Whats Taking 2.1 So Long To Be OTA ??

TheOldFart

Reaction score
This is why forums are both a blessing and a curse. We are privy to info LONG before anyone else therefore people feel like they are tired of waiting.

MOST people have no clue what 2.1 is and are not even aware. They'll wake up one day with the prompt to install an update, reboot and say "What the heck happened to my phone?! It's all different now. Wow this is cool."

Great point cerealkiller. I'm actually surprised that the Droid and other devices don't have more forum users. I've joined several Droid/Android Forums and neither of them have high numbers considering the number of devices that are out there. I would have thought people using the Droids would be more prone to Forum/online use seeing they are generally the 'early adopters' in the market segment and normally more involved and interested in things like this. With 25K members this board alone has less the 25% of the Moto Droid devices sold in the first month alone.

There aren't more forum members because most people just buy a phone or smartphone and simply use it. They have no complaints about it. They try it at the store and if the things they need seem to work then they are happy. That is the vast majority of people.

Then there are those like the ones above, but they have some problem with the phone or smartphone and do a search for the problem on the web instead of just going into the Verizon store. They find forums like this and get their questions answered and never come back until they find another problem. I would guess that is most of the members on a board like this. Some of them might get to reading about things that interest them, like accessories, and stay somewhat active.

Then there are those like me. I want to know about apps and accessories and have the time to search for discussions. I have absolutely no desire to root my Droid or download and install the next OS version before I get it OTA. I'm happy with the Droid and just want to make it a little better. I have gotten info on apps and accessories here and it has helped me a lot. I found the S305 headset here and about 5 or 6 apps that I like.

Then there are those who like to tweak every piece of electronics with a microprocessor that they buy. Some do it for the technical challenge and some do it because they are never satisfied with anything as is.

Then there is the last group. Those who like to complain and want their toys right now. I see them at WalMart all the time. They are normally 3 years old and can be heard on the other end of the store. Some never change.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even though I don't post much on here, I am on daily and love the info on the site. I am really tired of all the complaining that goes on about this phone. I'm only 33 and remember a time when we didn't know what a cell phone was. Hell I thought I was hot stuff in High School, when I had a numeric pager "01134." What I can do with this phone is amazing, and I will have patience waiting on the new update to come out.

Seriously is 10.00.01 out yet!!!

LOL, I agree with you (I'm 31). Though I love this phone and what it represents I will play devils advocate and say that I am kind of pissed that technology in general has moved so much slower than it was promised back in those heydays. While I understand all the complications that have been overcome and am aware of other barriers like costs and consumer acceptance it's taken too long to get only this far. I, and many our age literally grew up with computers (I'm talking the first gen pc's and all their heartaches and promises, lol) and while it seams amazing that we've "come so far" if you actually look at the time-line over the past three decades we've actually been slowing down. Sure computers are far more prevalent in our lives and technology is more advanced. But real, paradigm shifting innovations and implementations are rare now. And even when they occur the take long to implement or become 'main stream' that they once did. So I can completely understand peoples desire to speed things up. But personally I'm far less interested in minor advances in the ROM and more concerned about the next 'leap' that these devices needs to make. Just my $.02

There aren't more forum members because most people just buy a phone or smartphone and simply use it. They have no complaints about it. They try it at the store and if the things they need seem to work then they are happy. That is the vast majority of people.

Then there are those like the ones above, but they have some problem with the phone or smartphone and do a search for the problem on the web instead of just going into the Verizon store. They find forums like this and get their questions answered and never come back until they find another problem. I would guess that is most of the members on a board like this. Some of them might get to reading about things that interest them, like accessories, and stay somewhat active.

Then there are those like me. I want to know about apps and accessories and have the time to search for discussions. I have absolutely no desire to root my Droid or download and install the next OS version before I get it OTA. I'm happy with the Droid and just want to make it a little better. I have gotten info on apps and accessories here and it has helped me a lot. I found the S305 headset here and about 5 or 6 apps that I like.

Then there are those who like to tweak every piece of electronics with a microprocessor that they buy. Some do it for the technical challenge and some do it because they are never satisfied with anything as is.

Then there is the last group. Those who like to complain and want their toys right now. I see them at WalMart all the time. They are normally 3 years old and can be heard on the other end of the store. Some never change.

LOL, agree with all those points. Oddly I think I fit into all those categories. I used cooked ROMs for WM before I came to the Droid (but to be honest with WM you really have to use a cooked ROM as the OEMs SUCK). I don't plan to use a cooked ROM on the Droid but I probably will root it after 2.1 just because it does add a good amount of functionality that is 'missing' from a phone/ROM advertised as "customizable." As for 'wanting [my] toys' you can see the post above. LOL.
Also I don't think there's anything wrong with any of those groups. They all have there purpose and are all important in supporting current technology but also in driving forward (I think one of the reasons we are 'behind' where we should be is there aren't enough people pushing for the advancement of the technologies).

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even though I don't post much on here, I am on daily and love the info on the site. I am really tired of all the complaining that goes on about this phone. I'm only 33 and remember a time when we didn't know what a cell phone was. Hell I thought I was hot stuff in High School, when I had a numeric pager "01134." What I can do with this phone is amazing, and I will have patience waiting on the new update to come out.

LOL, I agree with you (I'm 31). Though I love this phone and what it represents I will play devils advocate and say that I am kind of pissed that technology in general has moved so much slower than it was promised back in those heydays. While I understand all the complications that have been overcome and am aware of other barriers like costs and consumer acceptance it's taken too long to get only this far. I, and many our age literally grew up with computers (I'm talking the first gen pc's and all their heartaches and promises, lol) and while it seams amazing that we've "come so far" if you actually look at the time-line over the past three decades we've actually been slowing down. Sure computers are far more prevalent in our lives and technology is more advanced. But real, paradigm shifting innovations and implementations are rare now. And even when they occur the take long to implement or become 'main stream' that they once did. So I can completely understand peoples desire to speed things up. But personally I'm far less interested in minor advances in the ROM and more concerned about the next 'leap' that these devices needs to make. Just my $.02

Well, I'm 26 years older then you are. Heck I'm so old the microwave was a wonder to me. And in a sense you're right technology didn't evolve the way we thought.

I don't want to get us off topic but most of you probably know the Jetsons. I thought by the 21st Century we'd be in flying cars. I also thought by the 70's everyone would have a picture phone in their house. Disneyland had a demo of this in the 1960's.

Instead what we got was the internet, computers, and the wonderful Droid. So while it hasn't evolved quite like we thought it would it still pretty marvelous. I love all my electronic gadgets.

\

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Well, I'm 26 years older then you are. Heck I'm so old the microwave was a wonder to me. And in a sense you're right technology didn't evolve the way we thought.

I don't want to get us off topic but most of you probably know the Jetsons. I thought by the 21st Century we'd be in flying cars. I also thought by the 70's everyone would have a picture phone in their house. Disneyland had a demo of this in the 1960's.

Instead what we got was the internet, computers, and the wonderful Droid. So while it hasn't evolved quite like we thought it would it still pretty marvelous. I love all my electronic gadgets.

\

WOW, 57 years old. You're still a youngster.

bbtkd

Reaction score
This is why forums are both a blessing and a curse. We are privy to info LONG before anyone else therefore people feel like they are tired of waiting.

MOST people have no clue what 2.1 is and are not even aware. They'll wake up one day with the prompt to install an update, reboot and say "What the heck happened to my phone?! It's all different now. Wow this is cool."

Great point cerealkiller. I'm actually surprised that the Droid and other devices don't have more forum users. I've joined several Droid/Android Forums and neither of them have high numbers considering the number of devices that are out there. I would have thought people using the Droids would be more prone to Forum/online use seeing they are generally the 'early adopters' in the market segment and normally more involved and interested in things like this. With 25K members this board alone has less the 25% of the Moto Droid devices sold in the first month alone.

You forgot one category, the "troll". For those not familiar with the species, they are fanboys of competing devices posting on these forums with the sole intent of stirring up discontent. Most common on these forums are iPhone trolls. You have to give some credit in that they don't hide the fact that they have no Droid, and have no desire to. Another nastier sub-species joins the forum posing as a disgruntled Droid owner. These can sometimes be difficult to spot in the wild, but their colors show when they only want to badmouth Android/VZW/Google/Motorola and when they are offered help with their supposed problems, they disappear in a wisp of smoke.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
What annoys me about this is the fact we got an email about it and I know it was just to inform us, but I think it made people a lot more anxious to get the update, but that is just my view on the whole thing.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
What annoys me about this is the fact we got an email about it and I know it was just to inform us, but I think it made people a lot more anxious to get the update, but that is just my view on the whole thing.

What email? I don't remember getting an email.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

? you did? when was this, though I have only had the phone for about two weeks. Did you sign up somewhere to be "notified" of such things? It SOP for me to opt out of all these sort of notifications. First I saw of it was on CNET when they said that Verizon had been given the 2.1 (that was a few days before CES).

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the droidforum e-mail/newletter on the 5th about the Q & A where it was stated that 2.1 would be coming to other devices.

This is what annoyed me after the Nexus 1 came out and all the blog posted the news that 2.1 would be going opensource in a few days people thought we'd literally get the update in a few days...I can't remember how many time I read. "Great news guys we're getting 2.1 in a few days etc...2.1...is coming in a few days." I mean I really wish it were true but just seems really unlikely. And now people are getting impatient because people got their hopes up. As far as I'm concerned we're still getting it around the 22nd until an earlier official date is announced, of course I hope I'm wrong but the 22nd seems more likely.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The email came from this forum. It was based on what Nexus developers said in a live interview. I think everyone took them literally.

It will be released and probably this month. I'm still going with the rumored date of 1/22.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Guess it was no surprise to me as I had read it on CNET the morning before I got my phone. And, like I said I'm more concerned with other things than a small ROM update. But it does appear they have addressed several things from 2.0 so it will be welcomed. But I will say I'm surprised that some of these things have had to wait till 2.1 to be address (things like a clock/display SHOULD have been standard from the get go, IMHO).

You forgot one category, the "troll". For those not familiar with the species, they are fanboys of competing devices posting on these forums with the sole intent of stirring up discontent. Most common on these forums are iPhone trolls. You have to give some credit in that they don't hide the fact that they have no Droid, and have no desire to. Another nastier sub-species joins the forum posing as a disgruntled Droid owner. These can sometimes be difficult to spot in the wild, but their colors show when they only want to badmouth Android/VZW/Google/Motorola and when they are offered help with their supposed problems, they disappear in a wisp of smoke.
Great point. I wonder if he didn't leave that group out because many people tend to just ignore the Trolls. But they are a group to be acknowledged (so they can be tracked and killed, lol).

Last edited:

Hypnotic

Reaction score

I got an email from the admins here I'll post it up

Email:

Hypnotic,

It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon.

We've got a ton of information on the Nexus One at the following resources:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Guess it was no surprise to me as I had read it on CNET the morning before I got my phone. And, like I said I'm more concerned with other things than a small ROM update. But it does appear they have addressed several things from 2.0 so it will be welcomed. But I will say I'm surprised that some of these things have had to wait till 2.1 to be address (things like a clock/display SHOULD have been standard from the get go, IMHO).

Great point. I wonder if he didn't leave that group out because many people tend to just ignore the Trolls. But they are a group to be acknowledged (so they can be tracked and killed, lol).

I only included legitimate members who have something to say relative to the subject of the board, Droid in the case of this bnard. I don't even read any posts to a thread once I see it is being originated by a troll, as it is just a waste of my time. If we all simply ignored and refused to respond to the trolls then they would stay away. They only have fun if we feed them. If we let them starve then they will die out.