When changing roms?

David522

Reaction score
I want to change my rom that im using now, if i do so will i lose my setup on the existing rom? or will i be able to switch back to in as the same in the future?

And, sorry bit of a noob, but how do you change roms?

Thanks

Last edited:

superglen99

Reaction score
It is always best and sometimes you have to wipe data/cache when changing roms. if you go to the rom makers section on this forum it will let you know if you need to wipe. as a rule of thumb i would always wipe just to be safe. so yes you will lose your setup. make a back up on your current rom to be safe and that way you can go back. to switch roms the easiest way is to download rom manager from the market. it does all the work for you and if you buy the premium version there are several custom roms and kernals to choose from. of course you must be rooted but t sounds like you already are. Hope this helps.

gszeman

Reaction score
Also, If you use a launcher and you backup the launcher before switching ROMs, when you restore the apps it will keep your screen setups how they are (you might need to replace the widgets...but apps and shortcuts will be saved)

(I use Helix Launcher from the market and Titanium Backup)

Good luck!

OP
D

David522

Reaction score
Yes i have rom manger, i dont know where to make a backup tho?
Basically im trying to get from buglessbeast 1.0 to DarkEdge UI

Im still learning about roms, Whats nandroid?

Last edited:

gszeman

Reaction score
What ROM are you using now?

Nandroid (definition taken from here): A file typically created in the custom recovery program, such as SPRecovery, that is a carbon copy of whatever state your phone is in before a drastic change is made. the file then can be moved onto or off of the SD card for later use in case something should go wrong in the ROM or Update, or a Boot Loop occurs

DarkEdge is a theme, not a ROM...a theme is applied over a ROM...more for aesthetics than functionality.

From the DE thread: DarkEdge has been tested with the stock ESE81, CM 5.0.6.2, Stock 2.0.1 and DM 2.0.1 ONLY
Any ESE81 Based rom that has been DEODEXED "SHOULD" work, but do so at your own risk, Please make backups!!