When Nexus One comes out for Verizon should I switch?

lowtech

Reaction score
Ahhh, so if you don't like the MotoDroid you are fat. Nice logic.

I can disprove that theory! :smile:

Me too. In fact I'll bet I am in better shape than Dave. :icon_ banana:

But size and weight are important to me... bad back, lots of "stuff" (probably related! :))- the fewer ounces I add to the load the better I like it. That said, if I had really liked the Droid I would have overlooked that, but the fact is I just didn't, while the Eris has been a pleasure right from the start. Different strokes, as they say...!

chimera101

Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that if I want to upgrade my Eris to the Nexus when it comes out, I'll have to pay the full price for the phone?

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that if I want to upgrade my Eris to the Nexus when it comes out, I'll have to pay the full price for the phone?

Yes.

But you could sell your Eris to help offset the cost.

addictedwayz

Reaction score
you can always add a new line

Not exactly you can always add a line and pay the 9.99 extra a month or just pay the whole thing out right so you do have an option.

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not exactly you can always add a line and pay the 9.99 extra a month or just pay the whole thing out right so you do have an option.

Actually, the add a line option would be $9.99/month PLUS $29.99 for the data plan.

addictedwayz

Reaction score
not exactly

Actually, the add a line option would be $9.99/month PLUS $29.99 for the data plan.

You can always use the 9.99 line and put it on a dummy phone so you wont have to pay the 29.99. But the phone has to be a non smart phone.

noisufnoc

Reaction score
I had the same question on my mind if I should switch phones. I tried to read up on all the available info, watch youtube video for the Nexus one. I came to the conclusion that there's always going to be a better phone out there ! Besides, I can't express enough how flash player 10.1 format for smart phones will change how you will use your phone. Your smartphone will be like a mini laptop.You will be able to stream video ,music , interactive games online ETC.... Adobe's being working on this since early last year. They used the Nexus One as one the examples of what adobe can do for your smartphone. They are working on other smartphones too. (Hopefully on all HTC smartphones) So don't be to to quick to switch over . I going to see if it happens for the Eris "with Flash Player" first than ...If not ... Than I will switch !!!:)

They also used a Droid to demo Flash Player

[video=youtube;p8wuJ129d0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8wuJ129d0w[/video]

a73

Reaction score
dumb question, but how do you switch phones before your Droid's 2-year contract is up? When N1 comes to Verizon, do you buy the Nexus 1 at full price ($~580) or can you buy it for $180 with a new 2 year contract?

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
dumb question, but how do you switch phones before your Droid's 2-year contract is up? When N1 comes to Verizon, do you buy the Nexus 1 at full price ($~580) or can you buy it for $180 with a new 2 year contract?

Scroll up. :)

esmail

Reaction score
I love my Eris, but the Nexus One does look pretty cool. What are you all gonna do?
Yes, I will definitely give the Nexus 1 serious consideration. I have no need for a physical keyboard, and I like having a faster processor.

I currently have an Eris (still in my 30 day evaluation period) and I have several issues with it (ActiveSync Exchange doesn't work fully with Zimbra - my work e-mail, no weekly view in calendar mode, missing time stamps for some activities, etc) -- PLUS the battery life. And sometimes the Eris lags. I love its form factor and prefer its design much over the Droid.

So, if I can have a faster Eris, with a more up-to-date version of the OS, sure I'll give it a try. I also wonder how soon HTC/Verizon will keep up with OS updates considering the Eris is still running 1.5, and how well the Eris can handle newer versions of the OS.

Two questions remain of course:

1. Battery Life - given how slim it is one has to wonder.

2. *When* will it come to Verizon?

OP
L

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love my Eris, but the Nexus One does look pretty cool. What are you all gonna do?
Yes, I will definitely give the Nexus 1 serious consideration. I have no need for a physical keyboard, and I like having a faster processor.

I currently have an Eris (still in my 30 day evaluation period) and I have several issues with it (ActiveSync Exchange doesn't work fully with Zimbra - my work e-mail, no weekly view in calendar mode, missing time stamps for some activities, etc) -- PLUS the battery life. And sometimes the Eris lags. I love its form factor and prefer its design much over the Droid.

So, if I can have a faster Eris, with a more up-to-date version of the OS, sure I'll give it a try. I also wonder how soon HTC/Verizon will keep up with OS updates considering the Eris is still running 1.5, and how well the Eris can handle newer versions of the OS.

Two questions remain of course:

1. Battery Life - given how slim it is one has to wonder.

2. *When* will it come to Verizon?

1. My guess is that much of the initial cost ($579) is because of a sweet slimline battery.

2. They are saying Spring of 2010. I find it hard to believe Google would publish that if it wasn't true.

As far as your Eris, give them time. Rumors are of an OS upgrade in a couple of weeks. Also, check out the Seido 1750mah battery. Same physical size as the current battery with more battery life.

The Eris is perfect for my needs. Others may need more, but I don't want something bulky and heavy. Been there, done that, don't want it again.

esmail

Reaction score
1. My guess is that much of the initial cost ($579) is because of a sweet slimline battery.

2. They are saying Spring of 2010. I find it hard to believe Google would publish that if it wasn't true.

As far as your Eris, give them time. Rumors are of an OS upgrade in a couple of weeks. Also, check out the Seido 1750mah battery. Same physical size as the current battery with more battery life.

The Eris is perfect for my needs. Others may need more, but I don't want something bulky and heavy. Been there, done that, don't want it again.

Agreed, the Eris is (nearly) perfect, if the Nexus 1 wasn't coming out on Verizon I'd probably stick with it. (Droid was too bulky/heavy for me too)