What's the verdict?

Q

qoncept

I dropped my X2 in the sink today and now the home button isn't working. It's airing out under a fan right now and I haven't given up hope, but I figured I better start looking at phones again.

It seems like most of the phones that were hyed and anticipated the most this year have turned out to be huge busts. I had a Thunderbolt till I could sucker someone in to buying it, Bionic sucked, etc. Now that the Galaxy Nexus has been out for a month, how do people feel about it? Is it the best phone available for Verizon right now? Is there something around the corner I could live without a home button for a week or two for? How's the battery life compared to other Android phones?

I've had too many (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt, now X2) so I'm well versed in Android.

HikenGruven

Reaction score
I've never tried this, but I have heard leaving your phone in a bag of rice works wonders.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

ker2gsr

Reaction score
First thing put your phone a container with silica that's the little beads that come in shoe box your gonna need a good amount it helps get the moister out (rice is good enough if u can't get silica) I did this with my Droidx it WORKS with that being said get your x2 running and format it and get rid off it the nexus by far has been the best phone I've owned and I've had a d1 d2 Droid Inc. And a droidx the never ending customization of the nexus has tickled my pickle the battery isn't the best do to the fact that you can't put the phone down but with the right combo rom and kernel I get good life out my battery

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I dropped my X2 in the sink today and now the home button isn't working. It's airing out under a fan right now and I haven't given up hope, but I figured I better start looking at phones again.

It seems like most of the phones that were hyed and anticipated the most this year have turned out to be huge busts. I had a Thunderbolt till I could sucker someone in to buying it, Bionic sucked, etc. Now that the Galaxy Nexus has been out for a month, how do people feel about it? Is it the best phone available for Verizon right now? Is there something around the corner I could live without a home button for a week or two for? How's the battery life compared to other Android phones?

I've had too many (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt, now X2) so I'm well versed in Android.

The current crop of Android phones are, in my opinion, great. Whether you get a Galaxy Nexus, Bionic, Razr or Rezound they are all great and all are about the same in regards to battery life. They all have fast processors and big screens. So battery life is going to an issue you have to manage. All the 4G phones are having some data issues as hand-offs from 4G back to 3G can be a challenge. If you decide to buy, just go to a store an play with them all. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them - honestly!!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Definitely get some hands on time with all 3 current phones, they're all fairly equal right now. Although if you end up liking the Razr I'd wait until the 26th and get the Razr Maxx as it's the same thing with nearly double the battery size and similar thickness.

Obviously I'm biased, but the Nexus is truly an incredible device, I would say it's the only one that has that wow factor.

OP
Q

qoncept

Thanks for the input, guys. Just wanted to make sure there were no glaring issues like some phones have had. I pulled my X2 off the box fan and started it up and it's working fine now, but I think I'm going to go to the Verizon store to play with the new ones anyway. We have an upgrade coming and after selling this on ebay it won't cost much to upgrade if I like it. (Short version: I'm going to spend $250 at lunch)

GeneralZod

Reaction score
The current crop of Android phones are, in my opinion, great. Whether you get a Galaxy Nexus, Bionic, Razr or Rezound they are all great and all are about the same in regards to battery life.
I would say the RAZR Maxx has a distinct advantage with regard to battery life. But to your point, these are all quality devices, with personal preference being the clear decision factor.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I agree with what the others have said but have a question... Do you enjoy roms?

If so the Nexus is an obvious winner!

Other than that check all the phones out and decide which fits your needs best.

orion2001

Reaction score
Definitely get some hands on time with all 3 current phones, they're all fairly equal right now. Although if you end up liking the Razr I'd wait until the 26th and get the Razr Maxx as it's the same thing with nearly double the battery size and similar thickness.

Obviously I'm biased, but the Nexus is truly an incredible device, I would say it's the only one that has that wow factor.
I agree. If you decide to go with a Razr, the Razr Maxx looks like the phone to get....or the Droid 4 if you want a world phone with a sweet keyboard.

hydro556

Reaction score
I personally think the GNex is the best of the current phones, but the Rezound is excellent too. To me, it was down to those two devices. I think the Rezound is great, and slightly less buggy than the Nexus, which doesnt surprise me given that one is running 4.0 and the other is not.

It came down to a couple things, one is that I couldnt get past the very dated look of the Rezound. It reminds me of my two year olf Incredible. But most importantly, I think the Nexus is going to be a much better phone over the long haul. The Rezound will be rendered "old" with every new crop of devices, whereas the Nexus will be kept current for a long time, like the other Nexus phones.

I vote Nexus, but either one and you will be good to go.

hydro556

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. Just wanted to make sure there were no glaring issues like some phones have had. I pulled my X2 off the box fan and started it up and it's working fine now, but I think I'm going to go to the Verizon store to play with the new ones anyway. We have an upgrade coming and after selling this on ebay it won't cost much to upgrade if I like it. (Short version: I'm going to spend $250 at lunch)

lol, this is why I wont buy a used device.

samiusmc

Reaction score
You should research the data/signal issues the Nexus is having with some users. I went through two of them until I switched to the Rezound, which has not had any issues with me.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You should research the data/signal issues the Nexus is having with some users. I went through two of them until I switched to the Rezound, which has not had any issues with me.

This post was number 666 :icon_ devil: Did your computer start on fire by any chance?! ;)

hydro556

Reaction score

Never hurts to be sure. Most everyone is good to go, but there are a few with issues, so it is worthwhile to pay close attention (with any phone for that matter) the first week or so to make sure she is perfect. Then once that is out of the way, you are good to go and get the luxury of owning a Nexus device until your next upgrade.

The 14 day trial is an awesome thing and allows you to never have to compromise on a lesser device or a poor example of the best current phone.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
im going to get a gnex on amazon if they ever have another price cut so i can actually afford one!!

able to get an upgrade but a phone will still cost you +$200 ($300 orginal price) smh what a rip off smh !! still getting one eventually tho lol