When on phone I can't get rid of black screen

titleman

Reaction score
I have my phone set to hang up when I tap the power button.

The problem I have is that when I'm on the phone with some service person I put the speaker on and lay the phone down and the screen will go black. I can't figure out how to get a screen back where I can turn the speaker off or look at something else while I'm still on the call. If I tap the power key I lose my call.

Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I wonder if it’s the “power button ends call” option that is causing this. I don’t have that option checked and when on speaker phone, my screen never goes black. That’s how it’s supposed to work in speaker phone mode (or at least I think so). Maybe the “power button ends call” is designed to turn the screen off even in speaker phone mode? Have you tried unchecking it for a little while and make a call & use speaker phone to see if the screen stays on? At least then you would know if it’s that option or if there is something else wrong with your phone.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
May be a sensor issue as well. Are you using a case or a screen protector?

Sent from my DE Moto X

OP
T

titleman

Reaction score
I wonder if it’s the “power button ends call” option that is causing this............

Yes I believe this to be the problem and was wanting to find a way to get a screen back in this mode?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes I believe this to be the problem and was wanting to find a way to get a screen back in this mode?

I think you have to uncheck the power button ends calls. Then you will have a phone screen all the time in speaker phone mode.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
That is the problems with the "power button ends call" feature. When the screen dims or times out, there is no way to wake it up. They screwed the pooch with that setting. I used to use it all the time with my Droid X because you could wake the screen up with other buttons but not with the M.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That is the problems with the "power button ends call" feature. When the screen dims or times out, there is no way to wake it up. They screwed the pooch with that setting. I used to use it all the time with my Droid X because you could wake the screen up with other buttons but not with the M.

Sounds like it. I never used that feature, wasn't aware that it worked better on older phones. I have searched all through my phone and cannot find any setting that would let the volume buttons turn the screen back on. I guess the power button is the only option, but if the screen is blacked out the call will end. That's a bummer that the process doesn't work as good as it used to.