When will there be games like iPhone/iTouch

hubdroid

Reaction score
Does anyone know when there will be games like Madden/ f.a.s.t./ etc. that utilize the touch screen with great graphics and smooth play? I just see the same apps/games in the market everytime. Not really interested in the 20 Gang Wars or all the Domino games in the market. Just seems like all the market games are more elementary in graphics.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
ToonWarz is a start... 3d fps + multiplayer... with multitouch enabled... kinda crappy but it works

skourg3

Reaction score
It will take some time. I've posted this before, but I'll say it again in that there are a few major hindrances for developing for Android from a developer's perspective.

Pros for Android: Java-based, so more familiar to a lot of developers. Can support the "good guys," though that's a matter of opinion (Google vs. Apple).

Pros for Apple: Larger market (games are marketed towards kids with iPod Touches just as much as iPhones, which drastically increases their consumer base). More time (Apple's mobile OS is a bit more mature than Android). Hardware (Apple's hardware is strictly regulated and, despite there now being a decent variety of devices, the hardware between iPhones and iPod Touches is close enough that developers can be much more confident that what they build will run on the devices. Despite the fact that the Droid is pretty equivalent to an iPhone 3GS, not all Android phones are nearly this powerful. Also, because of multi-tasking, it's a little harder to account for what users will be running on their phones that could cause slowdowns/bugs, something that isn't a factor on iPhones). Money (most App Store products cost money, where as Android has a decent variety of free apps).

The development of more Android devices outside of the smartphone market will be, in my opinion, what makes or breaks Android game development. There are currently a couple of Android tablets floating around/in development (by Archeros I think?), but that is more of a niche market. There has also been talk about Android running on netbooks, which may or may not help depending on it's success (not to mention the differences in interfaces between a phone and a netbook... full keyboard, mouse vs touchscreen, no accelerometer in netbooks, etc).

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
I agree with what everyone has said, but the android gaming market still hasn't been tapped! All it would take would be a couple of developers and a garage, to create an amazing 3D game. It would have to be a FPS, RPG, or RTS because those are the most popular games.

Seriously though, some developers could get rich because this platform is lacking any apps that target hardcore gamers. I tried toonwarz and it's a good start but I think someone can do way better.

Improve the controls a little on Toonwarz and put them in a game like quake II and that would be a game worth playing.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The iphone apps have a huge head start on android...Give it a little time...they games will come..

Kova

Reaction score
You guys have to remember that the iPhone has been out for quite a while now. The original 2G iPhone was released on June 29, 2007 and the 3G about a year later on July 10 or 11 of 08 I think it was. So all in all its been out a bit longer than the droid. Just give it some time. They'll start rolling in soon.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
whoaaaa kova youre tomb raider :D. diggin out this old thread. last comment was 3 months ago. many things have changed. many good iphone devs working now for android too. we have polarbit, hyperdevbox, pixelbite, dvidearts and more to come. look just at the sticky or on our droidblog.

M

Matth3w

[video=youtube;5LEjO9DGppo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEjO9DGppo]YouTube - 100 ANDROID GAMES IN TWO VIDEO[/video]

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i really HATE this kind of videos. you cant put 100 games in one or two videos and demonstrate everyone of them good enaugh. and there are to many crap in the vid. shorter videos with just one game are 100times better. btw : dont just post a video some sentences also would be nice :).

Foolish

Reaction score
Ya but while their are some games getting better the iphone is pulling away. I mean street fighter? what about raging thunder looks 3 times better on the iphone......and I know what ure gonna say who cares about street fighter we have emulators. I know that but its the fact that capcom decide to port a copy itself that matters

M

Matth3w

Ok, here are some ideas for games. They still give you an idea of what a game looks like, what the name is, etc.

Hell, people do tons of reviews on full PC games but that doesn't mean you are going to like them. So having a longer video or better review doesn't mean you have a better chance at liking the game or deciding necessarily. I've bought many games that I watched full length trailers, read full reviews, read the box, and thought the game sucked after.

M

Matth3w

Ya but while their are some games getting better the iphone is pulling away. I mean street fighter? what about raging thunder looks 3 times better on the iphone......and I know what ure gonna say who cares about street fighter we have emulators. I know that but its the fact that capcom decide to port a copy itself that matters
This has already been explained in this thread and a million other threads. Right now the iPhone holds about 45% of the market share while Android devices have about 15%. It makes more sense financially at this point to make an app for the iPhone.

The iPhone has almost a 2.5-3 year head start on the Android devices. The G1 never really took off.

Do people really buy their phone to play games anyhow?

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
raging thunder and all other polarbit games are DIRECT PORTS they dont look better on the iphone. did you saw the raging thunder 2 android video ? it looks just brilliant. the only difference is the motion blur. this feature isn´t available in the android version cause its a part of open gl es 2.0. and polarbit have to experiment a bit with the new android ndk to including it for our platform.

yeah iphone is longer on the start. but for example the palm pre ISNT and there are MANY MANY iphone ports on the palm pre. even gameloft are porting all of their great iphone games directly to palm pre. and we all know the pre really sucks and has totally bad sales. But the pre simply had a better NDK. right now with the new NDK 3 from google more developers sure will join our system.

k1ng617

Reaction score
right now with the new NDK 3 from google more developers sure will join our system.

I sure hope your right! I'm very new to Android (5 days old) so I was wondering how the firmware updates affect the developers. If I update firmware will all of my apps need to be updated as well? Do devs wait for updates before they release or are some apps only available for the latest firmware ie: 2.1?