Where are the kernals?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by HamDog, Sep 15, 2010.

1. HamDog

HamDog New Member

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the difference between ROM and kernel in my other post. I've decided to further my learning to trying out different kernels first.

I see a great section on this website devoted to ROMs. But I can't see anyplace dedicated to kernels. I see lots of praise for the Chevy1 kernel, but all the info is on the SS rom by Chevy1. Am I missing something on this website? Is there a place to go where various kernels are listed?

Any help is appreciated!
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I don't think there is a directory of kernels, at least not yet
  3. sal33n

sal33n New Member

I would like to know this also. There seems to be no easy way to find info on how to locate kernels. And also it seems like looking at the ROMS from various people I can't always tell if there are kernels packaged with them or not? So if I root, then install some xyz kernel then install like lets say Bugless Beast or LFY am i overwriting the kernel I installed with one in those ROMS?
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

most kernels are downloaded from external servers and most kernel makers have their own sites for download, droid forums is host to external links to these sites and servers, but as far as file hosting on this level, that is a whole different thing
  5. sal33n

sal33n New Member

I am not talking about hosting. If you look in the Hacks are it's divided by different rom sections but there are no real kernel sections where we can find threads on kernels or who makes them or where to download them. The only way I see where to get some to try out is in some peoples SIGs.
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

The kernel is packaged in with the boot image, all ROM's have a kernel, because it is a complete overhaul of the device in question, look, feel, handling ability, kernel etc...

A theme on the other hand only targets the look of the ROM it was designed for and therefore no kernel is included

The best way to find kernels is with Google Search and if you would like to read about them here on the forum just type in google search (for example) "chevy's kernels froyo droid forums" it will bring up the link to the forum and in the O/P of the thread will be the external link to download the kernels

Chevy Kernels
    P3 Kernels
    Slahyer Kernels
  7. sal33n

sal33n New Member

So basically once you are rooted you can install the ROMs without having to install a custom kernel (for if u want to overclock or get tethering for example) first since they already have them in them?
  8. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Exactly...

Even stock Android has a kernel the CPU needs it to operate, custom kernels allow you the ability to run your processor faster at cooler temps with better battery life. Not all kernels heed these kind of results on all devices, some droids won't even boot with some kernels. This is why we have back-ups, you make a nandroid back-up, flash a new kernel (maybe a faster or lower voltage one) if you see good results you keep it, if your device won't go past the (M) or gets stuck in a boot loop, go into recovery and restore your back-up
  9. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID New Member

Question: I have already installed a ROM and Theme. Can I install a Kernel UNDERNEATH--let's say I want to overclock--this won't affect my ROM?

OR if you install a new Kernel you have to also install the new ROM (or the ROM you were already using) on top of it? (I kind of doubt this option but I need to ask)
  10. HamDog

HamDog New Member

I'm not an expert, but based on my reading and studying kernels and roms, you CAN install a different kernel after installing a custom ROM. If you reinstall the ROM again after installing a different kernel, the the kernel will be overwritten again by the ROM.
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Hamdog is correct, kernels can be flashed by themselves
  12. tjs

tjs Member

kernals

When I flash one these kernals, does it install automatically?
    Anything need to be wiped?
  13. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

No wipe, just flash :)
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Generally speaking, installing a kernel over (I guess UNDER was a better word choice) a ROM should work fine. So long as the kernel is provided in the "anyrom" format, which most (all?) seem to be, now.

The "Too Much Information" part:

In order to flash a kernel onto the boot partition, you need to have a boot.img file. This boot image consists of the kernel itself, an init filesystem, and some other information. The init filesystem contains the system startup scripts.

If the kernel you want to install is in the boot.img format, when you install it, it's going to overwrite the boot image that came with the ROM - possibly taking away some functionality that the rom needed (something it runs or doesn't run on startup, etc).

The "anyrom" format, however, does something different (and very clever). It only includes the kernel "zImage". When you install it, it dumps a copy of the current boot partition, extracts out the kernel and init filesystem, REpackages it up using the new zImage of the kernel you are installing, and then flashes it. Now you can use that kernel with ANY rom you want, provided that the kernel version and configuration are compatible.

Like I said, most or all kernels now are in the "anyrom" format. You can check for this by opening up the kernel update.zip file. If you see a boot.img file, that's a big indicator that it's not. If you see a kernel directory containing a zImage file, that means it's the anyrom format.
  15. tjs

tjs Member

Whats this "tunney" thing that popped up when I flashed the kernel?
Search tags for this page

verizon zimage

what are different kernals for s4
zimage motorola droid 3