What's up everyone! HELP!! Should I get the RAZR or Nexus?

RF560

Reaction score
I am a busy guy trying to manage a family, job, business, and school. My phone helps to keep me from losing my mind by keeping all that in order. It seems like my whole life is on the go so I use my phone for work, business, news, camera, music, video and other entertainment. I started out with a DROID X soon as it was released and upgraded to the Thunderbolt for a faster phone and dowlnload speed with the 4G LTE. The battery life was horrible so I got the extended battery. Now the phone looks and feels like a brick once I put a case on it.

Being somewhat of a gadget guy, I like to have the latest and greatest phone. I like the specs of the RAZR, the gorilla glass, kevlar back, water resistance, and internals. I also like the bigger screen and newest OS on the Nexus. I also read that even though the camera on the Nexus was 5 megapixel, the almost zero shutter lag made it the more superior of the two. I am anxious to get a new phone but still undecided. Which one should I get? Thanks.

Reaction score
The NON-Removable battery on the RAZR is a big NO NO for me....The nexus comes with ICE CREAM SANDWICH already and will always get the updates first cause its the OFFICIAL google phone...My personal opinion 100% is that I would go for the nexus :)

Reaction score
The better phone overall is the galaxy nexus in my opinion. The only reason I have a motorola phone is because they're the only manufacturer on verizon that makes a high end physical keyboard phone. If someone else made a high end keyboard phone, id switch instantly. I don't recommend motorola to anyone, but that's just me. Some people like motorola. I think samsung makes fantastic products.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums:) I like the bionic, it is very fast. I've had some data connection issues but since I rooted and flashed liberty rom, I've only experienced 1 dropout since then and a reboot fixed that. There is an update coming very soon which should, hopefully, get rid of this problem. Before rooting, I also had to do battery pulls so I would not want to get a phone without a removable battery.

sent from my liberated bionic using Droid forums

Insidious

Reaction score
Its really a tough one, because not everyone needs to be the first person with the newest OS updates, but the Nexus still will be an amazing phone. Here's my 2 cents: the Nexus WON'T be replaceable by Verizon, or even able to be bought at a Verizon store. (You'd need to go to Best Buy or Costco.) Verizon might even take out a few system apps and replace them with VZW ones. The RAZR will be very durable, heck gorrilla glass, water resistance, and kevlar is pretty enticing. You won't be able to break this thing. I mean Motorolas build quality is good enough as it is, I was running up stairs, tripped and threw my naked Droid 2 into a wall and not even a scratch. So if you like durability and some very decent specs go with the RAZR. If you like HD screens, great cameras, latest OS, and facial recognition technology go with the Nexus.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!!

Hopefully you can find some info here to help you answer your dilemma. It is a toughy for sure!!

alucard9114

Reaction score
Motorola was a great company but now they rush out phones and miss important hardware issues in testing. The Bionic is garbage also if you hack motorola is locking there bootloaders now if you decide against the Nexus go with the HTC Vigor but run from motorola.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
The better phone overall is the galaxy nexus in my opinion. The only reason I have a motorola phone is because they're the only manufacturer on verizon that makes a high end physical keyboard phone. If someone else made a high end keyboard phone, id switch instantly. I don't recommend motorola to anyone, but that's just me. Some people like motorola. I think samsung makes fantastic products.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

i have to agree with u. i have Motorola for all my devices. the cameras really suck except the Xoom.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
btw...ALOHA welcome to the forum. with so many new devices coming out, its hard to make a decision.

throwbot

Reaction score
Seeing as how it sounds like you don't run custom roms or kernels (meaning making your motorola's screen look like an htc, or any other combination of a manufacturers device with someone elses user interface). This would require rooting your phone. The nexus runs what people call "pure vanilla android", meaning it has no user interface, just bear bones ice cream sandwich. You see, the motorola has a locked bootloader so a lot of the "really nerdy stuff" is gonna be extremely difficult, if at all possible.

The nexus is what they refer to as a developers phone, meaning they have placed very little restriction on what you can do with the phone and it's source code. Root it, hack it, get free wifi tethering-they don't care what you do with your phone as long as your having fun. Like I said tho, it seems like you just want a decent phone for a daily driver.

The bottom line is this- both are great phones, and theres a reason you are having a hard time making your decision. Both phones have great hardware, and both are well built. The motorola will be a tank like every other motorola. However, samsungs are also known to be very lightweight, and a lot of people say they feel cheap but I can give testimony to the fact that it is almost impossible to break them (there are videos out there with tests where they drop phones, and usually if there is a sammie in there it fairs the best).
All-in-all, the nexus simply has one or two legs up on the razr. The screen is going to be way nicer (they are both amoled but the resolution on the nexus has about 30% more pixels!) And the camera as well. But the big kicker is ice cream sandwich. Yes, the software is new and bound to have a glitch here and there, but there are simply so many benefits to ice cream sandwich that its just impossible to sit and name them all. And yes, the razr will get it in a few months, but hell why wait. I'm pretty sure the nexus is going to sell way better than the razr, and there IS a treason for that...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

throwbot

Reaction score
Quick note-- the nexus will not, however, have a removable sd card slot, so if you take tons of pictures with your family you'll have to back them up somewhere else eventually.

Another thing, yes the nexus has 5mp with its camera, but the sensor is much more advanced and def produces better photo and video (not to mention there are great video editing features, which I believe are part of ice cream sandwich). Time lapse, panoramic capture- go online and find some videos taken with the nexus. It will blow your socks off!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Couldn't begin to advise you on a phone choice, but I don't like the inability to remove a battery. It's bad enough as it is when you have to replace a battery. Good luck with your decision. dancedroid

Jonas

Reaction score
The nexus in my opinion is going to be your best bet. I have an extremly hard time buying RAZR after that utter rubish RAZR that was the latest and greatest flat phone they brought out a few years back. It was garbage. The only killer is the lack of an sd card, but a photobucket account will fix that. And doesn't it come in 16 and 32 gb versions? If it does, 32 gb is A LOT! Nexus without a doubt.

Sent from my Banana Phone