What's your favorite metal band?

wetwilly1643

Reaction score
Well it all depends why style of metal. You have older metal to new metal. Old are the great metallica, megadeath, judas priest, black sabbath, pantera and ect. New stuff that I think that is good. Five finger death punch, all that remains, killswitch engaged, times of grace and etc.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
I've always found it amusing how people say metallica sold out. If they sold out all their new albums would sound like the black album (one of the most successful albums of all time). Instead, they change their sound with each album, even when doing so seems to be unpopular. This sounds to me less like selling out and more the mark of an artist.

Not to mention they simply can't write the same music as when Cliff was alive. Cliff was a huge part of early metallicas sound (as was mustaine). Also, you can't expect the same music from 40+ year olds,married with children, to write the same music as when they were 18.

I personally say kudos to metallica for changing their music as their lives change. Some bands have been playing the same music for 30+ years.....ac/dc....(I honestly can't tell the difference between their newest album or their first)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1000 - can't "like" from Tapatalk or I would!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

celtic11

Reaction score
I've always found it amusing how people say metallica sold out. If they sold out all their new albums would sound like the black album (one of the most successful albums of all time). Instead, they change their sound with each album, even when doing so seems to be unpopular. This sounds to me less like selling out and more the mark of an artist.

Not to mention they simply can't write the same music as when Cliff was alive. Cliff was a huge part of early metallicas sound (as was mustaine). Also, you can't expect the same music from 40+ year olds,married with children, to write the same music as when they were 18.

I personally say kudos to metallica for changing their music as their lives change. Some bands have been playing the same music for 30+ years.....ac/dc....(I honestly can't tell the difference between their newest album or their first)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I think most people say that Metallica sold out for two reasons...

1)It seems after the black albums success, all their albums were a lot more "radio friendly." I'm not hating on them for that because lets be honest, we all want to make as much money as possible yet expect our "idols" to be above that. I personally think most everything from Load to St. Anger was pure trash but I don't attribute that to selling out. Expecting a bunch of mature 45 year old millionaire's to play like they're broke 20 year olds is asinine.

2) Napster. This one pisses me off the most because I pay for all of my music and have no problem giving the artists I love some of my money. It doesn't matter how rich you are, when you are working to provide something to people, whether it be a service or art, you deserve to get paid.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Napster situation was ridiculous for two reasons:

1) It led the RIAA going after everyone one and his mom for theft. Broke students and people downloading here and there shouldn't be arrested and booked by the FBI over the situation, nor should the be taken to civil court for thousands in damages. Large-scale offenders fine, but not John Q Citizen just grabbing a few tracks.

2) It wasn't even affecting album sales. Despite the fact that the costs of producing CDs, warehousing, shipping, etc had dropped and dropped CDs were still being released at $14.99 and up, and yet fans were still buying albums.

Metallica was already on the downhill slide musically at that point anyway. Progress is fine, but after the Black Album they had fewer and fewer quality songs on each follow-up. How Revolver gave Death Magnetic Album of the Year I will never know, but they were also still praising what's-her-face from In This Moment as one of the hottest chicks in metal despite the garbage that was their second album so what else should I expect?

Of "The Big Four," Metallica is without question in last place in terms of what they put out these days.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Napster situation was ridiculous for two reasons:

1) It led the RIAA going after everyone one and his mom for theft. Broke students and people downloading here and there shouldn't be arrested and booked by the FBI over the situation, nor should the be taken to civil court for thousands in damages. Large-scale offenders fine, but not John Q Citizen just grabbing a few tracks.

2) It wasn't even affecting album sales. Despite the fact that the costs of producing CDs, warehousing, shipping, etc had dropped and dropped CDs were still being released at $14.99 and up, and yet fans were still buying albums.

Metallica was already on the downhill slide musically at that point anyway. Progress is fine, but after the Black Album they had fewer and fewer quality songs on each follow-up. How Revolver gave Death Magnetic Album of the Year I will never know, but they were also still praising what's-her-face from In This Moment as one of the hottest chicks in metal despite the garbage that was their second album so what else should I expect?

Of "The Big Four," Metallica is without question in last place in terms of what they put out these days.

Yes, these days the new Metallica stuff isn't nearly as good. But isn't that the case with pretty much all bands? Maybe not the Offspring I guess...

As for downloading music, I can't afford to do it through a company such as iTunes or any other. I will buy hard to find songs but as of right now, my phone has 500+ songs on it. There's no way I could spend $500 on music. I have that in my truck's sound system and its a pretty good one.

Boot Manager

celtic11

Reaction score
Yes, these days the new Metallica stuff isn't nearly as good. But isn't that the case with pretty much all bands? Maybe not the Offspring I guess...

As for downloading music, I can't afford to do it through a company such as iTunes or any other. I will buy hard to find songs but as of right now, my phone has 500+ songs on it. There's no way I could spend $500 on music. I have that in my truck's sound system and its a pretty good one.

Boot Manager

Obviously everyone has their own opinions on the matter but my phone has around 1500 songs and everyone of them has been paid for. I agree not everyone who downloads music should be treated the same. Sometimes I will download a few songs to see if I like them, if so I will buy the CD.

Also, to say downloading music didn't hurt album sales is ridiculous. There used to be multiple "music stores" in malls across America that have since gone out of business because of pirating music. Our mall had two, now none. Also used to have about 4 locally owned music stores... now 1. Also if you were a concert goer you would gave noticed a huge increase in concert ticket prices right around the time music downloading blew up.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Music stores went out of business because they couldn't compete with the prices that most big box stores were selling at or the increased competition as online buying took off. I'm not saying that digital downloading didn't change things, but it isn't just illegal filesharing that crushed it as that only accounts for perhaps 20% of the loss, as noted here: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/hyunhong/www/napster.pdf. You can just read the abstract and the conclusion so see the salient points.

iTunes as a concept is great, but charging a dollar per song when you no longer have to deal with the costs of production, warehousing, packaging, or shipping on the digital front is to me over-the-top. Everyone is realizing higher returns when choosing to use the electronic medium and the savings should be passed on to consumers. I like seeing bands now producing and distributing their own albums and giving them to their fans at fair prices.

Besides that, Apple just isn't metal :D

Reaction score
Not all exactly metal but definitely heavy ...

Black Sheep Wall
Converge
Magrudergrind
Seraphim

Just what I'm rocking at the moment. Changes quite often.

TU_PADRE

Reaction score
Power Quest , Buckethead, Justin Beiber

Sent from my HTC HD2 using DroidForums

Blacksantron

Reaction score
Buckethead - blackened coffin... Great tune

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

SASChii

Reaction score
KREATOR!!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7xBj0bDD8">[video=youtube;dR7xBj0bDD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7xBj0bDD8[/video]

D
eath
Deicide
Coven - (Blessed is the Black, Boneless Christian, Death Walks Behind You)
Morbid Angel
Sepultura
Soulfly
Annihilator
Napalm Death
Testament

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
Alright fellow metal heads, I've got a question for ya. Is there an app that has some good selection of metal radio? Pandora and Slacker are good for just about any other genre, but their selection of metal sucks. Live 365 seems to have some good selection, but I turned it off before I got through all the advertisements. I need something that has a good selection, but I don't need to sit through 5 mins of ads to listen.