Where does Market app keep my list of installed apps?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by leftbrain99, Jan 19, 2010.

1. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have bounced around trying ROMs for weeks, but I have never lost the ability to see all my downloaded apps in the Android Market. But in the process of loading a new ROM today, I now only see Google Maps and ASTRO in my download folder. The other 58 or so are no longer listed. It's no problem as they were all free apps, and I loaded them all back using ASTRO to restore them, but I am wondering where the list is managed. I thought it was managed through my google account, but I am synced up and it still does not show them listed.

2. droidfannd

droidfannd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, the only place the Market keeps a list is in the 'downloads' tab. If they're not there anymore...it may be that Market believes/thinks you've uninstalled them previously and aren't interested in them anymore.

3. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for an actual location in the phone's file system or whether it is kept in my google account. So, where is the information pulled from when I click on the Downloads tab in the Market app?

4. droidfannd

droidfannd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It WOULD be helpful if there was a place in your Google Account settings where you could see a list of previously installed applications and send them back to your phone automatically...similar to how I can log into my Amazon.com account and re-send purchased books for my Kindle.

5. zathus

zathus Member

Ratings:
    +8

This might not be much help but I do know that the list of your apps is saved on the phone. if you install differnt roms ect but never clear the catch in the reboot image, the apps are all there listed in the downloaded section of the market. if you clear the catch, the list goes away. no clue were its stored though. but it is on the phone it self and not stored on a server or something

6. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've cleared the cache many times while switching between ROMs and never lost my listing of downloaded apps before. I can usually load the new image, immediately pull up Market, click the Downloads tab, and see all 60 apps, though they are not yet reinstalled on the device. I can either reinstall them through the Market or recover them using the backup I made with ASTRO. Now, ASTRO is my only option, and Google doesn't see that I had downloaded those with my account.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. zathus

zathus Member

Ratings:
    +8
    interesting because the only time I loss the list of apps is when iIclear the catch

8. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But this is what I don't understand. If I were to swap phones, when I activate the new phone with my google account, all the apps I have downloaded would be synced up with that new device. So, clearing data or cache on a device should not make a difference. And even if Google thought I had intentionally uninstalled those apps, they would still be listed in the Downloads page, just not listed as installed.

9. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To follow up, I recovered cache from my last nandroid backup and it did not show any more than the two downloads in Market. I went further to completely recover that previous backup and it installed all the apps, but still only show the two downloads. Somehow I have affected how my google account is recording what apps I have stored. I just want to figure out how/why.

10. droidfannd

droidfannd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall that when I've uninstalled applications previously...they've remained in my 'downloads' list for a short period...but eventually they seem to go away.

EDIT: Looking at my 'downloads' list in the Market now...I am 100% certain there are plenty of applications I downloaded and tried/uninstalled that aren't currently listed.

11. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I am with you. Somehow Google thinks I have uninstalled the apps (or that I never downloaded them - either way, doesn't matter). But why? All I did was:

-Reboot into recovery mode (sholes-0.99.2b)
    -Select "Wipe data/factory reset"
    -format SYSTEM: (using adb)
    -format DATA: (using adb)
    -format CACHE: (using adb)
    -Select "Backup/Restore"
    -Select "Advanced Nandroid Restore"
    -Select "Choose backup"
    -Select the ROM
    -Select "Perform Restore"

And I've done this process dozens of time. In fact, I did it once to load one ROM and then again to load a different one within 30 minutes. Everything was fine after the first restore. This only came up after the second time.

12. droidfannd

droidfannd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With apologies, you've now traveled far beyond the boundaries of my DROID knowledge. I'll happily withdraw from the discussion and make room for those who might know.

13. mudpro69

mudpro69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Saved to your Google Account...

14. droidfannd

droidfannd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe we all assumed the info was somehow saved to our Google account.

The question at hand is if there is anyway to access it/see it.

I've gone over my Google Account settings page with a fine toothed comb and have thus far been unable to see the pertinent information anywhere.

15. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Free apps usually tend to not show up upon reloading the OS, for the most part. Paid apps, on the other hand, SHOULD show up generally speaking.

However, I KNOW that certain versions of the 2.1 ROM that has been going around for the Droid (the modded Nexus One ROM) has a problem with the OS build not being on Google's whitelist. There is a way to fix this by manually updating the build.prop file; but I cannot remember how to do this, and in no way suggest that anyone TRY modifying this file.

What the hack does is cause the OS to report it's version as 2.0.1 to the Market app. Easiest way to fix it is to use one of the newer 2.1 custom ROMs, or revert to 2.0.1

Search tags for this page
can i see list of apps installed previously on my android
does droid have a place to bide installed apps?
how to check installed apps on android market

how to find previously installed apps on android

how to look at the list of previously installed apps in andr

how to see installed apps on android

how to see previously installed apps on your phone

how to tell when an application was installed

link installed apps to current market account
my installed apps