1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Where are my playlists?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rolo_tamazi, Jun 7, 2010.

1. rolo_tamazi

rolo_tamazi New Member

So I just updated to 2.2 and am liking it so far. One thing though, I lost all my playlists (I guess that's what happens when you wipe) :icon_evil:. I still have my nandroid backups and I'm going through all the folders but can't seem to find where the droid stores the playlists. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?
  2. rolo_tamazi

rolo_tamazi New Member

[​IMG]
  3. rolo_tamazi

rolo_tamazi New Member

[​IMG]
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Another bump....I've had the same question. Have resisted creating playlists because of exactly this issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Can't find playlsts anywhere. They SHOULD be in media/audio (I create a custom Anycut shortcut to them before) but they don't show.

....hmmmm. I wonder if I can copy the playlist from that path with ADB?
  5. rolo_tamazi

rolo_tamazi New Member

man i've searched all over the interwebs and couldn't find a single solution. i've pretty much given up and have just resorted to backing up playlists with Titanium Backup. I haven't tried restoring a backup yet, so I'm not sure if it'll work. I'll test it out later and let you know. but i still do want to try and retrieve my lost playlists...
  6. mrdeadhead

mrdeadhead New Member

i just upgraded, too, but i didn't lose any of my playlists.

i'm having the curious problem of not being able to find any of the physical playlists anywhere on my phone. they're not missing in the music player, they just don't seem to exist beyond it. i'd love very much to be able to export some of the playlists i make on-the-go back to my computer (because i take great pride in my playlists :laugh: ). Android reeeeaaaally needs to be able to export playlists! they're actually really small and if it just sent them as an email attachment or something i'd be happy.

i've scoured every folder on my phone in Astro and i can't find any of the playlists i made on my phone. i can't even find the music player's application. and i'm looking through the onboard memory and the SD. it's really frustrating.

as for you other guys, i don't know if this'll help (poor reading skills + lazy = whoops) but if you make a playlist on your computer (say in itunes), and export it as an m3u playlist (right-click on playlist name -> export) and just drop it in your phone when it's mounted, it'll add the playlist the next time you load the music app. and even if there's songs you don't have on your phone that are on the playlist (say b/c of drive space in my case for example) it doesn't add the ones you don't have.

i usually put them in my Music folder just for organization's sake, but i'm pretty sure you can put it anywhere on your phone, because it scans the SD card everytime you start up for all media and playlist files regardless of what folder they're in.
  7. kodiak799

So sounds like te solution is to create playlists on the computer then?

Agree this is frustrating and silly. I guess from Google and the cell mfrs perspective no one is wiping cache/data flashing roms, so why the need? Still, anyone out there who decides to format SD is in for a rude awakening when they lose playlists.
  8. mrdeadhead

mrdeadhead New Member

yea, i've started to make them on my computer and just ship them over as .m3u. at least that way i have a backup. and you're right, if anyone ever formatted their card for whatever reason they're completely out all their playlists they made on the phone.

but it's a bummer because i really do enjoy making my playlists, especially while i'm away from my computer. and my computer has way more music on it than i could even fit onto my phone. so even if i make a good one, it still might not have all the songs on it and that involves even more work for me.

but it really is a weird way to design the interface, and i guess it just never occurred to them that whatever they did was silly. i'd think having the ability to export playlists easier would be kind of an obvious thing... i mean i can't even fathom why they wouldn't just have the music player create regular playlist files... it's just as fast, and it gives the user a bit more control and functionality over them. instead they have these things that must not actually exist outside the music app, that you can't really do anything with outside the phone. i wonder how they do it...

seriously the music player on the Droid leaves a lot to be desired. Google should blackmail Apple into giving them a good music player that connects with iTunes, in exchange for one of the countless google applications/services that powers the iPhone.
  9. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I use Mediamonkey for this. First you configure it for your Droid, telling it where your music goes on the SD. Then, create your playlists in Mediamonkey. Then right click the playlist>send>(droid drive synchronize). That will actually send all the playlist tracks to your Droid. Then again right click the playlist>send>export M3U and drop that in your Droid music directory, giving it the name you want.

There you go, M3Us and an easy way to copy over all the tracks that are in them.
  10. kodiak799

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to give this a shot. I've been wondering the best way to deal with a ton of songs on my computer that I don't necessarily want on my Droid, even for a particular artist. Was looking to flag songs I want to auto sync on my Droid. Sounds like this could do the trick.
  11. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

No prob, I use this app for everything... iPod, Zen players, and any USBMass device like the Droid.

Aside from the playlist ability, you can also set up more typical syncing options to easily add/remove stuff, but that only works at the artist/album/folder level. With playlists you can sync just individual songs as well.
Search tags for this page

android losing playlists

android lost playlists

android music player loses playlist

android music player lost playlist

android playlist location

android playlist lost
droid bionic lost playlist
droid loses playlists
every time droid razr maxx updates playlust wiped out
lose playlist droid 4

lost playlist android