When did HP start making expensive laptops (talking about the super thin Spectre)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by pc747, Apr 5, 2016.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,823

When I think of HP and Compaq (same company) I think of budget computer/laptop that is meant to get the job done but not the first device I would gravitate to. I see HP sort of like I would see something like a middle of the road smartphone. It does the job but it is not the phone that I am going to use to battle an iPhone or Samsung.

What you think, are you willing to give the Spectre a look?

2. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,074
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Their business class laptops were great devices.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,037
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    I have never had luck with an HP. They are what they are, a budget machine..

4. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,074
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    The pavilions are but not the elitebooks.

5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I'm reading this on a Pavilion right now. The second one I've ever owned. This one was much cheaper than the last one I had, but it's serving it's purpose just fine. Granted, I bought it at Wal-Mart this weekend when I couldn't take any more of my Lenovo, but I ran that last Pavilion into the ground. I think it came with Vista, I loaded 7 on it because I got free licenses while I was studying IT, then I put the Windows 8 beta on it. Loved that thing.

The Lenovo never ran as well as it should for the specs. It should STILL be a decent computer, but it's garbage. They botched the video driver and won't support it in Windows 10, even though it's fully capable of running it. Wife's had similar troubles with her Lenovo as well.

I think this new HP looks slick and if I was in the market for a higher end PC than the one I'm typing on, I'd be all over it.

The only thing that's bugged me about this computer so far is that I don't particularly care for the trackpad, but it gets the job done and doesn't crash every other time I use the computer like the Lenovo did.

I realize this is a new device, so that may be why, but I find myself grabbing this thing way more often than I ever grabbed the Lenovo. It actually boots up quick like it should and doesn't lag constantly with everything I try to do.

Sorry for the rant. The wound is still fresh. I can agree that I don't exactly think of them competing against Apple/etc, but I also wouldn't count them out of such a fight.