Where are the settings for the pre-installed voicemail app on D2G?

yellowbarber

Reaction score
I'm a complete novice to the android OS, but not a complete idiot. This should be a simple fix, but sounds like a completely stupid question I'm sure.

I want to set my voicemail notification to vibrate. I've lost days trying to figure it out.
Got no help from Motorola, have called VZW tech twice - to level two tech and waiting on quality assurance's answer.

Where are the settings permissions for the factory installed voicemail app on the Droid 2 Global?
Didn't find it here: home>settings>call settings>voicemail
Not in the applications manager either.
Nor in the most logical place, (where it is on the text messaging app) the bottom left corner settings button when the app is open. All I get is a multi touch keypad.

So far this has stumped everyone I posed the problem to and starting to go beyond pissed that a simple user setting like this isn't either allowed or possible. The last thing I want to do is get another app - I want the user apps that came with the phone to work logically.

(sorry if I started to rant)

OP
yellowbarber

yellowbarber

Reaction score
anybody?
Is this some kind of software thing that Google overlooked when they wrote the program?

Who's tree do I need to be barking up?

kingwaffle

Reaction score
I thought it adhered to text messaging settings but I just tried it on mine and it didn't.

Good question. Good question indeed.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
what about....home/settings/sound to check if vibrate is set to always. im just guessing

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
For me, the voicemail has always responded in the same manner as the text messaging. It has been this way since 2.0 on my OG Droid. It annoys me because I had three specific Metal Gear Solid tones that I used on my Moto ROKR. Codec for phone, Alert for text, and Smash Bros Brawl victory for the rare voicemail. I do believe you just have to live with it tied to your text notification.

By the name of Zero

kingwaffle

Reaction score
It is NOT tied to your text notification. Or it is. I have my phone on silent mode all of the time, and I get a vibration notification when I receive a text.

I had a co-worker call me and leave me a voicemail and while the phone vibrated while I received the call, the voicemail notification was silent.

OP
yellowbarber

yellowbarber

Reaction score
what about....home/settings/sound to check if vibrate is set to always.

I tried that, three different VZW techs tried that, and I tried it again to see if it somehow magically changed - no dice.

Regadless of make (LG, Moto, Sony Ericsson, Nokia), I have always been able to set all my old phones' notifications to ringtone:incoming call, text msg:vibrate, voicemail:vibrate, everything off in silent mode.

Last edited:

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
Hm, the only thing I can reccomend is going to the official Android forums for Google and post it there. Maybe an android dev will be able to enlighten us. Good Luck and sorry I wasn't much help. :/

Keep us posted.

By the name of Zero

OP
yellowbarber

yellowbarber

Reaction score
Hm, the only thing I can reccomend is going to the official Android forums for Google and post it there. Maybe an android dev will be able to enlighten us.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I have posted to Goggle's Android forum and getting no answers there...ughh

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
They tend to be a bit slow but they are THE SOURCE. Ill take this minor inconvience in trade for all the other great things Android gives.

By the name of Zero

OP
yellowbarber

yellowbarber

Reaction score
exchange it for what? Are you able to get your D2g's voicemail indicator to vibrate?
Android on a cdma/gsm hybrid is awesome and I've been a verizon customer for years - but at the end of the day it's still just another [$300] consumer product, and the customer is always right; right?

OP
yellowbarber

yellowbarber

Reaction score
Hm, the only thing I can reccomend is going to the official Android forums for Google and post it there. Maybe an android dev will be able to enlighten us.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I have posted to Goggle's Android forum and getting no answers there...ughh

okay...after much searching (I can't believe how difficult it was to find this, I'm just a regular old Verizon customer, not a software developer!) I found this:Issue 10602 - android - Please add back vibrate mode removed in 2.2 - Project Hosting on Google Code

an issue on par with mine re: simple user setting for the phone's functionality; which was reported on Aug 19, 2010 and is still not resolved. This seems to be an issue with 2.2. A user added "NOT fixed in Android 2.3 on a Nexus S." on Dec 21st. And yesterday someone added that they are temorarily working around the issue with a widget, which is still not the solution we are looking for.

Issue 8668 - android - Volume rocker no longer goes from Volume -> Vibrate -> Silent in 2.2 - Project Hosting on Google Code opened on May 27 around the time the test build of 2.2 rolled out.

Issue 9465 - android - ANDROID 2.2: Regression- Vibrate and Silent no longer on volume control - Project Hosting on Google Code opened on Jul 02. Posted on Jan 10 - "This worked just fine in every other phone I've owned including Android 2.1 (SGS Captivate),until the most recent 2.2 update."

OP
yellowbarber

yellowbarber

Reaction score
if anyone's curious, here's how I eventually solved the problem:
•at first I used an app called voicemail notifier which allowed me to modify the notification settings for voicemails...then it started getting buggy (late or no notification)
•here's what's working now: I put a silent 3 second MP3 file in the media>audio>notifications file then selected it from the settings menu.

to make the silent file, I used an audio editing program and chopped off & copied the "bumper" from the end of a song in my music library. You should also be able do this with the ringdroid app and dedicate the file to the appropriate folder.