When will 2.2 be coming?

IamGov

Reaction score
Gingerbread maybe a future option as Samsung was one of the first companies to use in testing, the Nexus S. The only problem here is that users of a Galaxy series phone/tablet may not upgrade to newer samsung devices if they indeed get Gingerbread. Besides if you look at the interface of Gingerbread it is not as big of a jump as it was from 2.1 to 2.2. Worry about getting 2.2 then we can start the Gingerbread or even Honeycomb theories.

With the Epic starting to get it's Froyo next week I feel VZW will be just behind with the Fascinate update. Then again VZW does not appear to be in love with Samsung like they are with Motorola.

sunnysnowflake

Reaction score
My fascinate says there is an update available but every time I try to update it I get "Server Unavailable." And sometimes it will think and think but the update never completes. It says 2.1, 1 update.

I took the phone to Verizon and the guy worked on it for a few hours and wasn't able to get an update to go either. He said I might need to exchange it for a new one.

Any suggestions?

IamGov

Reaction score
Yes. First this is an update through came some months ago. This is not froyo.

First make sure you are off wifi. For some reason it won't update on wifi.

After turning off wifi try the update again. If still failing dial *228 and press 1st to reprogram. Then reboot and try agaon. This won't delete anything, it just reprograns vzw with your phone's credentials.

Sent via my Fascinate on the Droidforums app.
Owned D1, Incred, X, D2, and the Fascinate is the best.

sunnysnowflake

Reaction score
Yes. First this is an update through came some months ago. This is not froyo.

First make sure you are off wifi. For some reason it won't update on wifi.

After turning off wifi try the update again. If still failing dial *228 and press 1st to reprogram. Then reboot and try agaon. This won't delete anything, it just reprograns vzw with your phone's credentials.

Sent via my Fascinate on the Droidforums app.
Owned D1, Incred, X, D2, and the Fascinate is the best.

Okay, so I turned off wifi, it tried to find the update package for about 5 minutes. Eventually shut itself off, back on and it says
"update failed or incomplete"
"Reason: IP, previous update failed"
"sofware updates automatically and the mobil will power off and on as part of this special offering"

So, again, unable to update. I guess I will wait for Froyo and take it into Verizon at that time.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Try doing a manual update -- you can download the update's .zip file on the web. Recovery should recognize it and install it fine.

Secondly, the rumor is that FroYo is NOT coming to the Fascinate -- you will be jumping straight to Gingerbread, and nobody knows how long it will be before Sammy gets in gear and gets a decent Gingerbread version baked up and iced properly for you Fascinaters. :)

ChuckG73

Reaction score
If all else fails try using Odin and pushing all the files to your phone. That is what worked for me. When I rebooted the phone for the 1st time, my phone found the update and installed it without a problem. DI01 was the update so donot get too ecited.

snowcraig

Reaction score
Try doing a manual update -- you can download the update's .zip file on the web. Recovery should recognize it and install it fine.

Secondly, the rumor is that FroYo is NOT coming to the Fascinate -- you will be jumping straight to Gingerbread, and nobody knows how long it will be before Sammy gets in gear and gets a decent Gingerbread version baked up and iced properly for you Fascinaters. :)

This jives with what the VZW rep told me.

zadrozny44

Reaction score
So i was talking with a verizon rep today and i asked about the 2.2update for the fascinate and she snickered and said she would know as soon as i did so somethings up

Sent from my SCH-I500

ChuckG73

Reaction score
So i was talking with a verizon rep today and i asked about the 2.2update for the fascinate and she snickered and said she would know as soon as i did so somethings up

Sent from my SCH-I500

Probably means she gets that question all day long and has no answer.....

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
You know, yes 2.2 would be nice but really side by side comparison with my Fascinate (2.1) and my wifes DX (2.2) my phone still kicks its ass and runs just as good if not better because motoblur really is killing that phone IMHO. But to stay on topic, im doing just fine with 2.1 so far....

OP
N

Njn92

Reaction score
I just want it bc all these updates are out and we have ****. At first I didn't care but id like updates I paid good money for this phone lol. Also a rumor out that honeycombs coming in march...?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Honeycomb will be hitting in March, yes, reportedly, but that doesn't mean the Fascinate will get it at all because Honeycomb is optimized for dual-core processors and tablets in specific.

OP
N

Njn92

Reaction score
That I did not know...hence gingerbread for single cores?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's one way to look at it. I'm sure there will be a single-core variant of Honeycomb for single-core users, but if Sammy can't even get a decent FroYo port for you guys (and the hardware is QUITE capable of supporting it), how will get the bees to make some Honeycomb inside your phones? :) Heck, nobody knows when Gingerbread will be baked officially for anything but the Nexus S. (Which, being made by Samsung, means that the company has a good handle on Gingerbread and hopefully will have a port for you guys soon, if you think about it.)

But Honeycomb is being aimed at tablets and dual-core devices because dual-core is the hot ticket for next year -- 4G/LTE being the the other hot ticket, but that's not software-dependent.

Rogue27

Reaction score
Its says 2.1 update 1 on all our samsungs and thats because there has been one update since the phone release not because update is available