What's Too Big? Rumors Detail More info on Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 and 6.3

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-awning.png

Samsung is apparently adopting the attitude, "if it works for ya just go with it," when it comes to the "bigger is better" manufacturing trend. We have some new intel regarding their next generation super-sized phablets that will potentially be called the Samsung Galaxy Mega. According to the latest intel there will indeed be a 5.8-inch version and a 6.3-inch version. The "smaller" version will come out first, with the mammoth one due to come out shortly after. Both will likely hit some level of global availability later this year. The rumors seem to include leaked specs as well. Here's a quote with some of the details,

The 5.8-inch version (GT-i9153) will have a modest qHD (960 x 540) LCD display, a 1.4GHz dual-core processor, 8MP rear camera, and a 2600mAh battery. It will come in at 9.7mm thick and it will have dual-SIM capability.

Lesser details are known about the 6.3-inch version, but what we can say is that it will also have an LCD panel, a dual-core Exynos processor, an 8MP rear camera, and a 2MP front camera. Unfortunately we don’t have the display resolution or the CPU clock speed, but they will probably be similar to the 5.8-inch version.

It's easy to scoff at these "McDonald's-inspired" smartphones, but there is no denying the success of devices like the Galaxy Note and Note 2. To that end, what do you guys think? At what point does your phone become a tablet? What is too big to carry around?

Source: TalkAndroid

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know about 5", but this seems too big to me. Phone needs to be able to fit comfortably in my pocket, and also easy to use with just my thumb.

Maybe if I had my bluetooth glued to my ear...but I'm just sitting back and waiting for a true 3-in-1 device (like the Asus transformer, but REAL power to run/dual-boot Windows).

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love my Note 2 and wouldn't mind it being slightly larger. I have no problem using it as a phone with no bluetooth headset. While it is a stretch to get my thumb all the way up to the topmost opposite corner, I still wouldn't mind another inch of screen real estate.

I like to see the big picture...;)

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I would have to say the RAZR m has the perfect size screen. It I'd still a mobile phone and comfortable to have in a pocket all day. I have a nexus now and a bionic before that and prefer a smaller phone than both of my previous phones.

Enrique2SIM

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Certainly this topic is becoming controversial everywhere... how big is too big? is a great question, but it seems that the largest manufacturers are super glued to that "McDonald's-inspired" philosophy and they are willing to release anything that looks interesting to mind of the people, because remember that this phone jumped into the market at a lower price in comparison with the Note 2 or Note 3. What's true is that everyday more and more people is buying larger devices, which only makes stronger the "bigger is better" trend within the mobile market. Personally I still didn't buy none of these huge phablets and actually at the beginning I was against the trend, but now I'm starting to think... how good will I going to see my preferred YouTube videos in such a big screen?:unsure:

Regards

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
5" is the largest I would do on a phone. Even 5 is too big to comfortably reach the opposite corner with a thumb.

acousticshade

Reaction score
After switching from a 4.3" screen to a 5", I have to say I like the 5"size and would probably never go back. I wouldn't mind a 5.5 either, but much more than 6" is getting a bit big to carry around for business purposes.

Bigger screens are awesome for viewing movies, gaming, reading and typing, but there are drawbacks. They are harder to handle one handed, you have to worry about damage if you put it in your pocket & they stick out if you use a belt clip. For me, the drawbacks are pretty minor compared to the benefits.

The bigger the phone gets though, the more people are put off by the drawbacks. Just think off the silliness of taking photos with an iPad. It looks dumb because it is so unwieldy. You can't just whip out an iPad and take a quick photo and you wouldn't use a galaxy tab 10.1 to make phone calls unless you had a Bluetooth headset. People would still use a full size tablet for these functions, but their numbers are very miniscule.