What's the secret to easily getting things in order after a wipe and new ROM install?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by tdelet, Mar 31, 2010.

1. tdelet

tdelet New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been rooted for awhile and I'm running the last 2.01 version of BB (I think it was 2.9 or something).

I did all my ROM updates using update.zip. I never wiped or did full nandroid restores - I always did the "no data loss versions".

I keep reading how people flip from ROM to ROM all the time and do full wipes and nandroid installs all the time. My question is, how do you get your phone back with your data and apps.

Before doing a ROM manager install today, I backed everything up through Ti backup. After I installed cyanogen, I got frustrated tring to get my phone back the way I wanted it. Restoring apps takes forever because even in batch mode TI Backup makes me click "INSTALL" and "DONE" for every app. 150 apps at even 30 seconds a pop thats well over an hour of hitting the same two stupid buttons over and over.

Also, I'd love to automatically get back my home screens (app the shortcuts, widgets, etc) in place without having to put everything back manually (though that isn't as big a deal).

So, frequent ROM updaters, what do you do? How do you get things restored to the way you want them?

Are there some secrets of tricks I'm missing?

btw, I wasn't crazy about cyanogen, but I'd like to go to BB 0.9 (or wait for 1.0). I gave up trying to set up cyanogen and restored my backup.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. baniels

baniels Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I usually just go through the process of reloading apps and whatnot. I use applist to save a list of apps to the SD so I can "remember" what I was using before. I usually don't reinstall everything I had been using.

But I've been using the BB 2.1 releases for some time now and each release builds upon the last so there is no need to wipe data.

3. jtaliani

jtaliani New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you donate to titanium, you will no longer need to individually accept apps. As for home screens, I use helix launcher and all of my apps come through on its app data from titanium.

4. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the combo of Titanium Backup and My Backup Pro.

I use My Backup Pro to save only call log, sms, and mms because this data is ever evolving and you can schedule it to run daily and set a limit to the number of backups it saves.

I use Titanium because it has 1 touch backup AND 1 touch restore for apps and data(1 touch restore is a feature in the paid version)

Titanium will even restore your home layout (you will have to reload the widgets tho)

5. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Titanium can backup your call log, sms, mms as well...

6. Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just do a complete backup with mybackup pro. it saves everything and only takes about 5 minutes to restore upon a fresh install of a rom.
    And it has a schedule feature that backs up everything every night... so if anything ever happens, im only out of one full days worth of data at the absolute most

7. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I know, but I have my backup pro set to backup these 3 things every night for easy retrieval. I only do full app+data back ups maybe once a week, the new apps I download I just backup individually in titanium(they are still added to the larger backup file).

This way as long as I'm willing to sacrifice any texts or calls from that given day I don't have to sit thru any backups when I want to flash my phone. It saves me about ten minutes, each time I flash, which can sometimes be several times a day.

8. yamaha83

yamaha83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just use backup pro for my apps and my data... i have titanium as a backup incase my backup pro doesnt work for some reason... which it always does. but it helps me sleep at night! haha why dont you just use my backup pro for everything? it does apps and data and it can be set as part of your daily backup sched...

9. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does mybackup pro give you that titanium doesn't?
    A backup schedule? But since you're doing manual backups with titanium, is there a point to a schedule?

10. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Titanium has 1 touch restore apps+data and my backup pro has scheduling I use both of these features all the time so I keep both of these apps around.

11. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did buy Titanium Backup since Matth3w recommended using it but I havent really used it since. I mainly use nandroid advanced backup and restore although it is pretty annoying to keep restoring my home screen setup since I have 7 screens. I might actually go back to TB in the future.

I'm using the latest CyanogenMod (just updated from 5.0.5.3 to 5.0.5.4 about a half hour ago) and had no problem setting it up. Its extremely fast but the theme is lacking.

12. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Titanium restores helix launcher homescreens

13. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I always go find the post I did of my screen shots :D

14. yamaha83

yamaha83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just tike the schedule cuz i know everything is backed up everyday. if something crashes i know i have pretty close up to date back up. also when i used titanium in the past i had to click install, done, install done, for all the apps.... but with my backup pro i dont have to. it also saves homescreen layouts and backs up my notes and Shazam songs.

15. topaz330

topaz330 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea?? that would make my life 100x's easier on rom upgrades... do i need the donate version or does it back it up when i do the batch backup?

Search tags for this page
backup shazam tags android
backup sms mms

how to recover shazam tags

restoring shazam tags android