WhatsApp

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Please_help_me, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Please_help_me

Please_help_me New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung S3 mini
    Hello all,

Please could you help me with saving the whatsapp messages on my account.

This is what happened:

I have a new phone, so l download whatsapp on the new phone and requested a text with a verification code on my old phone (as l have not yet swapped my old sim card over to the new phone). But then l realised l had to backup my messages before changing over from my android to the iphone as the new device could not see my chat history (l am keeping my old number). So l uninstalled whatsapp on the new phone.

I then went to my old phone to back up my messages but l cant get into whatsapp, as now my old phone is asking me verify my number.

I have not backed up my messages and l really need them all.

If l verify my number on my old phone will l loose all my messages (it is the same number and same phone as l've always used on whatsapp (samsung s3mini)?

Can l somehow cancel the verification so I can save my chats?

Sorry to be longwinded but I wanted to give you all the information.

Thanks so much.

Kind regards,
    Orla

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I'm not familiar with the protocols for WhatsApp but I know it's supposed to be more secure than other chat services, and may include encryption. That said, they probably set up that verification code system so that once you move your account over to another phone you can then sell your old phone and somebody can't just reinstall the app and have access to all your old texts. Since the messages may also be encrypted, once you close out an old phone the encryption key is probably dumped and this would make recovery of the texts impossible.

So my gut feeling is that you have already lost the texts. Perhaps somebody else has better information.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#2 FoxKat, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gudasau

Gudasau Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +689
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z-Force
    @FoxKat is probably right, but have you tried contacting Whatsapp directly with this question? I don't know anything about the app, personally, but have found that some of these developers are very responsive and quite helpful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1