What's your all time favorite Movie?!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Reaction score
According to Wiki about Shawshank Redemption;

The movie was nominated for seven Academy Awards in 1994 (Best Picture, Best ActorMorgan Freeman, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Original Score, and Best Sound Mixing) but, in the shadow of 1994's big winner Forrest Gump, did not win a single one.
I beg to differ, Forrest was better, is better, and will always be better than Shawshank Redeption.:icon_ banana:

to each his own but no way! Andy Dufresne rules!

Shawshank460.jpg

cuskit

Reaction score
Shawshank and Forrest Gump were BOTH excellent. But if I go by the DVD's that I watch most often over and over, it'd have to be a toss up between Chevy Chase in the National Lampoon Griswold Series. Probably Christmas Vacation toots my horn the most. Chevy is tied with John Candy for my most favorite actors - so any of their movies could be my choice. Trains, Planes & Automobiles leads my John Candy list.

If you break it down by type of movie - there's my Comedy picks. For the rest by category:

Drama would have to be Heat (Robert DeNiro).

Action Adventure
is more difficult. It's a dead heat with Die Hard (original), Braveheart and Bourne Ultimatum.

Sci-Fi - Oh yea! - Star Wars! :) A VERY close second is a tie between Terminator and Jaws (if that can be considered sci-fi).

Horror has to be a tie between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Alien

Romance (is that a category?) a runaway with Chasing Liberty (I just love Dessum Norma as well as the rest of the music) followed by Casablanca and Titanic (the newest one).

Documentary - that's real easy - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream!

Animation wins with Lion King :)

Musical - hmmm, that'd have to be Wizard of Oz!

Family? I have to go back a few years, but easily It's a Wonderful Life! (James Stewart)

War - Full Metal Jacket (sorry, but it is what it is...)

Sports - as a retired motocross racer, I have to go with On Any Sunday..

So - this was obviously a very difficult decision on all of the above. I've got literally well over 500 DVD's, and I'd say there's probably well over 100 that I watch monthly (I'm not much on regular tv and commercials).

You asked for our all time favorite - sorry, I just can't with all honesty say I have only one. My twenty or so picks above probably still don't do justice to another three or four dozen that I could easily, on any given day - vote for the best also! :)

Corinacakes - may I take the liberty of saying this is an excellent thread! Life in reality sometimes is good, sometimes bad, and almost always a soul searching experience. Movies have a huge place in our lives because for just a couple of hours we leave ourselves behind and embark in another world - that of the big screen before us. And as such - our own lives become so much more precious and valued in comparison to the "make believe" world in which we lose ourselves once the movie starts. I applaud your choice of topic and thank you for the good time I've just had reliving many of these theatrical titles! :)

mikey
- the bewildered confusionist (a word Webster would put in his dictionary had he ever met me)! ;)

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

The movie was nominated for seven Academy Awards in 1994 (Best Picture, Best ActorMorgan Freeman, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Original Score, and Best Sound Mixing) but, in the shadow of 1994's big winner Forrest Gump, did not win a single one.
I beg to differ, Forrest was better, is better, and will always be better than Shawshank Redeption.:icon_ banana:

to each his own but no way! Andy Dufresne rules!

I'll see your Andy Dufresne, and raise you a Lieutenant Dan!

forrest_gump_xl_02-film-a.jpg

lol.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought of more favorites, some when i was a kid.

Hatari with John Wayne
Where Eagles Dare
Our Man Flint with James Coburn.

I can still watch these flicks and get a kick out of them.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Favorite comedy movies and very honorable mentions (because cult classics make it impossible to list in any order)
Reanimator (hardest I've ever laughed at a movie ever. I was in pain for 2 days.)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Zombieland
Hangover
Dumb and Dumber
Happy Gilmore
The Princess Bride
Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Dazed and Confused
American Pie
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

Slighter

Reaction score
The greatest amount of quotable lines Ever.
[video=youtube;Hvf8r3cX3vo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvf8r3cX3vo"]YouTube - the best of outlaw josey wales[/video]
"Get ready little lady , Hell is coming to breakfast"

Last edited:
OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

meanie!! lol

@ whoever said monty python and the holy grail...i named my cat "kinigit" after a line in that movie where he calls his mother (i think) a sniveling kinigit lol

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
This question really can't be answered fairly... you have to break it down into catagories like someone did a few pages ago... but, if I had to just mention a few..
Scarface = #1
Godfather 1 & 2
Goodfellas
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Pulp Fiction
Nat'l Lampoons Vacation (all of them)
Happy Gilmore
Road Trip
Old School

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i loved Kill Bill!!! you think they'll make anymore sequels?