Whenever I reboot, phone tries to do 2.2 update again.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tk421, Aug 26, 2010.

1. tk421

tk421 New Member

I rooted my phone and installed FRG22 to get to the 2.2

Now whenever I power cycle my phone, it tries to do the OTA update again????

Should I install something else instead of FRG22? Or is there a way to get the update to stop trying to install?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

TK
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Many folks have this experience. The consensus -- let the the download complete it will not install because of the recovery system. If you are uncomfortable make a backup first.

Mike
  3. tk421

tk421 New Member

I have let the OTA update complete, but it keeps coming back each time I reboot the phone.
  4. junjuny75

junjuny75 New Member

Same here. ive let it try and install about 3 times already.
  5. tk421

tk421 New Member

re rooted today with Androot?, can i just remove the update.zip file?
  6. ndoren

ndoren New Member

I've heard that the FRG22D patch breaks root totally. Do you still actually have root after FRG22D? I don't think Androot or Easyroot work at all once FRG22D is installed, and that install also happens to break root that was installed previously under FRG01B. So, basically you're screwed... because your rooting app says you're rooted, but you're not, and you can neither actually root nor unroot at that point.

At this point, the common wisdom is to stay at FRG01B if you're rooted, until Androot and/or Easyroot have a fix to let you re-root under FRG22D. You don't really need FRG22D anyway, because you can manually install Flash 10.1 on FRG01B.

Rooting is different than modifying the recovery system. I don't think Androot or Easyroot modify the recovery image. I know Easyroot doesn't. So if you had a rooted FRG01B and a stock recovery, and you update to FRG22D thus breaking root, who knows what the OTA updater will do. Sounds like it gets confused.

The process of letting the download complete, only to have it rejected and forgotten, is a function of a custom recovery such as SPRecovery or ClockworkMod. Sounds like FRG22D messes up rooted phones with the stock recovery. In fact, the official FRG01B and FRG22D will automatically overwrite any custom recovery and replace it with stock at OS reboot time.
    See
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-feature-undo-custom-recovery-partitions.html

Neall
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. tk421

tk421 New Member

I rooted again with Androot yesterday per directions that were just posted yesterday. Busybox installer also tells me phone is rooted. Is there a good way to test root acess?

Sorry bit of a noob here!
  8. ndoren

ndoren New Member

9. log

log New Member

Androot team has already found out how to get root on FRG22D? Or did you run it on FRG01B?
  10. tk421

tk421 New Member

11. log

log New Member

Sorry, I missed the part where you were already rooted to install a custom FRG22 rom :)

Androot does NOT work on FRG22D (even in your link it confirms), you probably got an already rooted FRG22?
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, the FRG22D that was presented by P3 Droid IS for rooted Droids, but as the OP was saying every reboot it tries to reinstall FRG01B.
Search tags for this page

android phone tries to update every time i reboot