where are my ringtones?

c_mack9

Reaction score
i added them to the mem card and i can set them as my ringtones and stuff butim wanting to text one to my buddy and i cant find them. i cant find where to access the card or the phone memory either. any help on the destination path?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you need to create this type of folder system on your sdcard

sdcard/media/audio/
I have 3 sub-folders in audio
I have:
sdcard/media/audio/alarms
sdcard/media/audio/notifications
sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

when you place your tones in any of those folders they will be seen by the system when you want to assign a ringtone its in the list alphabetized , same for notifications and alarms

your stock location of your sounds is
/system/media/audio

-=Jason=-

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
but how do i access /system/media/audio?

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
so i cant text something like a ringtone thats stored on my card unless its connected to the computer? that doesnt make sense.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
but how do i access /system/media/audio?
1. you must be rooted
2. you need "Root Explorer" or Terminal if you have the know how to browse via unix/dos commands

otherwise just do like I said and place your ringtones on your SDCARD. its better anyways you aren't taking up precious space on the phone with ringtones and photos and crap

-=Jason=-

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so i cant text something like a ringtone thats stored on my card unless its connected to the computer? that doesnt make sense.
if you want to send a stock ringtone via text or email you MUST BE ROOTED.

-=Jason=-

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
i think they are already on my sdcard. i dont want to send the stock ones. its an mp3 one that i thought was on my card. ill hook it up to my computer to make sure but when they are on your card, how can i find them? i dont see anywhere on this phone that gives me access to the files on the sdcard. im use to blackberrys, this kind of thing is very easy on them and im really surprised im having a hard time finding it with this phone. will it show up in the music section? 2 tones ive downloaded from emails are there but the ones from my card dont show up there.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think they are already on my sdcard. i dont want to send the stock ones. its an mp3 one that i thought was on my card. ill hook it up to my computer to make sure but when they are on your card, how can i find them? i dont see anywhere on this phone that gives me access to the files on the sdcard. im use to blackberrys, this kind of thing is very easy on them and im really surprised im having a hard time finding it with this phone. will it show up in the music section? 2 tones ive downloaded from emails are there but the ones from my card dont show up there.
I think blackberries are incredibly difficult to use just judging off the ones my salesmen have.. IHMO..

but if you downloaded then they ARE on your sdcard you can download a free program from the market called astro file manager its a file browser for the droid. or use your barcode scanner and scan this QR code with your droid.
chart

your MP3 is probably located in a folder called download or downloads and its on your sdcard. you can use astro to find it.

-=Jason=-

ZBoater

Reaction score
I use Ringdroid (free app) to convert any audio file I can save to my SD card to a ringtone or notification without being rooted. It automatically copies the file to the media directory. (sdcard/media/audio and either ringtones, alarms, or notifications).

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
I think blackberries are incredibly difficult to use just judging off the ones my salesmen have.. IHMO..

but if you downloaded then they ARE on your sdcard you can download a free program from the market called astro file manager its a file browser for the droid. or use your barcode scanner and scan this QR code with your droid.
chart

your MP3 is probably located in a folder called download or downloads and its on your sdcard. you can use astro to find it.

-=Jason=-
ahhh o i didnt know what those file managers were for, now i see. blackberrys give you that access without having to have an ap for it. thanks a lot, ill scan that and give it a shot.

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
well crap! there is an error on that site and its all in spanish!

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
alright i got astro from the market and i can longpress my file i want to text and a menu comes up that has send as an option. it gives the the options to send it via bluetooth, email, or gmail only. no text. FML.

kosmo96

Reaction score
Ringtones location

Your downloaded ringtones are seen as mucic files by the Droid. Hit the music icon --hit songs icon and you will see them there.

OP
C

c_mack9

Reaction score
nope. not the ones i added to the card when i got the phone. only the ones that i have downloaded show up in the music area. i can find all of my tones with astro, but i can not send any of them with messenger, only email. this is stupid. for a phone that "does" so much this is a pretty stupid thing to leave out. i mean we have been texting tones for years now.