When to Upgrade to LTE? Is it a Game of Chicken?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by npro1464, May 6, 2011.

1. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I am perfectly happy with my rooted, ROMed, overclocked Droid 1 and have no real sense of urgency to jump on one of the new LTE devices out right now. However, we all know it is a matter of time before Verizon capps data and I read somewhere here that Verizon may even charge an extra $10/month for LTE in the near future.

I eventually want to go to LTE, but I feel like I'm just breaking in my Droid now and thought I could wait a very long time before my next upgrade. Data capping isn't a huge concern of mine, since I never really go far beyond 1 GB somehow a month, but I'd be dipped if I have to shell out an extra $10/month for something I could have had for the same price I pay now per month for data. Is this a game of chicken if I wait for the dual core LTE phones to come out? Has anyone upgraded to the Thunderbolt (or Charge) early for this reason?

2. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I guess it is, they still advertise the 29.99 unlimited data on commercials heavily

3. xan

xan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting till the 4G & 3G to be all on one efficient chip. Running two separate chips in a phone for data seem like a bandaid solution to me.

4. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    that's true. It's very dissapinging to see that the 4g chip is so big, the galaxy s 2 is too thin for it. The thunderbolt is just as thick as the d1 and it doesn't even have a keyboard!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much. Pick your poison...