Where does this piece belong???

richard15garrett

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid X2
Hello all. My name is Richard and this is my first post with droidforums. I recently started repairing cell phones in my spare time and have come across a small problem.

When dissecting a Motorola Droid X2, a small, black rubber piece fell out. It happened in the beginning stage when removing the back plate. Has anyone ever had this problem when taking apart their Droid X2? I have attached an image and sorry for the quality, currently using my back up phone while I repair my s4.

Attachments

• CAM00778.jpg
    CAM00778.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 215

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry I can't offer any assistance with this but do let us know if @CJM 's video was able to provide you the information you're looking for.
Good luck!

OP
R

richard15garrett

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid X2
The post was very informative @CJM but still no information about the little rubber piece. It's driving me crazy! I searched all of youtube and plenty of forums with no luck. Hopefully someone can help me out! I was thinking of just putting the phone back together without it, but my luck that little piece will have a huge impact on the phone somehow. Who knows.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
To piggy back off CJMs link, here's another ifixit link for the complete teardown guide for this device. Motorola Droid 2 Teardown
If that doesn't help, than I don't know...
you mentioned "cellphones"... (emphasis plural).... Could it have possibly come from another device you were working on?

S5 tap'n

OP
R

richard15garrett

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid X2
@cr6 That link is for a Droid 2, not the Droid X2. And nope positive it came from this phone. I'm very OCD about my work area so it's rather clean haha. I guess i'm the first that's ever had this problem lol hopefully when the screen comes in and I put it back together I can find where it goes. Thanks for taking the time to try and help though.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Can we get a better description of the part. Is it rubber, soft, hard, metal? Can we get some pics of the inside of the device or pics of the device when you first noticed that piece was missing.

Note 4tified

OP
R

richard15garrett

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid X2
@Miller6386 It's a half inch long, black soft rubber. A raised hole right in the center, and cut-out circles on either side like where its supposed to fit around something circular on the ends. You can see it sort of in the pic I posted above. But here is the back plate that i removed when it fell out i'm thinking it goes somewhere with it but I just cant find a spot for it.

Attachments

• CAM00784.jpg
    CAM00784.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 168

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
@Miller6386 It's a half inch long, black soft rubber. A raised hole right in the center, and cut-out circles on either side like where its supposed to fit around something circular on the ends. You can see it sort of in the pic I posted above. But here is the back plate that i removed when it fell out i'm thinking it goes somewhere with it but I just cant find a spot for it.
Can you post a picture of whatever mates to that? Which ever side sits into or against that.

Note 4tified

OP
R

richard15garrett

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid X2
Well I got it put back together without the piece. Seems to be working fine. @Miller6386 I didn't see a spot for it really between the ear piece layers. You may be right but I don't know. Thanks for the help though

Reactions: CJM