What's the point of a Max/Min in SetCPU?

spazma7ik

Reaction score
Like when setting my standard Clock speed, what's the difference between 800/800 and 800/250.

I mean I understand the difference in speed, but what does setting a min value do? Obviously someone who sets it at 800 wants it at 800, so what gives?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the low speed kicks in when you aren't using yur phone to save battery. at least that's what i understand

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
the low speed kicks in when you aren't using yur phone to save battery. at least that's what i understand
The question I have is, how good can that be for the battery and the CPU life?

Going from 0-60 instantly or vis versa seems like it would put a lot of stress on both units.

jacobrv

Reaction score
The question I have is, how good can that be for the battery and the CPU life?

Going from 0-60 instantly or vis versa seems like it would put a lot of stress on both units.

Most processors now are designed to change speed on the fly. For example, Intel processors in PCs and Laptops have what they call Intel SpeedStep which basically sets a min and a max and scales the current based on the load. This is doing the exact same thing. And if I had to guess, I would say the Droid's processor probably already does this, but between 550 and 250 instead of 800 and 250.

So yeah, as far as battery goes, the point is to lower the battery consumption. Stress on the processor? IDK, but its probably just fine. If you set 800/800 you will probably run hotter and have lower battery life, but since you will always be at 800 it will be slightly snappier.

Last edited: