Where Is An App Like ESPN Sportscenter?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by NVash, Dec 6, 2009.

1. NVash

NVash New Member

Ive been looking all over the Market for an app like ESPN Sportscenter to run on my Droid that would tell me what sports, what games, what teams, what time and even the score as they played. I have had no success. Are there any out there?
  2. angryunibrow

angryunibrow New Member

sportstap is a good one
  3. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

sportstap. its got a decent widget for your favorite teams.
  4. NVash

NVash New Member

This app is great, thanks. How do I get the Widget up though? I keep trying and it keeps telling me theres no room on the home screen even though theres nothing on it.
  5. mikespe

mikespe New Member

I love Sportstap but I think the Widget is so-so. It is so tiny to read what is on there (for my old eyes anyway). I wish they had an option for a larger widget. The stats the actual app supplies is awesome. I have tried the ESPN app and it doesn't compare to Sportstap
  6. Technoman

Technoman New Member

I couldn't stand SportsTap. It keeps restarting itself even when stopped in the "RUNNING APPS". The WIDGET was very blah.

We need an Andriod version of ESPN MVP!!!
  7. NVash

NVash New Member

Yeah Im noticing that about Sportstap, I dont even have the Widget up yet and its force closing, even causing the whole home screen to apparently reset itself.
  8. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

I can't really see any application performing better than a real-time score website, that is why I have yet to try one but have actually inquired in to it and received a surprising amount of suggestions and supporters of various apps like "Sports Tap" and others.

Go in to the market and search for "Scoreboard" or "Scores" or "Sport scores" to see if anything else new has come out or ones that take advantage of something like ESPN.com and simply relay the information.

Until then you know the drill for some of us who need live scores - instantly without delay. (ESPN.com/CBS.Sportsline.com/LiveScore.com)
  9. Zac7

Zac7 New Member

I have personally not been happy with any of the sports apps on the marketplace. They all are slow on updating games. Sportstap imo was the worst of all of the sports apps I had it showing a game from a month ago still not over. If anyone knows if this is a problem with the OS and that's why none of the sports apps update fast let me know.
  10. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

It is the coding of the apps.

The apps must be relying on relaying the information from another source. Since the apps are all 3rd party (at the moment) there will always be a lag in some form.

I haven't tried any myself, but as you can see some endorse various sports apps in here and others do not. I still find myself going to the actual websites because if I am checking I need it to be accurate to the point. ESPN.com/Covers.com/Cbs.Sportsline.com/Livescore.com

LiveScore.com is the best for soccer/tennis that you'll find on the Internet.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  11. longboat

longboat New Member

Sportstap is disappointing. It was running a half a period behind on most NHL games the other night I checked it, Even with it set to update scores every minute.
  12. longboat

longboat New Member

Thanks the tip about Livescore for my soccer matches.
  13. Batfan.com

Batfan.com New Member

I agree.

I have not been very impressed with any of the sports apps on the market. I had SportsTap installed for a while but, found that I like Google Scoreboard better.

That being said, neither of them update very quickly. The CBS Football app is one of the better apps I've found but again, the updates aren't as fast/frequent as I would like and I wish it had a widget.
  14. Another_Dude

Another_Dude New Member

I think we should all be patient until we have Flash for Android, that will be a game changer (updater) for us sports fans.
  15. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 New Member

they all suck..thank god ESPN mobile and NFL mobile are great..now I am going to lick my wounds after the Giants beat us :(
  16. drew

drew New Member

I just uninstalled SportsTap because the widget wouldn't update and kept referencing a Jaguars game that happened two weeks ago. Just installed Google Scoreboard, but the Widget keeps saying "Not enough room on this home screen". How big does the widget need to be anyway??? Guess I'll keep looking into alternatives. I'm sure there should be a GOOD app available by Spring Training.
  17. benwiggin2

benwiggin2 New Member

You could just go to espn mobile on your browser, bookmark it, and then shortcut it to your desktop (homescreen?). Just like an app, really.
  18. NVash

NVash New Member

I had this exact same problem with Sportstap. Still I have no clue how to fix it. And its funny because there is not one Widget or App on said screen. There is nothing on said screen at all, so Im wondering how people are using it.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  19. yah27

yah27 New Member

I liked sportstap until i realized it's constantly running in the background. I have to always go into application and close it, but it pops back up killing my valuable battery life. Given how slow the application is w/ the update and all, i uninstalled it. I'm waiting for ESPN and using live websites for the time being.
  20. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Home++ has the 'bookmark' icon on the bottom dock... I have NHL.com bookmarked and just check that for scores :)
Search tags for this page
apps like espn sportscenter
apps like sportscentre
how to get sports center widge on phone
is there a sportscenter widget fir android

sportcenter app

sportscenter app

sportscenter apps

sportscenter widget
what android system does espn sports center use