What's your overall opinion?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by kashmir728, Oct 15, 2011.

1. kashmir728

kashmir728 New Member

I've heard the good and the bad about the droid 3. I've had it for about 2 weeks and I have not had a single problem. The phone is snappy, fast and has an overall great design. The only problem is no 4g, but the droid 3 will hold me over until the droid 4, which is already in talks

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  2. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

Overall, I love this phone. What I love most about it is the spacious keyboard which motorola has finally perfected. I can't imagine them finding a way to improve the keyboard.

3. TyrannoTaurus

TyrannoTaurus New Member

The keyboard is great, the phone is fast, awesome battery life (post-update), soooo easy to see in direct sunlight, all around greatness. They just need to make the camera faster to both open and auto-focus and I might never want to get rid of it.
  4. cwbcpa

cwbcpa New Member

I am very happy with my Droid 3. I don't miss the 4G since it is not fully rolled out in my area. The D3 is quick and opens most things as quick or faster than my wifes iPhone 4. The keyboard really is about perfect. The screen is great although some people complain, I don't see the issues. Its the perfect size too. Big, but not too big. The only improvement I would like to see is with the camera. Its slow to open and take pictures and the pictures are not that great. I have not played with the camera that much though so I might be able to improve it and not know it. Overall I highly recommend the Droid 3.

5. REMilk

REMilk New Member

With the Droid 3 BOGO promotion (@ for $149), I upgraded from an OG Droid and my wife from an LG EVY 3 to Droid 3s about 7 weeks ago. Mine would not complete activation and was immediately replaced. There have been no problems with the 2nd one and my wife has had no problems with hers. I went this route as I could not justify the expense of getting the Bionic for me @ $299 and spending another $150-$200 for her. (These were the prices in late August 2011).

My wife is very pleased with hers. She is using the laptop less and less and using the web and social media apps, Facebook and Twitter, on the Droid 3 more and more.

I thought I would miss the 4G, but in looking back, I have not. While home, I am connected to my home network and while traveling, I have connected to hotel networks, airport networks (when free), library networks, MacDonalds, Panera Bread, Starbucks, etc, and client networks. I seem to nearly always have a high-speed connection.

Neither phone has mysteriously rebooted. My phone is rooted, but no apps are frozen or deleted, and my wife's is not. She is pleased with the stock Home Screen/Launcher and I am running "Go Launcher EX".

Battery life, has improved with the update and we consider it acceptable. We both are usually able to get the entire day out of an overnight charge.

We have no issues with the screen, we find it very clear and bright.

Just my opinions here, your may differ.

Bob
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

You may want to try some of the camera replacement apps in the market. People are having success with Cameral FX, Pro Camera Zoom 5X and Vignette. There are others and try them all and you'll find one you like. BTW, I think they all are faster than the stock motorola app.
  7. mbaker

mbaker New Member

I've had my Droid 3 a little over a month now and I love it. On the other hand its my first Android phone, so I'm comparing to my iPod touch. Its pretty snappy, the display is awesome, storage space is good. I haven't had any problems at all, other than bricking it through ignorance once. I'd recommend it without reservation.

8. Johnnyb

Johnnyb New Member

I pre-ordered this phone the day after they opened for pre-orders. So, I've been through the rough patch with random re-booting and less than great battery life. Now that those item's have been fixed I find that I really love this phone. I am currently rooted and ROM'd (Steel Droid 2.0) and the phone is extremely stable and responsive. My droid life consists of the OG droid, the Droid X and now the Droid 3. I truly feel like each purchase has been an upgrade. Maybe not immediately but once we get root and the devs go to work, things start improving.
  9. kashmir728

kashmir728 New Member

The droid 3, in my opinion, is just a droid bionic with no 4g and a keyboard

10. Johnnyb

Johnnyb New Member

But, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  11. kashmir728

kashmir728 New Member

Its a great thing. The dual core processor does wonders. No 4g no problem. Plus the best keyboard I've ever used on a phone

12. DroidXDoes4G

DroidXDoes4G New Member

Everything in the D3 is amazing, except the camera.

13. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Apart from the 4g, do you consider the D3 an upgrade from the DX? 4G will not be in my area for awhile. I'm sure its much faster than the X.

Sent from my DROIDX
  14. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

4G uses too much battery power. I'm not even interested at this point. A D3 is totally different from an X. The X has a bigger screen and no keyboard. If that's what you want then the Droid X is the right choice. If you don't mind the somewhat smaller screen and if you like a keyboard then the Droid 3 is the way to go. The X is a great, great phone. It is a bit older so it may not be able to run more intensive software as well, but I think that for most people and most software, the X is a more than adequate phone. The Droid 3 rules.
  15. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Well said! Thank you :)

Sent from my DROIDX
  16. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 New Member

I guess I feel very different from most who have replied.

My wife and I upgraded from OG droids and we are not impressed with D3
    Hers goes from 100% battery to 0% in five hours with ZERO usage. Something is making the radio work all the time ( I deleted every app I could)

My browser is slow - loads about as fast as my D1
    My battery life is better than hers but not as good as the D1
    The messaging app (which is almost identical to iphone) is horrible. no enter to send and I can't stand any of the other messaging apps
    The gallery sucks - wish the old one was back
    Cellular reception is awful - I have a network extender and neither of our D3's will stay on 3G even right next to it
    About 3 times per day while trying to look at web pages I get a 'no connection' error.

Really wish we had returned them within the 14 days instead of trying to tough it out...
  17. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

Oh I can.. change it so you don't need to use alt for the "?"! I use it so much more then "/". But other than that, I completely agree. This phone is amazing.
    Wow.. even with the update? Really should have returned it back for either a new set of the same phones and see how that works, or different phones. Sounds like you got a bad poor?
    Coming from the D1, the web browser is much faster with duel core.
    Battery lasts at least 2days now with light-mod use after the update
    The messaging app.. not even close to the iPhone one. Blue and gray with squared bubbles? iPhone is white and green with rounded boxes.. lots of phones have this style, the D1 was about the same too.
    Gallery looks better, but the D1 was easier to get to so I agree with that. But I downloaded the Atrix one so I'm good now.
    Cell reception is great here.
    No problems with connection.

If you have warranty, I'd get that checked out. Or, try and see if custom Roms help out with those issues.
  18. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

And half the ram

19. kashmir728

kashmir728 New Member

Oh its most definitely faster than the droid x. Id even put it above the x2. Id go as far as saying the droid 3 is the best 3g phone on the market

20. REMilk

REMilk New Member

I agree that there is something amiss.

My wife and I both have Droid 3. It took a little work, but we both charge our Droid 3s once a day, nightly and my wife always makes it through the entire day and usually I do.

1. Turn your screen brightness way down when indoors. The default is set to automatic. Menu/Settings/Display/Screen Brightness. Uncheck automatic brightness and move the slider far to the left. The times you wish to use it in bright light and need the brightness increased, you can change it this way or use a 'Brightness Control Widget', that contains a slider. There are several in the App Market. We use our Droids 75%+ of the time indoors.

2. If you are running an 'active' task manager/killer (runs in the backgroud). Remove it as these seem to use a lot of resources. Only use a task manager to stop runaway tasks.

3. For social media apps, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. Set the sync interval to NEVER! I think the defult may have been 15 minutes. Manually sync when you want updated. (This is potentially a major user of your radio).

4. News and Sports widgets. Set the sync interval to NEVER! Do you really need continual, instantaneous updates? Manually sync when you want updates. Caveat, there are times when I change my sync for news to more frequently, when there is major news story that I feel I must follow.

5. Weather widgets. Change the sync cycle to something more realistic as 2 or 3 hours. These are usually set to 15 minutes. Again, depending on the weather forecast, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzard, I will change the sync for these events. Also, you may not even know it, but you might have more than 1 weather widget running. (This is potentially a major user of your radio).

6, Turn off services when you are not suing them. Example, Bluetooth, I turn it on, when I am traveling (and I remember my Bluetooth device). The remainder of the time it is turned off.

7. Use Wifi rather than 3G for data. Yes, the WiFi radio uses a little more power than 3G, but the Wifi signal usually travels less far than the 3G signal (in reality WiFi is using less power) and the transmission speeds are far greater resulting in less time using the WiFi radio over 3G radio.

8. Battery monitors. These also use cycles reducing battery life (time between recharge)

9. All other 'active' type widgets, evaluate the need to have these sync or update frequently. If possible, change these to sync manually or at least at a greater interval.

10. If you are not using Verizon apps (VNavigator for example), then uncheck Verizon location services. Menu/Settings/Location & Security). No need to poll Verizon, if you are not using their services.

Now, all this being said, I have the following active widgets and apps and services I usually get a full day.
    Fancy Widgets Pro (Weather syncs every 2 hours)
    WeatherBug (syncs every 2 hours)
    Touchdown Service (corp email and calendar (auto-sync))
    Go Widget Calendar (auto-sync)
    Astrid task (auto sync)
    Go Facebook Widget (Manual sync)
    Go Twitter Widget (Manual sync)
    Google+ Widget (seems to be Manual sync)
    Tiny Battery Widget (constant).

Just my opinions and experience, your most likely will differ.

Bob
    1 person likes this.
Search tags for this page

what is an overall opinion