Whens the final product of Google navigation coming out?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tu3218, Jan 30, 2010.

1. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

Does anyone know when the completed Google navigation will be released? I love the beta, just wondering when we can expect the full, completed version.
  2. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

The app will never be "completed".
    It will always be evolving as they make improvements to it.

As it is it's great.. it can only get better over the years.
  3. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

Yeah I know, but at least out of beta. Like they're working on a "final" product now that they will release at some point. Yeah, they will always continue to update it, etc. But they still have a "final" version to come out. Right?
  4. the3dolla

the3dolla New Member

um no..

There possibly won't be a final product for years..

Gmail was in "beta" for 30 months.

It would be nice to see more voices, multiple destinations, etc.
  5. AKValle26

AKValle26 New Member

Maybe, maybe not. Google has a habit of keeping products in beta for a long time. Gmail was in beta for over five years before the 'final.'
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Google is almost to big for their own good... Things are stuck in beta for so long because they have SO MANY things they are trying to work on... I would be highly surprise if Navigator was in beta for less than a couple of years. For starters it's not on too many devices yet (only 2.* devices).
  7. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

Oh wow, I didn't realize that about gmail. Oh well, I'm satisfied with the navigation as is. Just wish for some more settings.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Google continues to improves it's products, you'll probably see more settings as time goes on.
  9. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Odds are better IMO that we'll see other full-featured GPS solutions for Android as its popularity grows.

Have you suggested any of these things to Google? I don't have the URL handy but you should be able to find it easily by either Googling or searching here.
  10. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

works perfectly fine as a beta to me.

considering how google is always looking to update and expand, then a final product shouldn't be out for awhile. I didn't follow google much until i got my Droid and i am amazed at how much they've expanded from their simple search engine.
  11. Newps

Newps New Member

Exactly, why do I care if they call it a beta or not?
  12. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I don't wish to be rude, but I think you don't really know what you're talking about. They don't keep products in beta because they have so many, they keep them in beta because they don't settle for just "it works". They continually improve on their products so none of their programs are ever really "finished" so they are all essentially in continual "beta".

You will most likely never ever see a google non beta navigation app. First because an app like that will always need to be updated and improved and because beta gives them some wiggle room if the program doesn't work quite right - you were warned when you started the program that it is beta and may not work correctly. Otherwise they'd probably get in trouble, though they do work to fix bugs regardless.

Google is a pretty large company now with many smart individuals working on lots of various projects, but it's not why their products always stay in beta.... it's just a google thing lol. =)
  13. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Well if you look at what you wrote you not only SUPPORT what I wrote you contradict yourself....
    Google has LESS than 20K employees currently (19,835 as of their 2009 statements). That's less than 1/10 of M$ and a full 1/3 less than Apple. If you look at the employee ratios for what they are trying to accomplish they are severely understaffed (seeing as they fall somewhere between those two companies). It's a simple FACT the more people you have working on a product the sooner you get it to that "work[ing] correctly" state.

It's not a criticism per say just a fact. And if they really intend to be taken seriously as a threat (particularly in the phone market) they are going to need to address these issues. There are only so many 'early adopters' out there than will settle for beta programs and CONSTANT updates. Fact is the AVERAGE customer wants a finished and polished product.
  14. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

You're nitpicking. Large can be a relative term. People large they are still a big company though not as large as the ones you listed. capital wise, they are larger than most, including verizon and motorola I believe.

And you are missing the point about why their products say in beta. It has nothing to do with being understaffed or not focusing enough on one project. With google there is NO finish. their products are constantly evolving. This is why they dominate most of their competition.

The constant updates I find are a blessing. Unless a person is mentally deficient and can barely use the phone I think that having updates to fix bugs and provide performance enhancments to be a good thing. I'd rather not take the Microsoft approach of getting a (excuse the language) Large steaming pile of crap software like vista was and then have to wait forever to get patches and service packs.

Having a company that is on top of things and allows the community to contribute is to me at least very refreshing. You also have the option of just not using an open source phone if updates bother you. There are plenty of other phones out there including the iphone, winmo phones....etc
  15. Champers

Champers New Member

Try more than 63 months ;)

Gmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  16. lschicky

lschicky New Member

Google gets that the world and the things we use are always evolving. Think about how mnay products out there that are "final product" become quickly outdated? The early ipods, cell phones, computers, tvs, dvd, cd, audio cassette, beta video tapes, VHS, etc. Products need to continue to evolve, and not just update to keep up with the modern world.

Google Earth launched June 28, 2005 as Google Earth and prior to that in 2001 as EarthViewer 3D, and if Memory serves me right, Google maps launched prior to Google earth's launch. I know one of their teams that helped bring Google maps & earth to light is now working on Google wave.
Search tags for this page
when is final google navigation being released
when will google navigation be out

when will google navigation be out of beta

when will google navigation come out of beta