When will the price drop?

Andy603

Reaction score
upgrades from agents vs Verizon direct

You are creating an additional contract with the retailer saying you will keep the phone activated until you've satisfied your verizon contract. If you dont, you must pay the balance on the deal

No sure what you mean here... For example if my Verizon contract expires in May (which it does) I'd be signing another contract with Dell. BTW, Dell calls it an option to 'renew/upgrade your contract' then in the shopping cart its called 'contract extension'. Cannot make out reading the Ts & Cs if I am required to continue my old contract until it expires AND the new one for 2 years. What remains unclear is if I no longer get bills directly from Verizon and view my minutes, account, etc directly from Verzion.

Anybody have any insights?

fatpomp

Reaction score
Everything will still be through Verizon as far as I know. Here's an example about the contracts. Say three months down the road you decide you don't want the x anymore and you activate a different phone on your line. You have now broke your contract agreement with the company you bought the phone from and they will charge you for the device. When you sign the contract with them you have to keep it activated on that line for whatever amount of time they request in the contract. You can't change anything on your plan until after that time period has passed. They do it this way so you cant buy it for 50 bucks and a week later sell it for 400.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Andy603

Reaction score
Thanks.... That certainly makes sense...but then why wouldn't Verizon do the same thing...you are bound by their contracts for 2 years as well...but instead, they want $299 up front with $100 mail in rebate and a 2 year contract- and of course if I break the contract I pay for the phone!

carguy

Reaction score
i was planning on buying the DX tomorrow. But i didnt want to buy it if there gonna lower the price or start a buy 1 get 1 free the next week. Any suggestions? thanks :)
Bought my DX through Costco for $129.99 with a 2 year agreement.

That Dell.com sounds like a pretty sweet deal :D

Wirefly

Reaction score
Thanks.... That certainly makes sense...but then why wouldn't Verizon do the same thing...you are bound by their contracts for 2 years as well...but instead, they want $299 up front with $100 mail in rebate and a 2 year contract- and of course if I break the contract I pay for the phone!

Actually the "contract" with Wirefly and Dell, and any other sites run by our parent company Simplexity, is for the first 181 days. Our terms state the following:

Wirefly promises you savings in the form of instant discounts with no rebates or gimmicks when you sign up for wireless carrier service. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 6 months after activation. Deactivating your phone, or downgrading features or the rate plan, may lead to additional charges. To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from Wirefly.
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.
Please note some of the reasons your wireless carrier may notify us of a deactivation include if:

<LI class=wf20_corestyle_li>You transfer this equipment to another carrier line of service after it is activated <LI class=wf20_corestyle_li>You change your rate plan to a lower monthly service rate than was specifically required at the point of purchase <LI class=wf20_corestyle_li>You deactivate texting/data features that were specifically required at the point of purchase<LI class=wf20_corestyle_li>The new line of service activated with your order is used to replace a pre-existing account
Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. I am happy to answer them for you!:)

want a droid

Reaction score
What is the cheapest anyone has gotten a DX without a contract (ebay, craigslist, etc.)?

I was looking to pick one up just to try it out and compare to my Droid2, but all I find on ebay are DXs $300+.

Mikeurl

Reaction score
ugh

I just upgraded to the Droid X about a week ago and it cost me $150 after rebate. Now i find out I could have gotten the same thing from Dell for $50.

That is ridiculous. What accounts for such an enormous difference? I hate getting ripped off...

Edit: Verizon made this right for me. Kudos to their customer service.

Last edited:

jrdenver

Reaction score
Cheapest?

I got the droid X over Christmas when they were doing BOGO. It had $100 rebate, and Verizon's data-only promotion (through the end of the year) where any phone you activated (with DATA) waived the $9.99 add a line. I already have a family plan, and left my plan/minutes the same.

I added a new line, got the Droid X for $299 with $100 rebate (essentially $199 -- rebate has since been received). I then used the BOGO to get a droid 2 global free for my wife. Since she now falls under the new data-only promo, I also got the 9.99/mo waived on HER phone without extending her contract! (Bonus: she is eligible for a new phone again in 7 months, I just re-verified with Verizon).

Savings = $9.99 on her line x 24 = $239.76 plus tax saved.

I then took the data OFF my old # and put an old clamshell phone I had lying around on instead. The total cost of my new line was zero monthly (new line = $30 data, no line fee, old line = minus $30 data, same $9.99 line fee).

Based on my math = $199 droid 2 global & Droid x, less $239.76 in reoccurring monthly access fees = Verizon paid me $40.76 to buy Droid X & Droid 2 global, with the obvious understanding that I am handcuffed for 2 years :)

I have already seen the new bill, and the monthly fees are saving me $13.22 with my local tax rate, so I would really be saving $118.28 (317.28 less $199) over 24 months, but I will obviously be getting new phones between now and then, so I will probably loose the line fee promotion.

Either way, even if I only keep the line-fee promo for 6 months, I save $79.32 against my $199, so I got a Droid X and Droid 2 global for $119.68 in my WORST case scenario :)

I should mention that I didn't care about changing my phone number since I use google voice for everything, and didn't even KNOW my old number (I had to look at phone > status to find it while in the store). I have 2 phones up for eligibility in 2011, and can't wait to see what my options are :)