Whats the difference between a blue 4G icon and a gray one?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Blue images are named fully in the app. At least in gb it was...pretty sure it hasn't changed. Notice typically when u switch... its gray. It turns blue later I believe when its "fully" connected.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

As far as I know, the way it works is this:

gray 3g/4g indicator with gray signal bars - phone is attempting to connect to the 3g/4g network, in process of attempting a DHCP lease
gray 3g/4g indicator with blue signal bars - phone is connected to VZW network and has a valid IP. However, device is not fully signed into Google yet
blue 3g/4g indicator with blue signal bars - phone is connected to both VZW network and Google's servers, obviously has a valid IP address

Durandgir

Reaction score
If u look on the Verizon site at the nexus the little 4g icon is blue so wtf?

Is it really? I'm going to go check this out, in all honesty I have never had mine turn blue and have never known anyone else who has had the 3g/4g turn blue along with the signal bars.

cowsquad

Reaction score
Is it really? I'm going to go check this out, in all honesty I have never had mine turn blue and have never known anyone else who has had the 3g/4g turn blue along with the signal bars.

What.? Mine is always blue lol except on MIUI rom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Durandgir

Reaction score
cowsquad said:
What.? Mine is always blue lol except on MIUI rom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's strange because many of us have blue signal bars but the 3G and 4G icon is constantly gray. This is also the case in screenshots everyone posts in all the rom posts. In fact the only time I have seen the blue 4G icon is on Verizon. Could you maybe post a screenshot?

ryanr509

Reaction score
Blue means ur background data is on. Grey means background data is off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

slider112

Reaction score
In pure stock ICS, on VZW, the 3G/4G icons never turn blue. They remain gray. 100% of the time. I know the blue icons are included in the framework but ICS never uses them, at least not on the VZW GNex.

The only thing that turns blue are the signal bars. That shows that not only do you have a data connection, but you are also connected to Google's servers.

It doesn't matter what mock up pics VZW or any other site has. Google's advertising/promotional pics for the GNex have shown both the 3G/4G icons and signal bars as blue since release, however I have never seen a single screen shot in any thread, across multiple forums, that has ever shown blue 3G/4G icons on a users device. Signal bars? Yes. 3G/4G icons? No.

Reaction score
blue is when you're connected to google services (the market, etc), grey is connected to the internet only-at least that what it's supposed to be. it's a little buggy on the GN and not consistent :D

Durandgir

Reaction score
slider112 said:
In pure stock ICS, on VZW, the 3G/4G icons never turn blue. They remain gray. 100% of the time. I know the blue icons are included in the framework but ICS never uses them, at least not on the VZW GNex.

The only thing that turns blue are the signal bars. That shows that not only do you have a data connection, but you are also connected to Google's servers.

It doesn't matter what mock up pics VZW or any other site has. Google's advertising/promotional pics for the GNex have shown both the 3G/4G icons and signal bars as blue since release, however I have never seen a single screen shot in any thread, across multiple forums, that has ever shown blue 3G/4G icons on a users device. Signal bars? Yes. 3G/4G icons? No.

+1. Exactly this.

nleksan

Reaction score
I live in an area with EXCELLENT 4G as of late, at least (I will upload a SpeedTest.net result to show you, but it's like 38,500Kbps Down and 18,000Kbps Up)... I have always had BLUE SIGNAL BARS but after updating from GummyNex0.9.0 to 1.0.1 I can't get blue signal bars no matter what I do? It doesn't matter if it's 4G/3G/Wifi... they stay grey; yet I can access GMail, Google Play Store, etc ??
Have no issues making phone calls, and all texts are coming through to my knowledge; I am getting alerted of Yahoo mail... I JUST WANT MY BLUE BARS BACK!

Durandgir

Reaction score
nleksan said:
I live in an area with EXCELLENT 4G as of late, at least (I will upload a SpeedTest.net result to show you, but it's like 38,500Kbps Down and 18,000Kbps Up)... I have always had BLUE SIGNAL BARS but after updating from GummyNex0.9.0 to 1.0.1 I can't get blue signal bars no matter what I do? It doesn't matter if it's 4G/3G/Wifi... they stay grey; yet I can access GMail, Google Play Store, etc ??
Have no issues making phone calls, and all texts are coming through to my knowledge; I am getting alerted of Yahoo mail... I JUST WANT MY BLUE BARS BACK!

Have you tried doing a clean install? Sometimes wiping everything and flashing the same rom can do wonders.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where all this discrepancy with the signal bars came from but there are only two states:

You're either connected to data:

2012-05-07-09.55.10.jpg

Or you're not:

2012-05-07-09.55.55.jpg

The "4G" icon will never be blue unless it's been modded.

Josefius

Reaction score
I'm not sure where all this discrepancy with the signal bars came from but there are only two states:

You're either connected to data:

View attachment 49816

Or you're not:

View attachment 49817

The "4G" icon will never be blue unless it's been modded.

That looks modded to me :) I don't have a percentile in the battery. Though I am rooted running stock 4.0.4. I might try out Android Revolution HD.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
That looks modded to me :) I don't have a percentile in the battery. Though I am rooted running stock 4.0.4. I might try out Android Revolution HD.

Obviously, but the stock 4.0.2 3g/4g + data icon is exactly the same. It behaves the same. 4G icon will never be blue.