What's your favorite metal band?

jimmydene84

Reaction score
I forgot about Van Canto.

Not sure if you can call them metal (they're acapella, kinda) but if you enjoy anything resembling rock/metal, you'd prolly like them.

The lead singer could very well have the best rock/metal voice on the planet. Check out their song Kings of Metal. Or their cover of Battery.

...plus the female singer is super hot...

Maynard has the best voice IMO :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The lead singer could very well have the best rock/metal voice on the planet.

I disagree..... Jonny Craig (Dance Gavin Dance/Emarosa) or Tyler Carter (Woe, Is Me) has the best imo.

+1 to the second part though

Wow. I must be the oldest guy here. When I here "metal" I think.

Iron Maiden, Megadeath, Motorhead, and Spinal Tap. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Maiden got me into it..... too soft for me now though lol. Theyre still good though. Wasnt impressed with the newest cd though =/

Last edited:

ivan_411

Reaction score
Lamb of God
Devildriver (planning on getting the cross of confusion tattooed)
Rammstein!!! May 20th in the pit!!!!!!!
Rage Against the Machine
Korn (up to the issues album)
The Doors
Rob Zombie

Exayex

Reaction score
System of a down, Lamb of God, trivium, American head charge, gogiria(I think that is how you spell it lol)

It's Gojira.

And @ the person talking about Death Magnetic...I listened to it. It's awful. It's not nearly as bad as St. Anger though, but still. The whole "bands change and grow and evolve" argument doesn't apply to Metallica. They started as Thrash. Their goal was to play faster, louder, and longer than anyone else. Then 1990 hit and they decided they'd rather appeal to a broader audience, and that's where it all went downhill. And I'm not one of those "waah, they sold out cause they got popular! They suck!" Types of people. They're song writing is just plain awful now. The drumming isn't even competent. The riffs are weak and repetitive. The vocals....I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing every other word end in "-yah!"

On a side note, as of late, I've been listening to a lot of early Demon Hunter. I hate Christian Metal bands, but their early stuff is excellent, especially for Metalcore which I also hate.

Also, The Generals have been dominating my listening time. Some amazing Death N' Roll. And then I rediscovered my love for Gorod and God Among Insects.

666ogre666

Reaction score
I forgot about Van Canto.

Not sure if you can call them metal (they're acapella, kinda) but if you enjoy anything resembling rock/metal, you'd prolly like them.

The lead singer could very well have the best rock/metal voice on the planet. Check out their song Kings of Metal. Or their cover of Battery.

Im sorry but I would STRONGLY disagree with you on that one. Van Canto has got to be one of the worst bands ever.

Jerome900

Reaction score
Metallica, pantera, killswitch, lamb of god, atrayu. The list goes on... although I'm not up to date on new metal bands. What's good that is new. Maybe a new band.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
"
The lead singer could very well have the best rock/metal voice on the planet.

I disagree..... Jonny Craig (Dance Gavin Dance/Emarosa) or Tyler Carter (Woe, Is Me) has the best imo.

+1 to the second part though

On a more serious note. I'll call Roy Khan of Kamelot. When I get home I'll check your guys out. I'm always game for good bands with good singers.

But if we're going to go with pure vocal talent of any metal band (regardless of ppl's elitist ideas of what metal is, its still classified as metal), I call Simone Simons of Epica. Tarja of Nightwish is close.

On a side note, I love the Roy Khan/Simone Simons duets. House on a Hill might be my favorite of them.

Exayex

Reaction score
I'm saddened to see so many people out there think female Power Metal vocalists are great. I think a lot of people are just blinded by the female voice, and thus, biased. How can you honestly hear Nightwish or Epica and think their vocalists are any better than Ronnie James Dio? Oh wait, they're girls. That's right.

[video=youtube;EbyDZxO86co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbyDZxO86co&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

^Much less abrasive to my ears than Power Metal, and features 2 much better vocalist, including Jorgen Sandstrom, the best growler out there, easily. Their newest album features Ruby Roque of Witchbreed...

Pound for pound, the best vocalist is Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. Second best growler out there, and an amazing clean voice on top of it. On top of his body of work (Seriously, is there a more solid library than Opeth's?) he's not mortal.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Considering they're classically trained opera singers, yea, I think its safe to say they're good at what they do.

I'm amused at the whole girl = pop or whatever. I'm even more amused at ppl that judge a band without even listening to them based solely on who is singing or on how their style is classified. (Like kamelot. From what I can gather, even fans of power metal agree that kamelot is different from the rest of the genre)

I can accept that some ppl prefer growling over actual singing, to each their own. I can still dig it, but I've grown to appreciate truely talented singers, and not just metal growlers. I've always been open to various types of music. I'm as likely to listen to mozart as I am to metallica.

Last edited: