What's the hottest you've seen your Droid temp reach?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did a stress test of my own concoction just after overclocking was enabled, and I reached 174F before coming to the conclusion that the typical user would never see temps at this extreme. Trust me, you don't have to worry about baking your phone. It does far more damage to the battery to reach high temps than the CPU.

Basically just don't worry about it. :)

Exactly that's what I've been telling people too. I've gotten mine up to 178f while stress testing a 1.3GHz kernel I promptly turned it off and took out the battery when I noticed it. I usually don't get above 140 and I'm overclocked to 1.2GHz.
Dang 178F did that hurt your hand when you touched the battery to take it out?

That 178F would be the CPU temp (81C) - NOT the battery temp. If the battery were at 81C, it would be a potentially explosive situation and highly dangerous. 81C is also too hot for the CPU core, which IIRC is rated at up to 75C.

In other words, typical OCing won't break a Droid.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I hit 50C while tethering in a hot car plugged into a charger. I was OC'ed at 1.0Ghz BB1.0. That's just a little too hot for me. But after reading this thread, I might go back to 1.0Ghz. (I went back to 800Mhz after the tethering incident).

zeiroe

Reaction score
Got mine well over 60°c:

in hot cali traffic
in teh charger
with nav going in the dash mont

brando56894

Reaction score
I did a stress test of my own concoction just after overclocking was enabled, and I reached 174F before coming to the conclusion that the typical user would never see temps at this extreme. Trust me, you don't have to worry about baking your phone. It does far more damage to the battery to reach high temps than the CPU.

Basically just don't worry about it. :)
Exactly that's what I've been telling people too. I've gotten mine up to 178f while stress testing a 1.3GHz kernel I promptly turned it off and took out the battery when I noticed it. I usually don't get above 140 and I'm overclocked to 1.2GHz.

What I meant was the cpu was 178 idk what the battery was. The first time that happened I was just charging via USB and a friend called and I picked up the phone and it was scorching hot and I was talking to her and the phone was burning my face lol the second time I didnt touch it, but when I saw it was at 178 I just turned it off and let it cool down.

That 178F would be the CPU temp (81C) - NOT the battery temp. If the battery were at 81C, it would be a potentially explosive situation and highly dangerous. 81C is also too hot for the CPU core, which IIRC is rated at up to 75C.

I realize that, I just worded it incorrectly. Apparently the CPUs limit is about 220 before it gets fried.

bmb0205

Reaction score
Damn I get up to 55C sometimes when loading a page, texting and playing music all at once. Usually I am at about 40 when doing minimal stuff (browsing web slowly and not loading tons of pages, playing music, or texting)

I should try out a different kernel

Darkseider

Reaction score
Hottest was 58c on BB v.7 @ 1ghz. Now with my current setup never went over 48c under heavy use.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

What I meant was the cpu was 178 idk what the battery was. The first time that happened I was just charging via USB and a friend called and I picked up the phone and it was scorching hot and I was talking to her and the phone was burning my face lol the second time I didnt touch it, but when I saw it was at 178 I just turned it off and let it cool down.

I realize that, I just worded it incorrectly. Apparently the CPUs limit is about 220 before it gets fried.

No, the CPU's limit (technically speaking) is 75C (167F) - getting yours up to 178F, you're VERY lucky you didn't permanently damage the chip. As a matter of fact, I'm very surprised it didn't spontaneously reboot itself.

BTW, I realize that YOU knew which temp you were talking about; my post was directed to the person who said that you must have burned your hand.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
I'm running...well, just look at my sig. I have my failsafe in setcpu set to 45c, I've only ever reached like 43c... playing robo defense while listening to music.

I've got a suggestion...maybe someone should start making heatsink cases or something...not sure of how one would go about doing that....maybe a pad on the case thats a good conductor of heat and sits over the processor. Also, that pad on the back of the battery could be replaced with said conductor too. Just a thought o_O