1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

When you tether...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by czerdrill, Mar 13, 2010.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

you're still using Verizon's network right? It's just a way for you to use their network to get online wherever you are pretty much right?
  2. SinCitySRT4

SinCitySRT4 New Member

yea pretty much
  3. LtKen

LtKen New Member

You're just linking the 3G network connection to your PC, that's all. The phone is getting the information to and from your PC and translating it to and from the 3G network.
  4. jkhouw1

jkhouw1 New Member

You mean you HOPE your a linking the 3G network. Because if get the 1x network you might die of old age before a web page renders. :dry:
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Do I have to install something on my computer to make the tethering work or just on the droid? I installed the apk, and set up the way Matthew said in his thread, but now sure where to go from there...
  6. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

There are two types of tethering. Wireless which requires a rooted phone and a wireless card on the computer for it to work. This way you are using the phone as a wireless router and multiple computers can connect to the phone's internet connection. Then there is he USB tether that requires software on the phone and the computer to work. It uses a proxy connection to transluate between them. With this connection only one computer can be connected to the phone.

So after describing all this, which one are you trying to use?
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Wireless tethering does this mean I dont have to plug the phone in to the computer? Just start the tethering and the "network" should show up in my available wireless networks list? Just wondering exactly how it works, because I can't seem ot figure it out.
  8. CaptainLatch

CaptainLatch New Member

If u have the app just touch and start teathering. Go to your computer and look for networks. It will find the tether and u can connect to it. Wireless internet newhere u have phone service
  9. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

perfect works great, this phone impresses me everyday...too bad your technically not supposed to tether, definitely a great feature, but if verizon catches you that would suck
  10. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

hmm seem to have lost my tether after upgrading to BB .8 My network doesn't show on my list when I try to connect. Any ideas? Worked fine with .7...

Nevermind it works.