Whats the difference between a blue 4G icon and a gray one?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by CorkYRogers, Dec 22, 2011.

1. slider112

slider112 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ^^^^

This.

2. XXPepper

XXPepper New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Durangdir,

There is no doubt that you are a god-of-all-that-is-the-real-deal. We bow before you.

If your point is that I should have said "other" rather than "older" in my post, you are correct. I apologize that my misspeaking has caused your virtual panties to knot.

You're correct that other versions of Android use green to indicate the Google-data-sync condition. Indeed, that is why I included the "green" comment at all.

But the topic of this thread is a question about "blue 4g icon", hence my focus on that color. The matter of Droid Razr being OEM "themed" blue isn't really relevant because the original question here is about Galaxy Nexus and its blue or gray 3G/4G icons.

I referenced the Razr user guide because, unfortunately, the Nexus manual does not expressly mention the Google-data-sync condition indicator. Happily, a search around the Googleverse can find lots and lots of OEM connection status icons that use white[gray]/blue instead of white/green. Even screenshots! :happy3:

3. Durandgir

Durandgir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are missing the point still XXPepper, firstly yes many OEMs theme android signals blue, its the most common. Still they are GB. ICS does not turn these signals blue at all. That's the point. 3G and 4G simply never turn blue on the Gnex. Ever. They stay gray. Again the RAZR on ICS has not shown those bars turning blue but signal indeed will.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

4. Graymayre

Graymayre Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Referring to OP, when the indicator changes colors (to blue for most GB+ non ROM'd devices), it is because your phone is showing it is in communication with google services.

From my BIONIC running Eclipse 2.2 Red Carbon

5. Durandgir

Durandgir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, thank you there will be some indication of some sort on anything GB+ on ICS only the signal bars turn blue. No 3G or 4G changes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

6. apple_must_die

apple_must_die New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If u look on the Verizon site at the nexus the little 4g icon is blue so wtf?

7. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    As far as I know, the way it works is this:

gray 3g/4g indicator with gray signal bars - phone is attempting to connect to the 3g/4g network, in process of attempting a DHCP lease
    gray 3g/4g indicator with blue signal bars - phone is connected to VZW network and has a valid IP. However, device is not fully signed into Google yet
    blue 3g/4g indicator with blue signal bars - phone is connected to both VZW network and Google's servers, obviously has a valid IP address

8. Durandgir

Durandgir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it really? I'm going to go check this out, in all honesty I have never had mine turn blue and have never known anyone else who has had the 3g/4g turn blue along with the signal bars.

9. cowsquad

cowsquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What.? Mine is always blue lol except on MIUI rom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. Durandgir

Durandgir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's strange because many of us have blue signal bars but the 3G and 4G icon is constantly gray. This is also the case in screenshots everyone posts in all the rom posts. In fact the only time I have seen the blue 4G icon is on Verizon. Could you maybe post a screenshot?

11. ryanr509

ryanr509 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Blue means ur background data is on. Grey means background data is off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

12. slider112

slider112 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    In pure stock ICS, on VZW, the 3G/4G icons never turn blue. They remain gray. 100% of the time. I know the blue icons are included in the framework but ICS never uses them, at least not on the VZW GNex.

The only thing that turns blue are the signal bars. That shows that not only do you have a data connection, but you are also connected to Google's servers.

It doesn't matter what mock up pics VZW or any other site has. Google's advertising/promotional pics for the GNex have shown both the 3G/4G icons and signal bars as blue since release, however I have never seen a single screen shot in any thread, across multiple forums, that has ever shown blue 3G/4G icons on a users device. Signal bars? Yes. 3G/4G icons? No.

Search tags for this page
4g icon grey
4g blue bars
4g not blue
android 4g icon blue white

blue 4g icon

difference between white and blue 4g

why are my 4g bars white
why is my 4g blue
why is my 4g gray
why is my 4g icon grey