Whats up with the lack of updates?

hydro556

Reaction score
I dont plan to root my Nexus, and I know that is one of the main draws for this phone.

The other main draw is quick updates for this phone because it is a Nexus. That was one of my driving reasons for buying this device. But, there have been no updates. Does anyone know what is going on?

My phone has been performing great, and I love it, but I would love some upgrades. Why are there no updates, other than if you root?

Reaction score
there was an update on the day of release. i'd say that was pretty quick.

the next is supposed to come soon.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
Please, the one on release cannot be considered an update. We are looking for an update to address the issues experienced since then. But then, I am sure you are aware of that.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
4.0.4 is believed to be out fairly soon according to speculated release dates of past. However, no one knows for sure

x25064

Reaction score
Verizon update their phones? Lawl.

One of the most frustrating things about the gnex is the lack of updates. I would have thought being a Google phone that it would get updates for every problem it encountered. The nexus s gets more official support than the gnex sadly.

Reaction score
Please, the one on release cannot be considered an update. We are looking for an update to address the issues experienced since then. But then, I am sure you are aware of that.

say what? the first update brought the phone from 4.0 to 4.0.2 ICS. but then i'm sure you're aware of that.....:blink:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Been alot of threads on this topic lately. Just keep an eye on the news section or a thread regarding someone getting it. Patience peoples

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Been alot of threads on this topic lately. Just keep an eye on the news section or a thread regarding someone getting it. Patience peoples

Or install 4.0.4 now :biggrin:. I'm running the 4.0.4 OTA without root so I can rent movies. Its great.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Pat you already know it's not the rooted/ROMd users making these threads lol

reggie14

Reaction score
I really expected another update by now. We're almost three months in and there hasn't been an update since release day. For any other phone that wouldn't be surprising, but since Galaxy Nexus users are almost beta testers for ICS, I expected an update within one or two months of release.

<wild speculation>
I suspect there's a few things going on. First, I know Google has been testing internal ICS builds for the Galaxy Nexus. I'm guessing they haven't gone smoothly. Second, maybe the Google Wallet thing pulled some of Google's Android developers away. I don't know how separate they keep the OS guys from the app guys, but I bet there's some overlap. Third, if the rumors are true, some other phones are going to see ICS updates starting this month. Google might be prioritizing fixes for those phones over incremental improvements on Galaxy Nexus. There's been some complaints from handset vendors that Google doesn't provide that much help to handset vendors besides whoever gets the Nexus phone. Maybe they're trying to mitigate that.
</wild speculation>

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or install 4.0.4 now :biggrin:. I'm running the 4.0.4 OTA without root so I can rent movies. Its great.

How did you get the 4.04 OTA update, when there is no 4.04 OTA for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah but then why is the nexus s getting so much love?

Sprint.

Forgive the conspiracy theorist in me, but I find it hard to believe Verizon will let these updates to the Gnex go through free and clear with little/no say from Big Red, no matter what they say.

*takes off tin foil hat*

:biggrin: