 6 week cycle?

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gingerbread didn't make it to the current gen of devices considering the next gen of devices are rolling out not too far from now.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think they announced something about it at MWC, i heard something about a 6 week cycle?

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gingerbread didn't make it to the current gen of devices considering the next gen of devices are rolling out not too far from now.

If mydroidworld has a leaked ota x users should be able to get it. Although I don't know how happy moto will be about that. A it stands now there is no official gb update for x users. I wouldn't be surprised if it never came either

Sent from my Droid

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score

i believe that google said that after ice cream sandwich they will only upgrade the OS every 6 months so that the pathetically slow manufacturers can keep up.

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
Motorola ditching a flagship phone. Good move Motorola. No updates in nearly 1 year? Easy solution - I'll never buy another Motorola again. Since I'm the "go-to-guy" for technology for my friends and relatives, I'll be sure to send them to Samsung, HTC, or Apple.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola ditching a flagship phone. Good move Motorola. No updates in nearly 1 year? Easy solution - I'll never buy another Motorola again. Since I'm the "go-to-guy" for technology for my friends and relatives, I'll be sure to send them to Samsung, HTC, or Apple.

I wouldn't blame motorola alone. The galaxy line has never gotten any update and I'm sure the incredible is done too as far as official support. I would say it's more googles fault for releasing so many os versions in one year. The oems can't keep up! Hopefully google will slow it down in 2011.

Sent from my Droid